Shoulder Issues--arm might fall off??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Shoulder Issues--arm might fall off??

Hey guys, been loving the SS the last couple of years. Really the only MTB I like to do now. Bad shoulder, injury from 20+ years ago. I have a rigid KHS steel SS, and don't really want to swap out to my reba. Had my stem with a negative rise, flipped it for an 8mm increase (don't know how this will affect climbing yet) in hopes it will help on the downhill shock. Any suggestions for good weight training exercises that help you deal with shoulder instability for riding? Any other suggestions?? Do not want to take time off.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Torn rotator cuff therapy I had to do.

Grab your bad wrist with your good wrist behind your back (10 seconds). Then reach towards sky w/ both biceps touching ears (10 second). Do these for a timed 10 minutes. 4 times a day for 3 weeks. It is harder than it sounds to get 4 times a day.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Cripes!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Grab your bad wrist with your good wrist behind your back (10 seconds). Then reach towards sky w/ both biceps touching ears (10 second). Do these for a timed 10 minutes. 4 times a day for 3 weeks. It is harder than it sounds to get 4 times a day.
    Yeah! Who thought holding your arms over your head with your biceps close would be so hard! I will definitely be working on these--thanks!

Dirty South Underdog
    I think that a doc and physical therapist could help you a lot more than a bunch of jabroneys on the internets.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    I think that a doc and physical therapist could help you a lot more than a bunch of jabroneys on the internets.
    This is true, but I was hoping to get some information that directly relevant to our sport. Like strength on rocky descents sort of thing.

openwound
    Band exercises as shown by Rep. Weiner in the picture...

Name:  shoulder_exercise.PNG
Views: 235
Size:  174.8 KB

If you don't have a band, you can use an old tube, preferably a road tube. Doesn't require a ton of tension/resistance. Form and reps is more important than amount of resistance.

jabroni
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If by chance your arms do fall off, I've got dibs on your bikes.

Sent from my "girlfriend"... According to my wife.

the discerning hooligan
    Don't neglect the ice and vitamin I ( ibuprophen). If you need to keep the rigid fork at least run the biggest cush tire you can fit.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks to everyone for their input. The exercises and stretching seem to help quickly. I will also look at larger volume tire than my rampage 2.3.

mtbr member
    http://scooby1961.blogspot.com/2010/...-shoulder.html

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/shoulder.htm
    see: "Stabilizing Exercises For Shoulders" part way down the page.

mtbr member
    You might try a bar with more sweep. I just recently switched to a Ragley Carnegie bar "25 degree sweep" and am amazed at how much more comfortable it is.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    You might try a bar with more sweep. I just recently switched to a Ragley Carnegie bar "25 degree sweep" and am amazed at how much more comfortable it is.
    I am curious about those bars. How do they climb though? I actually like a narrower bar with bar ends, but have gone to a wider bar for better control on the 29er. The wider bar has helped the shoulder some itself.

Exercises are definitely helping. Going to avoid the rocky downhills for now though. Interesting, the more dynamic mountain bike riding is better than a long road ride in a set position. Did a 60+ mile road ride over the weekend, and I experienced a lot poorer sleeping from it waking me up for the next couple of nights. Not too bad last night after the Wednesday night MTB though. Encouraging.

Low Rep Count
    There are alot of different exercises out there that you can do. I am a personal trainer part time and have worked with quite a few clients with shoulder problems/rehab.

1. Dumbbell lateral raises- db in hand w/ arms at sides. Raise arm out to side to shoulder height, slight pause, then lower back down to your side. Repeat this for 10-12 reps for 3 sets

2. Dumbbell press- you can do this seated or standing. Start with arms at shoulder height and forearms pointing up with db's in hand (db's will be about ear/top of head height). Press db's upwards until arms are extended overhead. Return to starting position. Repeat for 10-12 reps for 3 sets.

3. Bent over lateral raises- As it says, db's in hand, bend over at the waist with arms/db's hanging towards the floor. Extend/raise the db's out to the sides until arms are parallel to the floor, pause, and return to starting point. Repeat 10-12 reps for 3 sets.

4. Exercise similar to what was pictured above-w/ db in hand move to the same starting point as the db press listed above in #2. Instead of pressing up, rotate the db forward from the shoulder. Your forearm should remain perpendicular to the biceps. Let it rotate down to at least parallel to the ground. If you can go lower, do so but do not allow the upper arm to move from being parallel to the floor. Then rotate the db back up to the starting point. Repeat as directed in other exercises listed above.

5. Opposite of #4- this one requires a cable machine or a training band as shown in the above pictures. with the band/cable attached to an object over head and behind you, start with arm in the same position as the db press, rotate hand forward just like in #4, this time you will be pulling a weight down instead of lifting it back up.

Exercises 4/5 and the one pictured above both focus on the rotator cuff area and are great rehab exercises. You do not need much of any weight at all with these. In fact, for #4 you can even use a book of some sort simply held in your hand. Exercises 1,2,3, while causing the joint to move through its normal range of motion, focuses more on the 3 headed deltoid muscle group (shoulder) and hit all three heads of the muscle.

Here is a quick clip from You tube of some of the described band exercises that are great for rehab/warmup for the rotator cuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2SW6...eature=related

Lateral raises
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdWoOpGGivg

Bent over lateral raises
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3N7O...02862961F8D6AA

DB Press
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEwKCR5JCog

Hope this helps you out some.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    carnegies are pretty dope. i tried the mary first. it was alright, but felt a lil wonky.

the carnegies felt a lot more natural. love em.

the (very) lil bit of climbing ive done on em felt just fine. except for the sore legs and burning lungs. pretty sure its not the bars fault tho.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb. - 2011

Climbing ain't so bad. - 2019