Should I get a SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Should I get a SS?

I am considering getting an SS for the challenge and simplicity. But it is hard for me to justify getting a bike that is geared only for the dirt. I would like to use it on some of the local bike paths as well.
    I have read on MTBR about riders changing there gearing as needed. (Using a two cog freewheel and changing the chainring)
    Is it worth it for me to get an SS. Or should I just stick my gears? Or is there some other solution?

bi-winning
    Internally geared hubs are an interesting alternative.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Sweep the leg!
    No.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

V-Shaped Rut
    Sounds like you are caught between purposes.

At least for me a proper mountain bike is gonna have grippy, knobby wheels which will suck on the road and wear quickly. It will also (if an SS) be geared much too low for any decent road speed.

Now what *I* would do is either:

Have two bikes.

Or an extra wheelset with smooth tires and a much smaller cog for the road. Extra chain rounds out your road equipment. The switch would only take minutes with the right frame (paragon style sliders or variant like on my unit) and you could do right before the ride.

Actually option 2 sounds tempting, I might try to pick up a cheapy wheelset and do just that.

mtbr member
    Check out the Specialized Langster

mtbr member
    Why not have a bike with not-so-agressive tyres (like Kendas Small Block 8s or something like that), and a dinglespeed transmission, with lets say, 18 and 16 cogs and 32 and 36 rings?

Spooooon!
    I use a dingle dingle setup with 32 & 30 tooth rings in the front and 17 & 19 tooth rings in the rear. If you keep the difference in number of teeth the same, you don't even have to adjust your wheel since the chain is the same length for both. I run a Nano in the rear and a Weirwolf in the front, it works perfectly for town and dirt duty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    Dinglespeed set up and internal gears sound interesting. I like the idea of internal gears, but I wanted a less complicated bike. I already have a full suspension Bionicon, which is just overkill for many of my local trails in LA/OC.

I don't have the time or urge to piece a bike together. What suggestions do you guys have for SS with build kits? Knowing that I might want a dinglespeed set up. Cranks?

Spooooon!
    I'd look at the Surly Karate Monkey (available complete, you have to add a ring upfront and go with a WI Dos Eno Freewheel in the rear). Also, the Salsa El Mariachi is available as a 1x9 which can easily be converted to a single. I know there are other options too, but can't quite think of them.

Spooooon!
    Just though about cranks. If you want to run a 32/30 on the crank, note that you will need a 5-arm spider. The Surly and Middleburn cranks can do this.

Members who have read this thread: 0