Signs of loose bearings?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Signs of loose bearings?

So what are signs for loose wheel bearings?

I have Redline hubs on my Monocog Flight 29 SS. I've been noticing some "click" or "pop" where it feels like my head set is loose up front. But it appears to be coming from the hub.

Also, the rear will sometimes have a similar feel like the chain is about to drop. But I check and the chain is taught. Wondering again if it's loose bearing or sliding drop-outs "adjusting" on their own?

The QR are snug. They aren't impossibly tight. But are firmly clamped.
    Just get out and ride!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    should only take a second to pull the wheel off and check. If theyre cup and cone bearings, it's very possible that they're loose. They dont stay tight very long at all for me.

habitual line-stepper
    aren't the stock bearings sealed, not cup/cone type? i asked about replacing hub bearings when i picked up my monocog and the lbs guy wasn't too concerned.

i did notice some pops or clicks coming through the drivetrain yesterday on my ride and was curious to wether it was chain tension or chainline related. i can't imagine the hubs going out so soon.

achiever
    They are sealed. The rear could be the freehub skipping... it kind of sucks. Redline branded Formula, I believe. Mine started popping after a month or so but it never outright failed.

mtbr member
    So I took it back to LBS. He checked my chain tension and then lubed the chain and attributed it to the chain wanting to crawl off the cog.

I'll give it another shot.
    Just get out and ride!

Life is Go0d!
    The cog on the rear will sometimes loosen a bit, make sure its tight. Check the wheel bearings to make sure they are not loose on occasion. Sometimes the front ring is out of round, when new, that will cause the chain to bind, and pop, when the chain is in its tightest position in the rotation. There are high spots on the front ring, its not perfectly round. Adjust tension on the chain to be correct, at the tightest point in the rotation.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

Members who have read this thread: 0