Single build- Mtbr.com

Thread: Single build

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Single build

I am looking to build a single speed MTB and looking for a single speed specific frame. Maybe an aluminum frame that is not too expensive. Need suggestions and sites. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just google it. There are plenty out there. Plus without height, weight, riding style, budget it's very hard to advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by billas nrs View Post
    I am looking to build a single speed MTB and looking for a single speed specific frame. Maybe an aluminum frame that is not too expensive. Need suggestions and sites. Thanks
    I don't think you understand how this site works. It's a wonderful resource, there's nearly unlimited information here. But we are not your personal assistants. Do some reading, learn for yourself.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I think it's a fair quest but needs more parameters. Wheels size? Budget? ("Not too expensive" is subjective. To some, a $2000 frame is "cheap.") Suspension or rigid? Do you have any parts for it already?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Actually, I think what he's really asking is what is the cheapest singlespeed specific aluminum frame one can buy these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nashbar Single-Speed 29er Mountain Bike

Nashbar SS 29er no longer on site
    Last edited by Glynn Sluder; 10-01-2017 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Sorry about the newbie questions. So I am 5'7" so frame maybe between a small to medium. Probably prefer a small frame. Wanting a HT since I tend to keep my bikes for a long time (NRS is 17 years old) I don't want to deal with finding replacement rear shocks. I want front suspension. I would probably like to stick to a 26" no more than a 27.5". The only frames I have found are the super pricey titanium ones and the least is the Kona alloy frames. Don't really care for the chromoly ones. The only reason I am asking is I have tried to search here and can't seem to find my answer. Let me try to search again, maybe I'll have luck on my side this time. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If you don't want to deal with the hassle of finding a rear shock let alone one for a single speed, you definitely don't want the hassle of finding 26" stuff. Not sure why you aren't into the steel frames, or 29ers... A lot has changed in 17 years and there isn't much more of a beautiful riding bike than a steel 29er!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Waverys View Post
    If you don't want to deal with the hassle of finding a rear shock let alone one for a single speed, you definitely don't want the hassle of finding 26" stuff. Not sure why you aren't into the steel frames, or 29ers... A lot has changed in 17 years and there isn't much more of a beautiful riding bike than a steel 29er!
    I just don't like the way the 29" look with a small frame. My goal is to try to get as low a weight as possible without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    I just don't like the way the 29" look with a small frame. My goal is to try to get as low a weight as possible without breaking the bank.
    As stated already. I'd go do some research and look some stuff up.

I have a 24lb Ti SS, I am having a lighter Ti SS built, I could make my XC bike a SS and it would be near 19lbs. It's not all about weight.

The Nashbar is gonna be the cheapest ready to ride SS bike. I have one in my garage that my son rides, which I am going to start riding to work on.
    Too Many .

Always in the wrong gear
    A few thoughts
    steel shouldn't be ruled out. Cheap steel rides nicer than cheap alloy. Nice steel is unparalleled in ride quality- except maybe ti, depending on the build. I've ridden some noodly ti, and I've ridden some AMAZING ti. The vast majority of steel bikes (not Walmart) ride nice. It's a safe bet.
    I had an On-One ScandAl (scandium/alum) bike that rode pretty nice, but my old Spec HT SJ alloy rode like a dumptruck. It was fast, but holy crap was it unforgiving and harsh.

Cheap steel isn't light, but as others have mentioned, it's not all about weight. 1.5lbs may represent a 30% increase in weight (6lb steel vs 4.5lb alloy), but that's a drop in the bucket when the bike is gonna weigh 25-26lbs overall. Ive ridden a 21lb Scandium/Aluminum SS, and a 25lb steel SS, and Strava says I was faster everywhere on the steel bike except for one 1/2 mile sufferfest climb that I just can't seem to beat.

26" frames are likely gonna be steel at the lower budget points.

I won't debate best wheelsize, I prefer 29+, but I live in the desert where rollover and momentum trump agility every day. I think wheelsize and tire width are very very location dependent. Ride what you like here.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would advise you to rethink your approach. Dig into this site for a little while and take your time.

I personally spent way too much money upgrading an old steel 26" a few years ago when I got back into mountain biking. Thankfully, I was able to convert it into a gravel path townie and I still gets a lot of use, but in hindsight I would have been much better off starting with a modern 29er. IMO, they are the perfect tool for SS in 99% of applications.

FWIW, consider looking at used complete steel frames. You can usually find some smoking deals out there and be ready to roll in no time.
    Pedal through it!

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My recommendation for an aluminum single speed is an older Santa Cruz Chameleon frame (26"). Not to be confused with the new model, these come up for sale often at pretty low prices. Try Punkbike classifieds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It's steel, but Surly has the 1x1 frameset if you want SS and 26" wheels. Comes with a rigid fork but pretty sure it is suspension corrected.

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would advise you to rethink your approach. Dig into this site for a little while and take your time.

I personally spent way too much money upgrading an old steel 26" a few years ago when I got back into mountain biking. Thankfully, I was able to convert it into a gravel path townie and I still gets a lot of use, but in hindsight I would have been much better off starting with a modern 29er. IMO, they are the perfect tool for SS in 99% of applications.

FWIW, consider looking at used complete steel frames. You can usually find some smoking deals out there and be ready to roll in no time.
    I would basically second this. Spot bikes made some awesome singlespeeds - I am an inch shorter than the OP, but I would give up looks for performance anyway. And here in New England for our rocks and roots, a 29” singlepseed absolutely kills a 26” SS over all terrain. Having made that switch two years ago I honestly could not fathom at first how much of a difference wheelsize made. Features that I had never made with the 26” high end ti SS were suddenly no brainers with the heavier 29” steel SS. Momentum is much more important than weight, and 29er SS carry that in spades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My advice is to focus less on looks and more on function. I was a late convert to 29'' but the benefits were quite obvious after a couple rides. There are very good reasons 26'' wheels are dead.

There's nothing wrong with building up a cheap 26'' SS just to get on the trails. The operative word is CHEAP. Scour Craigslist and eBay for stupid cheap parts because there are plenty of people like me who saw the light and dumped everything to do with 26'' wheels.

Lastly, don't be convinced you have to get a SS specific frame. A rear cog, spacer kit, and tensioner or old derailleur will get you singlespeeding for only a few bucks on any frame.