Should a clyde even try single speeding?- Mtbr.com
    Sock Monkey

Should a clyde even try single speeding?

I am a clyde...and I am interested in building a single speed bike...am I just opening myself up for frustration here, and is this something I should put off until I take the weight off, or is it a worthwhile thing to try? I ride in so cal where there are hills that I have trouble with even with fully geared bikes...

mtbr member
    Why not?
    Just gear it as low as you need.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Hells yeah!

With SS you can build a dishless rear wheel that will be stronger, lots of singlespeed frames are rather stout, and just because it's a singlespeed doesn't mean you don't have a choice to how you gear it.

But then again I'm 65#s from being a clyde so what the h. e. double hockey sticks do I know?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I say go for it. I have known many a large rider to rock the one cog!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I am a clyde.... And I ride single speed, and I love it.

In fact I was a solid 220 -230 when I started my one gear adventures. I found I liked SS so much I rode more, lots more. Thanks to that I'm now hovering around the 205 mark.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

beautiful jackass
    I'm 6'5", 200 pounds, and I ride single speed and love it.

Riding single speed isn't going to make those hills any easier, but it will make you stronger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Before SS, I can't ride up some hills in my area too. Since I started riding SS, I still can't ride up those same hills... But I'm making progress. And those hills that I can ride up now, I ride it up much faster than my geared bike.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

SS has no boundaries...

...I'm 260/270 been riding SS since 2005 and don't ride any geared bikes very often!

Take it slow learn all you can, ride places that are SS friendly, even starting off on dirt/paved roads that are fairly flat. The idea is to have fun, fun, fun!

No rules here just make it enjoyable and throw up some pics to share!

I say do it, welcome to SS

AZ
    banned
    SS is an equal opportunity bringer of pain. Gear it to suit your needs and ride it.

mtbr member
    One more clyde here. 230lbs. My main ride is SS. Road or mtn. You won't beat the skinny guys at the races, but you can still have a lot of fun
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    hell yeah!
    i know of plenty of people in my area that are clydes riding ss, I am almost there (195)

just make sure you get a good chain and cog, there is alot of power going into the drivetrain for a clyde and thats my $.02

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I am a clyde (6'3" - 260#). I started riding singlespeed in 2002. I still had a geared bike at that point, but I have gone exclusively singlespeed (road and mountain) and am loving it. Go for it dude. You won't look back.

jct
    mtbr member
    clyde checkin in. 220 RTR. started SSn this summer and hopefully selling my FS 29er today!

for me, it's more fun and a better work out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The monocog flight and El Mariachi are both Clyde-friendly frames that can be run geared or SS.

bicycle rider
    Yes.

Morgan

NedwannaB
    Right. Wait....whaaaat? Oh yeah, the Retrotec.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

My epitaph
    Sold my last XL geared bike 1 yr. ago. Start out with a low gear and learn to spin. When you finally clean those climbs in that gear (and you will) then move up to a harder gear.

mtbr member
    I'm a "Super-Clyde" at 330 lbs. and I'm riding a Kona Unit! Nothing to crazy about riding SS; just gear your bike as close as you can get to the ratio you ride your geared bike in the most. You'll spin thru a lot of stuff and suffer/walk thru other areas but it's a killer workout and fun to boot!

And as an added ego-boosting bonus, I'll feel better about pushing this bike up the same hills I pushed my geared bike up, since it's expected now!

local trails rider
    Just look after that simple drivetrain. A big guy can put a lot of stress on pedals, BB, hubs, ...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member

I started riding ss

4 years ago and am in love with it. I am 6ft 2in and 250# in the winter, about 10# lighter in the summer. SS riding makes you so much stronger and smoother. You will be much faster on your geared bike too. You learn to use momentum much better. I started using 32x20 gearing but now run 34x20. I am now comteplating 34x19. Over time you will get stronger if you stick with it.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Life is Go0d!
    I'm 240 and 6ft..I think you will find the efficiency refreshing..that is if you are currently on a FS.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" 230# in socal and I ride a kona uni with a 80mm reba. I love it. I started out 32/22 now I ride 32/20. It takes some practice, but you get used to it.

inner peace to make peace

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

heck yeah.

get the right gearing for you and your terrain: a big cog.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

WNC Native

Definitely!!

yet another clyde checking in. I'm 6' and 210lbs, haven't owned a geared bike in over 3 years now.

As stated above, go with a good chain, steel cog, and steel chainring bolts. Also if funds allow, a higher end rear hub.

Also agree Redline MC Flight or Monocog, Kona Unit, OS Blackbuck, newer El Mariachi, or Soul Cycles Dillinger are all cylde worthy SS frames (if your into big wheels )
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    6'1" 255lbs, and ride an SS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sorta Clyde at 202. Ride a trek rig with a 22. Ride in SoCal. Do around 6 hrs a week and typical ride is 2500 climbing. My advice is to run a bmx chain and get some burley wheels built. I have a pair of sun mtx laced up to xt hubs that are holding up well. I am full time on the ss. It's my only Mtb. But I do have a cross bike for some diversion.

mtbr member
    6'3 and 235 when I started SS'ing last year. 215 and a much stronger rider now. Running a 32x20 on a rigid SIR9 with 180 cranks. I find I rarely shift when I switch to my FS 69er now and I keep my momentum and pick my lines a lot better. You'll conquer those hills eventually. Stand and mash!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm technically a clyde, but only because the rest of you are tiny wankers and have to ostracize beautiful, angry 200lbs+ men like myself.

I don't think SS has anything to do with being fat or not. Do a cheap mod on your bike and if you hate it, don't blame it on your size.