Signifigance of 29er?- Mtbr.com
    6x7=Dont Panic!

Signifigance of 29er?

I've noticed that a lot of 1x1ers have 29ers. What is the signifigance? What are the advantages? Is it that big of a difference?
    Herro prease

Just Ride!

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    I've noticed that a lot of 1x1ers have 29ers. What is the signifigance? What are the advantages? Is it that big of a difference?
    Yep, check the 29" board for lots of answers. Here's mine:

Pluses: rolls way better over obstacles, rolls faster over uneven terrain, more stable at low speeds, turns better (seriously), tracks straighter through deep mud, less prone to endo'ing on waterbars, wheel parts readily available (just a plain ole 700c 'cross rim).

Minuses: limited tire choice, weight, need to beef up the wheelbuild a bit to achieve the same strength, weight.

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004

Smile

I agree with glowboy's points. I also find that big wheels roll through sand and blown out conditions better than 26" wheels.

Moderator Moderator
    But the biggest signifigance is BIGGER WHEELS ARE MORE FUN! (at least for me)
    Sold all my 26" bikes. Biggest disadvantage is there is no 2.3" tire and the bigger wheels weigh more. Rumor is a 2.3+ tire is in the works for a summer release.

gentle like

i'd be onboard ...

... if only there was a little more suspension available with 29" wheels. the 75mm currently available just doesn't cut it for me. besides that, i really liked the ride - and the way it carried momentum.

who's planning the 2.3" tire?

On MTBR hiatus :(

80mm to 100mm...

[QUOTE=kept man]... if only there was a little more suspension available with 29" wheels. the 75mm currently available just doesn't cut it for me. besides that, i really liked the ride - and the way it carried momentum.

[QUOTE]

...forks available from White Bros and Marzocchi. The White Bros BW series is stiff and light (shure ain't cheap) and leaves little to be desired.

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    The best part is that you can forget about suspension in most areas I have ever been as soon as you are on big wheels ... just rolls smoooooth ...
    Probably makes as much sense as Singlespeeding - zero, nada ...

gentle like

believe me ...

i'd love to be able to forget about having 'enough' suspension, but sadly the ti pins in my shoulders don't let me. without 100mm, i get the swelling, which can induce the tendonitis, and the pressure on a nerve ... it generally sucks. i tumbled just once snowboarding last weekend; didn't bug me at all at the time, but the next day - and then the next - well. after daily icing and ibuprofen, i'm good to go again tomorrow. but what a pain in the rump.

the white bros. is a pricey beast - i've never ridden a whitey fork, but if it's as good as it sounds, would be worth it. particularly since they currently appear to have the market cornered. i too thought marzocchi had a 100mm 29er fork, but for '04 i can find no trace. wasn't it what they used on the top-end 29er sugar last year? oh well. give it another year or two and i'm sure more forks, tires, rims, etc will be readily available.

Recovering couch patato
    The added comfort of a 29" bike is no fable. Because of the larger radius, the tire will hit an object (like a root) sooner, ans leave it later. The defflection of the wheel due to hitting and rolling over the root, is shallower, relieving everything attached to it, like your arms and shoulders.
    I'd say that the added comfort is comparable to 3cm of travel, so like a softtail with really bad suspension vs. a full rigid bike.
    Many riders that always had 26" FS bikes, have made the switch to 29" hardtails, without feeling a lack of comfort.

I believe Fisher is using a 100mm Marz unit on the new Sugar.

The White Bros IS worth the money. It's many times stiffer, significantly lighter and easier to operate than a Marz, at very similar cost, at least here in Europe. It being hand-made in Colorado might be a factor for some, too.

And if 100mm should not cut it for you, some handywork may open possibilities to go even bigger. Converting upside-down DH forks to 29" is one of them.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    i'd love to be able to forget about having 'enough' suspension, but sadly the ti pins in my shoulders don't let me. without 100mm, i get the swelling, which can induce the tendonitis, and the pressure on a nerve ... .
    White Brothers makes a 100MM travel fork called the BW 1.0

No more excuses not to get one now. My 85mm travel Marzocchi (yes, you can squeeze an extra 5mm by taking out oil) is super plush. With the bigger wheels - as mentioned above -requiers less suspension travel for some reason. Heck, i'm riding mine rigid right now and i'm a pretty big wuss too.

gentle like

okay, okay, okay,

i'll stop my worrying and give an 80mm 29er a try - though i have been keen on the idea of a 5" hardtail trailbike ... so that 130mm equivalency on a 100mm fork sounds nice.

as for rigid; well, no. call me a wuss if you like. though i love my 'cross bike dearly, it just kills me on anything more than fire road. and i don't think fatter tires would help enough. i learned the really, really hard way to err on the side of cushyness, and so cushy is how i will stay.