should i go ss and HOW?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

should i go ss and HOW?

so the answer to the "should" part of my question is already a resounding YES in my mind. i built up a beater fixed gear bike and i am absolutely addicted to the thing. i've ridden my mtb recently, and it just makes me think - what the *&^# do i need all those friggin gears for?

so the second part of my question is a bit more complicated...as i alluded to, i currently own a multispeed mtb. however, i realized not too long ago that i'm pretty sure it's never really fit me right (despite the fact that i've been riding it for about 7 years now...sigh) - i think the top tube is a little too long, and i would need a crazy short stem to make it more comfy for me (it's already got a pretty short one, like 95mm or so).

so i'm thinking i'll pick up a new frame - and this opens up an entire can of worms, particularly since i'm a student and have a "limited cash flow". i'm thinking maybe i'll just sell the old bike and build up a ss from scratch. if i can get maybe 700 for the old one, i figure i'd be able to build a pretty sweet ss, with a decent fork up front and all the tricked out ss parts (truvativ crank, probably surly hubs, etc., etc...) i found what seems to be a decent no name ss specific (w/ track ends - so no tensioner needed...) frame on ebay, so that would be a good start...

but where do i go from there? and is that the good place to start? i find myself gazing longingly at my old and oversized, but trusty, loyal, and full-of-memories multispeed mtb wondering if i can/should really part with it. maybe i should just use as many parts from it as i can (wheels, fork, stem, maybe crankset) and convert what's left into..i don't even know what...

the labor on the new bike wouldn't be an issue - i loved working on my fixie project bike, and i would even go so far as to build my own wheelset, which i did on the fixie. honestly, if i could, i would keep the old bike as is and just build up the ss from scratch, but for the lack of ability to rationalize the cash output it would require...

any thoughts/comments/criticism? thanks in advance and happy riding! -steve0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out what I'm doing this summer:

bikeandbuild.org
    My profile

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trek

Check E-Bay.
    Trek 930 or 970 or 990

I bought a Trek 930 (Steel Frame) for $100.00 for the complete bike.
    Just add tensioner and go.

I have an ENO hub on mine that cost 200.00 with built up rim.
    Running 34-20. I fried the bottom bracket but replaced it with an xt for $20.00.

I also kept the indy fork up front and have a RS Suspension post.
    I'm old (40) and slow but like the treks into the wilderness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I were in your situation I would get some hub spacers, a tensioner, and a bashguard and convert the old girl. That way you can keep the memorable old bike and, and if you really like singlespeeding you might just be able to rationalize that cash outlay for a new frame that fits.

FeelsGood
    --- FeelsGood

mtbr member
    that's exactly what i decided to do, thanx. just ordered the tensioner and spacers earlier today. is a bashguard really necessary, tho? i just got some shorter chainring bolts instead...

s

Quote Originally Posted by FeelsGood
    If I were in your situation I would get some hub spacers, a tensioner, and a bashguard and convert the old girl. That way you can keep the memorable old bike and, and if you really like singlespeeding you might just be able to rationalize that cash outlay for a new frame that fits.

FeelsGood
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out what I'm doing this summer:

bikeandbuild.org
    My profile

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You don't need a bash guard, but last time I checked those short bolts were just slightly more expensive than a cheap bash guard (silly expensive for bolts, if you ask me). It all comes down to personal prefrence.
    --- FeelsGood

ballbuster

Heck, I paid $6...

... for a set of Sugino short steel bolts. How much is a bash guard?

Members who have read this thread: 0