Show me where this is wrong.- Mtbr.com
    The Original Suspect

Show me where this is wrong.

I have a On One Scandal that currently is set up 1x10 which I love. But, I originally built it to be a SS. My dilemma is that there are days I want to ride SS but I don't want to take the time to switch the bike over, take the derailleur off, remove the shifter...etc.

I know the obvious and best answer is to buy another bike. Yes, that is my plan but I am looking for a quick fix.

My question is this: What would be wrong with just swapping my wheel out with another with a single cog and leaving the derailleur in place as the tensioner?

Just Ride
    Even easier still, find a gear on the rear that is close to or even the same you would run on a SS and just leave it that gear. At least till you do get another bike. That is what I did when tossing around the idea of picking up a proper SS. It wasn't perfect as there was chain slop. But it did give me a general idea. So it will work, but it's only temporary.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Even easier still, find a gear on the rear that is close to or even the same you would run on a SS and just leave it that gear. At least till you do get another bike. That is what I did when tossing around the idea of picking up a proper SS. It wasn't perfect as there was chain slop. But it did give me a general idea. So it will work, but it's only temporary.
    I TRIED to do this before I got a SS. Psychologically you always know you can change gears and that's the rub.

Wanna ride bikes?
    there are a few potential problems. it could probably be done but chainline would be the biggest problem. it would totally depend on your cranks and what hub you choose for your SS rear wheel. i think most freewheel SS hubs use a 52mm chainline. but others are adjustable with spacers. getting the derailleur to line up could be challenging too? and it creates more drag but it's temporary i guess.

if you decide to try it, you should use a different chain for the SS setup and keep them separate.

interesting idea but sounds like more trouble than it's worth. to me
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

The Original Suspect
    I have a spare wheel, nothing special, just a Deore hub. I don't think chainline will be much of a problem. I run an 18t cog as a SS and looking at my bike in the 19t on the cassette it is perfectly straight. So, I may match that spacing.

Actually I am trying to eliminate the hassle. Drop wheel with cassette, insert wheel with cog and go...pretty simple actually.

Wanna ride bikes?
    only one way to find out then. do it.

i know a few people who tried to mix and match different drivetrain components and usually ended up with skipping problems.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

The Original Suspect
    That's my worry, is that a bump may knock the chain off, even though I'm running a clutch. I may give it a shot and see what happens.

nothing to see here
    You should be ok
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Commit.

SPP
    Rigid.

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    Can you put it in the gear you want and just put a zip tie on the derailleur?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeps Elgnis View Post
    Can you put it in the gear you want and just put a zip tie on the derailleur?
    Back to post #3. It just isn't the same.
    Los Angelino looking to escape the clamor.

mtbr member
    I have a similar setup-
    SS- Stans Arch / 3.30 hub with a 20t Surly cog and spacers. chain shortened to correct length with a quick-link. On-One Smorgasborg 2.23 tire, tubeless.
    geared- some DT Swiss rim laced to a Woodman hub with a 11-34t XT 9 speed cassette. I have a X9 shifter and X7 short-cage RD and a longer chain to accommodate the derailleur with a quick link. Conti X-King 2.2 tire, tubless.

installing the shifter, cable, and derailleur is easy. I leave the shifter clamp on my handlebar at all times with a nut to hold it in place when it does not have the shifter pod bolted on. that way, I don't have to remove my grip. the cable just links into the cable stops on the frame and the RD just bolts on.

swapping the wheel sounds easy, but the big PITA is the rotor. because the hubs are slightly different, the caliper (Shimano SLX) has to be re-centered on the frame when I swap wheels.

realistically, the only step I am saving when I do this is swapping the cog/spacers for the cassette, which is probably less work than trying to re-center a stubborn brake caliper. I am starting to think I should ditch the second wheel and keep it around as a spare and just use the Stan's wheel when I want to go gears. the only other problem I see with that is that the Stan's freehub body seems to be made of a soft cheese, so even with an XT cassette, the cogs start to dig into the freehub body, making removal of the cassette difficult.