Simple question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Simple question

mtbr member

Simple question

I ride a ss mtb. But am going to be doing a bike ms run this year for my brother and would like to SS an old roadbike. Has anyone had success with taking apart a couple old cassettes and just using one of the stock front chainrings and one of the rear cogs? This is intended to be like basically free setup so all money would go to charity instead of wasting money on the bikes
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

holding back the darkness
    Sure... but you will still need some sort of tensioner device or a "magic gear". I have used old deraileurs with the lower pulley and cage ground off in the regard with reasonable success. You can bust out the individual cogs from an old cassette and use the leftover bits for spacers and/or cut some spacers out of pvc.
    A note of caution about using ramped cogs (like those in a cassette). Make sure the chainline is as near perfect as you can get. Ramped cogs are designed to want to shift. Good for gears, bad for singlespeeds as the chain will have a greater tendency to wander off the cog and into oblivion.
    I know you're looking for the conversion on the cheap, but for a minimal investment you can get a kit with a plain cog for about $25, or even just the cog for about $10 and use the bits from the cassette for spacers.

mtbr member
    Ya I figured chainline and tension would need to b perfect. If I could find an old one with sliding dropout or track ends I'm good but I have a 20t ss cog for rear I can use just in case
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

Teen Wolf
    i've had success with old road bikes by removing all derailleurs, shortening the chain, leaving the cassette on and finding a gear that works.

Members who have read this thread: 0