silly?, but i'm a measure twice, cut once kinda guy- Mtbr.com
    mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

silly?, but i'm a measure twice, cut once kinda guy

my "magic" gearing is either 32-20, or 32-16. Meaning i need no tensioner on my geared hardtail to run it ss. Now, i've had enough time on it to think the right gearing for me is a touch in between the two, so if those work perfectly will a 34-18 also be the magic gear? i'm ready to order up some real ss rings. thanks.
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member

Don't you mean...

34x17(not 34x18) will be the same as 32x16, both 1:1 setups?

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I'd say it's far from perfect. When you change from 32x20 (perfectly straight chain) to 32x16 the chain will have enough slack to dip ~5/8". Did you notice the difference?

Regardless, 34x18 will be the same as 32x16, if you're happy with 32x16 you'll be happy with 34x18.

mtbr member

well kinda perfect

Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    my "magic" gearing is either 32-20, or 32-16. Meaning i need no tensioner on my geared hardtail to run it ss. Now, i've had enough time on it to think the right gearing for me is a touch in between the two, so if those work perfectly will a 34-18 also be the magic gear? i'm ready to order up some real ss rings. thanks.
    I'd say it's far from perfect. When you change from 32x20 (perfectly straight chain) to 32x16 the chain will have enough slack to dip ~5/8". Did you notice the difference?

Regardless, 34x18 will be the same as 32x16, if you're happy with 32x16 you'll be happy with 34x18.

(note to world : we're talking about fitting the chain, not gear ratios)
    Last edited by pacman; 08-12-2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: sic

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    34x17(not 34x18) will be the same as 32x16, both 1:1 setups?
    They're talking about chain tension and the "rule of 4". Also, I think you mean "2:1"
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

34x18 is a tad shorter than 32x16. It _is_ noticeable.

Granted, if you ride enough you'll get used to it and won't need a shorter gear

Maurice

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    34x18 is a tad shorter than 32x16. It _is_ noticeable.

Granted, if you ride enough you'll get used to it and won't need a shorter gear

Maurice

what i'm looking for is the same chain length so that i don't have to use a tensioner. I have a converted hard tail, and the 32-20, and 32-16 don't require a tensioner. for where i ride the 32-16 is fine, but i'm looking to buy a dedicated freewheel(endless) and chainwheel instead of just using my ramped 32, and busted up cassette cog. and i've read that a slightly larger chainring/cog makes everything smoother, hence the 34-18, but only if it gives me the correct length to not have to run the tensioner.
    thanks again.

minister of chaos
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    what i'm looking for is the same chain length so that i don't have to use a tensioner. I have a converted hard tail, and the 32-20, and 32-16 don't require a tensioner. for where i ride the 32-16 is fine, but i'm looking to buy a dedicated freewheel(endless) and chainwheel instead of just using my ramped 32, and busted up cassette cog. and i've read that a slightly larger chainring/cog makes everything smoother, hence the 34-18, but only if it gives me the correct length to not have to run the tensioner.
    thanks again.
    The 34:18 SHOULD work just fine. It will use the same length change as the 32:20, but will be slightly shorter stay length. If the chain is tight at 32:20, it will probably be too tight, but if it is a little loose at 32:20, you should be perfect. The gearing will be just a bit easier than the 32:16. 1.9:1 vs 2:1
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

mtbr member

bleep

The chain will be looser at 34x18 than 32x20.
    The chain will fit as well as 34x18 as it did at 32x16

MCD, did you ride with 20T and 16T?

32X16 perfect chainstay is 16.952"
    34X18 perfect chainstay is 16.952"
    and
    32X20 perfect chainstay is 16.973"

resident crackpot
    You can also play with different chains of varying wear. I have 32/18 on one of my bikes. The chain was a touch loose, so I searched through a collection of used chains that I have and found one with less wear, put it on and it works fine. I think a new chain would be too tight, but I haven't gotten out to buy one yet. I use a small nail (brad) to check the length of X chain with another chain. Just hang 'em up and pick either the longer or shorter chain...whichever is required. And yes, some chains are worn far too much to use, but those with less than, oh, about 0.025" can be used with confidence. Besides, SS creates less wear than those gearies' chains, especially if your 'line is perfect.
    Last edited by loonyOne; 08-12-2005 at 11:52 AM. Reason: wrong numerical value...

minister of chaos
    The chain will be looser at 34x18 than 32x20.

Well I disagree, and your number back me up, but we're talking about hundredths of an inch.

34:18 has a shorter ideal chainstay lenght, so when you try to put it in the longer ideal chainstay length of the 32:20, it will have to be pulled tighter to fit.

or

imagine a chainstay length of 16.8" The 32:20 will have .173" of extra length, while the 34:18 will have 0.152" of extra.

In this case, it is a pretty small amount, but a significant concept none the less.
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos

mtbr member

what we say and what we mean ...

Frank: Well I disagree, and your number back me up, but we're talking about hundredths of an inch.

I agree with your latest post, it's the original (2) that's wrong.
    If you can mount the wheel at 32:20 then 34:18 will never be too tight.
    If it's loose at 32:20 then it will be even looser at 34:18, never perfect.

(1) Frank: 34:18 has a shorter ideal chainstay lenght, so when you try to put it in the longer ideal chainstay length of the 32:20, it will have to be pulled tighter to fit.

(2) Frank: The 34:18 SHOULD work just fine. It will use the same length change as the 32:20, but will be slightly shorter stay length. If the chain is tight at 32:20, it will probably be too tight, but if it is a little loose at 32:20, you should be perfect.

mtbr member

oops....

your right on the 1:1 / 2:1 thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    They're talking about chain tension and the "rule of 4". Also, I think you mean "2:1"

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    I didn't mean to create an uproar! It sounds like it will work just fine, especially since i have a couple of chains of varying wear to try out. And yes i started 32-20(i ride a 29er), then went to the 16 to try and build up some leg strength and found that i could still ride everything that i could with the 20. At my local trails there are only a couple of spots that i have to walk, and i walked them with my 22-34 geary too, so no real loss. thanks for all the info. i'm off to order my 34-18 stuff.

minister of chaos
    Frank: Well I disagree, and your number back me up, but we're talking about hundredths of an inch.

I agree with your latest post, it's the original (2) that's wrong.
    If you can mount the wheel at 32:20 then 34:18 will never be too tight.
    If it's loose at 32:20 then it will be even looser at 34:18, never perfect.

(1) Frank: 34:18 has a shorter ideal chainstay lenght, so when you try to put it in the longer ideal chainstay length of the 32:20, it will have to be pulled tighter to fit.

(2) Frank: The 34:18 SHOULD work just fine. It will use the same length change as the 32:20, but will be slightly shorter stay length. If the chain is tight at 32:20, it will probably be too tight, but if it is a little loose at 32:20, you should be perfect.
    You're misreading my intention in my second post then. I stand by both my original and second statements, and I still firmly disagree with your assessment. My words may not be clear on my two posts, but let me reaffirm my position: With the same chain length on the same bike, the 34:18 will always be tighter than the 32:20. If you have a chainstay length of 16.973, the 32:20 will fit perfectly. However, for the same length of chain, the 34:18 will be 0.021" too short (remember it's ideal chain stay length is 16.952"). The only way to make it fit, is to increase the tension on the chain by pulling it further away from the bb.
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos