Silence please- Mtbr.com

Thread: Silence please

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Silence please

I'm looking for the equivalent of the Hope 2 Pro rear disc singlespeed hub - sans noise.
    Based on the reviews Chris King, DT, I9 etc are also loud as hell.
    Any ideas for a low-noise solution?
    As a last resort I'd go with a regular 9 speed casette hub - but then again, which one?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    DT's aren't as loud as CK's or Hope's. I have the 240ss and love it. Just cleaned and lubed the ratchet rings last night; oh so easy. The original bearings are still buttery smooth after 2 seasons, and 2009 was the wettest I've seen in a long time.

Good old Shimano's offer the most bang for the buck, and aren't too loud.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    I'm looking for the equivalent of the Hope 2 Pro rear disc singlespeed hub - sans noise.
    As a last resort I'd go with a regular 9 speed casette hub - but then again, which one?
    Wouldn't we all

I lover how silent my Rigid SS is when pedaling and although I like my Pro2 and CK in my other bike and warmed to the noise I would love a silent freehub

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    true precision is silent. But cassette style singlespeed isn't made by them.

I think shimano 9 speed would be the easiest and best bang for the buck.

I went out last night on my sscx with XT hubs and it was so quiet compared to my proII trials. Really eerie..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    XT is my backup plan.
    How 'bout American Classic? They say it's quiet... although costs quite a bit more than Shimano. But then DT's aren't cheap either... Are they quality items?
    Also thinking about the NoTubes ZTR hub...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silence please-ac_single_speed_disc.jpg  

mtbr member
    American classic is good quality, I've ridden one of their older hubs on a road bike. Don't know how loud the new design is though, but the old shimano-style cassette body one was silent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a Hope Pro 2 and love it. Niner says it best: "Pedal Damn it!"
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    http://www.trueprecision.net/Merchan...egory_Code=MTB

true precision DOES do cassette-ish style hub but it seems you're limited to a proprietary bolt-on cog?!
    (sure ISAR could make a custom one if you needed it)
    but anyways, absolute silence, perfect engagement, bingo bango
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    I borrowed a SS wheel about a month ago for a longish ride that featured a Bontrager SS hub. Not sure what the model was. It was dead quiet, so much so that I specifically noted the lack of noise. I ride a relatively quiet WTB hub but the Bonty reminded me what silence is, beautiful.
    May not be of the level of Hope but I figure it's as far a deviation as the True Precision hubs are, just the other way.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    I just got a new CK wheelset, and the hubs are fairly quiet. Only a low buzz when freewheeling. My LBM says that they get noise when they get dry ... so I guess I just won't less them dry out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    TP sounds good- just extremely heavy, if that is a concern. The rear hub is around 500 grams. I'd go with Shimano before American Classic. I like quiet hubs as well and cannot stand the Hopes. Even the I9s are too clicky for me but the Kings are not annoying. I lube them once a season or maybe twice and the buzz is not annoying to me at all. The DT is an option but due to the falling dollar, the price has been going up a lot without any increase in hub quality or improvement in design. They are good hubs and easy to maintain and my only issue is the engagement really sucks and even the upgrade gives me only half the engagement of a King. With the upgrade and recent price hikes, they are pricier than the Kings too.

I'll look into the Shimanos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    TP sounds good- just extremely heavy, if that is a concern. The rear hub is around 500 grams. I'd go with Shimano before American Classic. I like quiet hubs as well and cannot stand the Hopes. Even the I9s are too clicky for me but the Kings are not annoying. I lube them once a season or maybe twice and the buzz is not annoying to me at all. The DT is an option but due to the falling dollar, the price has been going up a lot without any increase in hub quality or improvement in design. They are good hubs and easy to maintain and my only issue is the engagement really sucks and even the upgrade gives me only half the engagement of a King. With the upgrade and recent price hikes, they are pricier than the Kings too.

I'll look into the Shimanos.
    Thanks Flyer. So, if I just keep the CK's lubed, then they will just have this pleasant low buz?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, they have a buzz that is far more pleasant that the clicking sounds of some other hubs. If you lube it, it will stay muted for 3-4 months and you will hear it but it sounds like a few bees buzzing. I definitely prefer quiet hubs. See if your local forum has someone who can meet up with you and let you hear their CKs.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I just got a King SS hub and it's definately a "buzzzzz" sound, which I only really notice when riding to the trails.

