singeator ??'s (old vs. new)- Mtbr.com
    Klein sits on shelf now..

singeator ??'s (old vs. new)

So, it seems like a new singleator is about $50, and the old style can be found on Ebay for about $25. Is there any real advantage to the new version? Is it worth the extra dough? or should I just use an old rear der. for a free tensioner?

mtbr member

I have the old design

Quote Originally Posted by AdroitBreaker
    So, it seems like a new singleator is about $50, and the old style can be found on Ebay for about $25. Is there any real advantage to the new version? Is it worth the extra dough? or should I just use an old rear der. for a free tensioner?
    I'm running the old design and had to use Loctite to secure the bolt that holds the pulley and guard in place. It would vibrate loose, allowing the guard to fall and grab my chain. I haven't had any trouble since adding the Loctite. The new one looks to be a much better design and may be worth it.

Just Ride!
    On the '04 model, the spring was not strong enough for my particular needs. Pedaling on rough ground would yield chain skip no matter how tight I racheted the spring. Eventually, the spring broke after numerous times of re-tightening. I then bought a half link and now have a tight fitting chain and use no tensioner with great results.

mtbr member

New vs Old

I have the new version and it seems to work great for me. I like the addition of the chain guides so it can't jump off like on the previous version.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Ditch the tensioner, use a half link instead.

Professional lurker
    Hey, I still use one of the ORIGINAL originals (rasta ano, came in a QBP package with no mention of Surley).

Never have had a problem with it.

poser Administrator

re: old style

Quote Originally Posted by AdroitBreaker
    I have the old style with the external tension adjustment and my wife has the new style that uses a 19mm wrench (or whatever it is) and as far as adjustment the old style is infinitely easier to tension and use since you can use an adjustable wrench (think cooltool) vs. having a wrench specific for only the stupid tensioner.

I also had to use locktite on the pulley wheel of my wifes, mine does not have the guard and I have never missed it. Ditch the guard of the newer styles and run 'em in the pushin' up positon. I have rarely ever lost my chain on rough AZ trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I have rarely ever lost my chain on rough AZ trails.
    Ah, rarely implies that you have lost your chain before. I wonder if that would have happened with the guards on?

Members who have read this thread: 0