mtbr member
    Jan 2008

should i get this bike?

i have never had anything more than a walmart bike and i have decided to get a better bike. is a gary fisher tarpon a decent bike to get started in trail riding? it is converted to a ss, it has a manitou six fork, bontrager race back wheel, mavic 223 front wheel, weighs about 22 pounds. i like the singlespeed thing since i have a habit of destroying derailers. i was plannning on putting a sprocket with a lower amount of teeth on one side for road riding and one with more teeth on the other side for trails. also, i was going to see if i can get a quick realease rear axel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Price? How is the chain tensioned? Is it a magic gear or does it have a tensioner? What are you talking about with having two gear ratios on one side and then the other? Is the hub flip flop? The bike looks to have vertical drops so what you are considering would not work unless it was a dingle setup with two chainrings as well.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Check that baby out.Just kidding.

Welcome to the Gem...
    i'd ride it...
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Price? How is the chain tensioned? Is it a magic gear or does it have a tensioner? What are you talking about with having two gear ratios on one side and then the other? Is the hub flip flop? The bike looks to have vertical drops so what you are considering would not work unless it was a dingle setup with two chainrings as well.
    i am basically paying 400$ on a trade i am giving him my quad and he is giving me 1000$ cash and the gary fisher. it seemed like a good deal but after some research, the parts he put on it are not much better than stock. should i find someone who will give me 1400$, put 1000 in the bank and spend 400 on a new bike or do the deal with this guy? i am moving just outside of lawton oklahoma and i guess there are quite a few trails out there so as i get better this bike will see quite a bit of hard offroad use.

Welcome to the Gem...
    $400 on a new bike isn't going to get you much... even used.

do you know what the MSRP of that bike is? 1k+
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    $400 on a new bike isn't going to get you much... even used.

do you know what the MSRP of that bike is? 1k+
    i read it was going to cost 330 bucks brand new 08 on the gary fisher website. after reading more on this bike i realize it is a horrible deal. well i would still like to update from my current mongoose walmart bike. could anyone reccomend a decent trail bike for 400$?

Welcome to the Gem...
    whoa... i thought you said paragon. sorry. damn my speed reading abilities.

stay away from that deal... seriously. especially used.
    Ibis Tranny 29

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    Quote Originally Posted by xc_251
    i read it was going to cost 330 bucks brand new 08 on the gary fisher website. after reading more on this bike i realize it is a horrible deal. well i would still like to update from my current mongoose walmart bike. could anyone reccomend a decent trail bike for 400$?
    Monocogs....

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by xc_251
    There are a few stock singlespeeds that sell new for $500-$700 (Please correct me if I'm wrong) Bianchi, Redline, Jamis and Kona come to mind. You may be able to find some used deals on these to bring the price down, but I think it'd be worth your while to spend a bit more cash up front. This will also give you a chance to ride the bikes before you buy one, if you have a shop within a reasonable distance. Search this forum for more information, and check out the websites.

Good luck.

Disclosure compliance: I work in a bike shop that carries none of the above brands.
    Last edited by StageHand; 01-16-2008 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i was going to buy a bike that has a deraler and multi speeds and a gear selecter they switch it to single speed because it is cheaper, i have a price range of 250-400$. should i go for disc brakes or is the other type fine for a beginner? i want a hardtail, i dont need rear suspension. i have looked at the gary fisher advance and it seems to be a pretty good bike, it looks like an upgraded tarpon to me though. i saw the kaitai which has disc brakes and seems like a really nice bike, but 700$ is a little to much. i havnt researched any other brands though so i just need guidance.

HTFU and Ride
    You can get a Redline Monocog 29er for like 425-460 and they are pretty rock solid from what I have seen. If I were buying new that is where I would go.

My singlespeed is a conversion from an old frame I had sitting around. Think I spent about 250 bucks to switch it over. Most of that was on a nice crankset and cheapo Rock Shox Dart 2 fork.

Eitherway I think you would be better off and much happier to spend a bit more and get a SS specific bike rather than buy a budget gearie and convert it. You will spend just as much in the end if you don't do the work yourself.
    Winter is coming.

Members who have read this thread: 0