Once I'm in the local network my concentration is centered on the trail and I'm oblivious to any noise the hub makes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have been using a Phil Wood KissOff SS hub that is pretty quiet and very reliable.

.RJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    WTB single duty hub is super quiet. Happy with mine.

I ride with tools

my solution:

Surly hub with White Industries ENO freewheel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    Surly hub with White Industries ENO freewheel
    Got that on my karate monkey... one of the loudest I've ever ridden. The only thing louder I've seen is an old Hugi on a Klein Karma.

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by knightrider81
    I have been using a Phil Wood KissOff SS hub that is pretty quiet and very reliable.
    Wow, post #15 in the thread before somebody mentioned Phil Wood.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Im looking to get a hope pro II singlespeed hub in the future. If im not wrong its the trials hub thats singlespeed right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenTwo
    Im looking to get a hope pro II singlespeed hub in the future. If im not wrong its the trials hub thats singlespeed right?
    Yep.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

trail rat
    This is the only way I know to get a truly silent SS hub.

No pawl noise whatsoever!

That said, I have a WTB Single Duty that is quieter than any other hub I know, and I have a Hope Pro2 & Sun/Ringle, and ride with folks with Hadley, King, Am. Classic, DT 190/240/340, XT, XTR. Only the XT is as quiet, but slightly louder if you want to split hairs.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

More than a little slow
    Stealth hubs http://www.trueprecision.net/

Don't have one, but saw them up here at the bike show early in the year and they looked really good. I wanted one, well actually two, but I don't need them, yet.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    What I currently have on bikes I'm currently riding.

In order of quiet to loud.

Mavic Crossmax - I know, not a dedicated SS wheelset, but very, very quiet

Chris King - Just a nice buzzzzz sound, I actually kinda like it

White Industries FW - Not to bad, but does have that clickity sound of the Hope but much quieter

Hope Pro 2 - Absolutely the loudest and kinda annoying
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Welcome to the Gem...
    http://www.trueprecision.net/Merchan...egory_Code=MTB

425 dollars is a lot for a rear hub... but totally silent.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gek4pfuS_-4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gek4pfuS_-4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

i have an ENO freewheel. love it. love the sound... /shrug
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    BMX freecoaster hubs (can coast backwards without pedals moving) are completely silent.
    KHE makes a disc brake version of the Geisha freecoaster hub but the drivers are only available in 9t and 11t and it's heavy. I have one on my street/dj bike.

You can also convert coaster brake hubs into a freecoaster hub

I ride with tools

That's odd

Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo
    Got that on my karate monkey... one of the loudest I've ever ridden. The only thing louder I've seen is an old Hugi on a Klein Karma.

My WI ENO freethingy barely makes any noise at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    My WI ENO freethingy barely makes any noise at all.
    How old is yours? Mine is fairly old (came on a used bike) and probably doesn't have much grease left on the pawls/ring. If it's newer it may still have enough grease to be silent. It's much louder than the DT 340 I have and the King my friend has.

Those True Precision hubs look cool, anybody have any info on how the roller clutch works/is serviced?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo
    How old is yours? Mine is fairly old (came on a used bike) and probably doesn't have much grease left on the pawls/ring. If it's newer it may still have enough grease to be silent. It's much louder than the DT 340 I have and the King my friend has.

Those True Precision hubs look cool, anybody have any info on how the roller clutch works/is serviced?

Real simple.... I have 2 for my daughter on her race bmx bikes...
    On the nondive side there is a allen screw for a lock collar- loosen that up and remove. Press the spindle thru the hub from the nondive side and it should pop free frairly easily. Remove the driver from the hub. This driver is basically a inner race that the needlebearing clutch contact. clean the dirt and old lubricant off the driver and inside the hub shell/clutch. Take the Driver and dip into Automotive Transmission fluid (reccomended by Todd Ackert @ TP-owner) letting the excess drip off. Insert back into the shell and rotate backward like you are freewheeling. That will help spread the lubricant. reinstall the lockring and tighten the screw. Then RIDE!!!

