Should I get SS specific rings...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Should I get SS specific rings...

I'm thinking it's about time to replace my rear cog and chainring. I'm currently running a converted LX crank, and a LX cog. I was first considering just replacing both with LX, but it there a reason I should not get ramped rings.

mtbr member
    I have used a ramped chainring (Caramba?) for over a year and can see no difference between the wear on that ring and the wear on a Spot, SS specific ring. Of course, the ring was free and that was the basis of its appeal. I now have an 8 speed no name 7075 ring I got from the bike swap meet for $5 and it works just as well, but isn't as round as I would like it to be...

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I'm thinking it's about time to replace my rear cog and chainring. I'm currently running a converted LX crank, and a LX cog. I was first considering just replacing both with LX, but it there a reason I should not get ramped rings.
    Well, if it's working for you, then that's good. I noticed a lot of chain dropping with a ramped cog, but had no problems with a ramped chainring. The cog was very sensitive to chain tension - too loose, and it could more laterally enough to engage a ramp and drop off.

The solution for me was Shimano BMX cogs. As long as they make your size, these are probably cheaper than a ramped cog, and have longer teeth and no ramps. They look thicker than a hyperglide cog, as well. $5 online if you look around a little.

For the ring, there's a good chance a nonramped ring will be less than a replacement LX. Try Salsa or QBP's brand. While you're at it, pick up a couple of SRAM PC-1 chains, and your drivetrain will be good to go.

mtbr member
    Okay, now supposing I decided to stick to the ramped rings and/or cogs, can I still run a SS chain with 8/9 speed compatiable rings?

Sorry for the maybe obvious questions. Up to know, my drivechain has been issue free.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    You don't necessarily need a SS specific chainring. Old school chainrings that are thicker and don't have all the fancy tooth profiling and such would work fine. It really depends on the cranks you have though. I really wouldn't use a newer LX chainring. They are stamped aluminum and aren't that strong even on geared bikes. Nevermind the fact that it was designed to have the chain slide off smoothly in both directions. Your options are more limited with a 4 arm crank. Here you are pretty much stuck with getting a SS specific ring but I think you can find a Salsa pretty cheap. Other options include Black Spire, TruVativ, Spot, Jerhico, etc. If your LX is 5 arm, you can probably find a nice old school 8 speed chainring out of the bargin bin for $10-$15.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm using 5 arm 8spd LX cranks with a Spot SS chainring. But I had no problem with the ramped ring it came with. Got a good deal on a new Spot ring on ebay and went with it. Using the $5 Shimano BMX cog with a Sram PC58 8spd chain. Works great for not a lot of money.