Should I just put it behind me- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Should I just put it behind me

Let me summarize first before going into the exact reason for this post. My daughter and I ride bikes together here and there. One day I walk in the house from work, go to my fiance and say "You want to go ride bikes". Well because of that day we went on a bike spree. Within a month we bought 2 Hybrids and 2 Mountain bikes. I wanted a new one because I had the Specialized Hardrock for over a decade and was just tired of it.

When I got into shopping/research mode for the mountain bike my first interest was the Trek Fuel Ex5 THEN...I discover the Specialized Crave SL29. I thought the bike was gorgeous, I love the simplicity of it, and just flat out sexy. However, I went to every bike shop within a reasonable distance and all said the same thing that at this time they are not available and possibly seeing the 2017's maybe in September. So I was bummed but I was happy to go with the Trek bike previously mentioned.

However, every now and then I keep thinking about the Crave. Knowing I own a Specialized Hybrid Crosstrail and a Trek Fuel Ex5 should I just tell myself forget about that single speed bike or should I budget for it? Not that I can't afford it now (assuming I eventually can get one) but maybe it's pointless considering what I already own.

Yes I know I have issues but need an outside opinion on this one.

mtbr member
    The other thought that literally just hit me after posting this, what if I just convert my Hardrock to a single speed? Hmmmm....

mtbr member
    The conversion and the new bike both sound like great ideas to me. If you aren't sure you will like single speed riding, maybe try the hardrock first? But you said you were tired of it - any particular reason? If the fit or geometry are not right for you then it will not really give single speeding a fair shot I don't think.

Maybe convert the hardrock as a project while you wait out the crave
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    The conversion and the new bike both sound like great ideas to me. If you aren't sure you will like single speed riding, maybe try the hardrock first? But you said you were tired of it - any particular reason? If the fit or geometry are not right for you then it will not really give single speeding a fair shot I don't think.

Maybe convert the hardrock as a project while you wait out the crave
    Well the Crave is a big time purchase.

Honestly to me the reason for the replacing of the Hardrock wasn't a comfort issue, just more like someone having a car for over 10 years and just wanting a new one even though their existing car looks and runs great.

I would love to own the Crave but that is an expensive buy especially compared to a Hardrock. Also, my speakers on my TV are going to shit but the picture is great and thinking of going with a Bose system that equates to the cost of the Crave. Since I already have 2 bikes the Bose wins in this case. :-)

How hard would it be for someone with no experience in modding/working on bicycles to do that conversion? I also would like to convert the fork to make it lighter. But then, is the frame too heavy and that wouldn't help much at all?

I have many questions for this. So please bear with me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Depends on what you want to use the Hardrock for? For trails if you are already tired of it, I doubt converting it to singlespeed will bring the joy back. But for path riding or gravel it may be fun. I enjoy riding my old Tequesta that I converted to single speed on paved paths. It is the perfect bike for family rides on pavement.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    I don't have a set plan for a single speed in general. Just something I want to mess with and see what happens. Maybe I should drop the whole idea entirely. Not really sure. I just find Singlespeed very sex bikes because of it's simplicity if that makes any sense.

Downcountry AF
    i say convert the hardrock to SS and put a rigid fork on it. what's old is new again.

if you've never ridden SS it will be a fun project, a fun ride, and likely an eye opening experience that will allow you to figure out if you love SS or not.

the enjoyment of SS is unique in that you don't need the latest greatest tech or expensive carbon everything to have fun. for maybe $50-100 you could convert it just to try it.

lots of info here

MTBR.com Single Speed Forum - Single Speed FAQ
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Go for it. Don't let it drop. I mean the ss thing. Maybe not get the Craze but absolutely try single speeding. It's a blast. And you're right...the simplicity is just awesome. People ask me why I like my SS so much. I tell them exactly that...it's just so much fun to get on the bike and pedal. Don't have to worry about anything else. No shifting, worrying about being in the right gear. Missing a shift. It's like being a kid again. Just pedal and have fun. And at the end of the day, maintenance is easier too. Don't have to mess with adjusting derailleurs, less the clean. Less to break.

I checked out the Craze. It is a good looking bike. Maybe also check out the Trek Superfly SS. Also a great looking bike and about the same price. And since you already have a Trek, the dealer might work with you some on price even.

Or, convert your old bike like others said and get hooked, then you could also do a really nice build using any number of great frames out there. For about the same price I built my Kona Big Unit and honestly, probably could have done it a little cheaper if I was more careful with my shopping. I think I got finished just a tad less than the Crave but IMO I have better parts overall.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Cycologist
    Welcome to cycling, where you always want

one more bike !

(we all have issues).

And I would advise you to buy it before you get married.

chaz
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    Yeah definitely convert the hardrock first. Get some tools, research it, give it a shot.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ditch the hardrock and the hybrid...once you get a nice light SS you probably won't touch either, sell them and get the crave.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Convert first. If you find you like SS and upgrade, you're only out $40.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    I'm with the "convert first" crowd. You should be able to do it for very little cash and you'll have a nice bike to experiment with. Then when you do buy a dedicated single speed you'll have a better idea of what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Look for a used Crave. I picked up a 2015. Its an awesome bike. I used to ride a On One Inbred SS with a Fox Float fork. Even with the rigid fork, the Crave is a better, faster bike to ride. So converting a bike you don't like to SS, you might end up with a bike you still don't like, just with one gear.

mtbr member
    N+1
    It's a way of life.......

mtbr member
    Well over the weekend I dusted off the old camera and took pictures of the bike and other things. Turns out the only thing I got hits on were my bike and sold it on Sunday.

So if I ever do SS it's going to be buying a bike.

I will check Craigslist here and there for a Crave. You never know.

Members who have read this thread: 0