She rides/races her bikes a minimum of 3 days a week and I do this once a year.. Once you feel a true instant engagement you won't want to ride any of the other wanna-be's....
    A simple way to explain the feeling is a " Fixed gear that coasts and backpedals"

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The newer shimano XTs--at least on their complete wheelsets--have more engagement points and are loud for a Shimano hub. But still way quieter than CK or Hope. No Singlespeed version though AFAIK, so you'd just have to space out a geared one.

...In the meantime.
    I always wonder why people complain so much about noise? That question posed, Hopes are loud, properly maintained Kings are not. I'll take alittle bit of noise for a significant increase in performance and drop in weight anyday.

As others have already posted if you want high performance and no noise True Precision is the way to go (though they are very, very expensive and quite heavy).

mtbr member
    Run it fixed. Then it will be completely silent.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by hchchch
    Run it fixed. Then it will be completely silent.
    That was my point in post 22, maybe no one has seen a TomiCog before?
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The TP Stealth is the nicest hub I've ever ridden and for 425 buck it aight to be. Instant engagement is really nice on steep rides. Feels a little weird acctually.

nothing to see here
    Good weird? or freaky weird?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It doesn't feel like riding a freewheeling bike. It almost feels more like a fixed drive-train because the engagement is so instantaneous. It's really nice in a low gear when you climb a steep section almost like riding a fixed gear with a low gear. I bet they would be great with a belt drive setup.

nothing to see here
    Sounds nice. Would be cool to be able to back pedal to avoid strikes, and get the right drive from tight uphill switchbacks, without worrying about engagement delays. No concern re weight?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Bacon
    It doesn't feel like riding a freewheeling bike. It almost feels more like a fixed drive-train because the engagement is so instantaneous. It's really nice in a low gear when you climb a steep section almost like riding a fixed gear with a low gear. I bet they would be great with a belt drive setup.
    You just said the magic words - I'm a fan of fixed gear, although not offroad (I lack the skillz...). But if a freewheel hub can feel like a FG hub... that's something I've got to see! ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    Sounds nice. Would be cool to be able to back pedal to avoid strikes, and get the right drive from tight uphill switchbacks, without worrying about engagement delays. No concern re weight?
    Weight weight weight...... why does everything go to that.... Ok so the Stealth hubs are a little on the heavy side. Seriously though.. Being that it is a overall weight issue and not a rotating issue I wouldn't worry about it. To have a product that performs like these hubs is worth the little weight penalty that you would have.. Case in point, on the BMX side of riding you have alot of parents who are extreme weight weenies for the kids bikes, but will sacrifice a little weight just to give their kid a little advantage out of the gate and in the turns. I guess what I am trying to say is that 99.9% of the people riding are strong enough that the little weight penalty is a mute point in the grand scheme of things.

Just go for it and you will never look back.........

mtbr member
    Those true precision hubs do look interesting. A couple of people mentioned the weight, how heavy are they? I also don't like the proprietary cogs which are only available up to 21 teeth (I use a 24). I'm sure TomiCog or ISAR can make something, but that question would always be in the back on my mind.

I have been riding a Hope SS hub for about 2 years now and It has been great. It's a little load, but I never notice it on the trails. From a price/performance/weight point of view it can't be beat. Also, the SS version has 48 points of engagement versus the 9 speed hubs 24 points, definately makes a difference. I have been toying with the idea of trying different greases in it to see how it effects the noise.

Mark

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    After a long-long debate with myself about the two possible options: the cheapest or the best, I went with... Well, guess what, money won, so I chose the good old XT hub with Stan's Arch 29er rim...
    True Precision looks great and promising and everything but I just couldn't justify spending that much money on one single part of the bike... maybe when the Shimano hub will be about to die, or after winning the lottery... ;-)
    The noise the XT hub makes is really not loud or annoying, so I'm fine with that. I hope it will endure the winter & mucky riding conditions in the mud for some time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No worries. The XT hub is a good solid rear. I'm using it on my Pugsley without any issues. Mine is the 775 series. I have a 756 on my Big Dummy that also sees winter.

I like the True Precision hubs and I would buy one yesterday if they could match the weight of a DT Swiss 240 but they don't even come close.

Members who have read this thread: 0