mtbr member
    Jul 2007

single chainring

Ok, Before you all get crazy on me for asking this question here, just let me say that my favorite ride is my Monocog Flight which I ride most often. I do however also like to have a geared ride in the stable. I am building up a Fetish Fixation and would like to run it as an 8 speed only with only one 32 ring on the front. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am kind of assuming that I will need some sort of chain guide but, this is really a singlespeed frame with a rear hanger so, there are no places to bold a chain guide onto. What are my options?

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=158959

Same idea. Lots of good info in that thread.

local trails rider
    Bashring and something like an N-gear Jumpstop.
    Or a guide that clamps onto the seat tube like a front deraileur. I have seen pics of such guides by Rohloff and Roox, at least. A front deraileur with the limiter screws tightened to hold it in position would work too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Bashring and something like an N-gear Jumpstop.
    Or a guide that clamps onto the seat tube like a front deraileur. I have seen pics of such guides by Rohloff and Roox, at least. A front deraileur with the limiter screws tightened to hold it in position would work too.
    Thanks, i'm trying to keep it clean and simple with no front deraileur though. Does anyone make something like a bashring that is on both sides of the chainring? If not i guess the Jumpstop is the best option. I will be running a Surly non-ramped ring too.

local trails rider
    I think Blackspire has a ring that goes on the inside.
    Not sure if all frames have the correct clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

One suggestion...

Look at Salsa's Ring Dinger Guards and Crossing Guards. They aren't bash rings (i.e. don't land on 'em) but as a result maybe they are thin enough to put on either side of your ring. Probably (definitely?) depends on the size of your ring and your BB width.

http://www.salsacycles.com/chainrings.html

I haven't tried this, so ask Salsa or someone who knows, to be on the safe side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i could be wrong but i think redline makes a 1 by 9 which is one chain ring then a nine speed casset

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    use a front derailleur with a 1 x __ setup.

It's lighter than mrp and is simple.

Disconnect the cable and just set it in where you want it once everything is dialed in

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xc-ss'er
    use a front derailleur with a 1 x __ setup.

It's lighter than mrp and is simple.

Disconnect the cable and just set it in where you want it once everything is dialed in
    Yeah, that will look HOT! The idea is to keep it clean and simple, not to ride a bike that looks broken. I ordered a Jumpstop so, I'm going to give that a try. I'd prefer to leave that off too but, I think it's better to use it and not gouge my new frame if the chain does drop off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I know this is sacrilege in a single speed forum but I have owned a Nexus 4 speed hub
    For 4 years now. It is not in my main ride now but I can attest to there reliability. No
    Maintenance, and I donít feel significant drag. Gear changes are really good if it is
    Adjusted properly. So if you donít like the idea of them you have weight to talk about.
    This one has been well used.

Members who have read this thread: 0