Short standover bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Short standover bikes

Looking for a model with a sub 27" standover height. The Giant STP looks like even the small will be too tall for me. Any suggestions? Most riding will be commute/ trails.

mtbr member
    A 27.5 inch tired bike might be easier.

What LENGTH are you looking for? How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm 5'2.5". Not opposed to a 27.5" tire.

mtbr member
    Kona Explosif could work. Soma B-side? Most 650B bikes with a xs frame or even a small frame ought to do it.

A few things to keep in mind.
    1. Bikes are not sized by standover. Standover is a desireable feature but on most bikes, you don't need any more clearance than what you get standing over the frame directly in front of the saddle. Thats ususally an inch or so.

2. Standover is not your pants inseam. You might know this already, but the measurement that is useful in the regard is the distance from the bottom of your bare feet to the bottom of you anatomical crotch. Look up "cycling inseam" of you have not enountered this before.

3. You typically lose some standover as forks get longer, so a 120mm+ trail bike might be very difficult.

I have done a quick fit on dozens of people and most people in the 5'-5'3" range will easily fit a "small" or x-small frame, depending on how the manufacturer determines what those mean. Unless you have abnormally short legs, it should not be a problem. Please be more specific about what you are looking for in a bike.

Have you gone into a shop and thrown a leg over a few bikes already?

mtbr member
    My 2016 Kona Unit has a stand over height of 26". Size small frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Kona Explosif could work.
    Honzo similarly has tons of room, if you are looking for a 29" tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My tiny wife uses a Salsa Juan Solo 26er in size small. Super low stand over and a really nice SS ready frame. Probably would need to tap the used market for that one though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the replies gang. The lbs's around me carry Trek, Giant and Specialized. Unfortunately I'm sorta limited to those but I am not opposed to buying online since a single speed isn't as intimidating to work on as a multi speed. I'll probably go and look at a STP some time this week while I keep fishing online for more info.

mtbr member
    you LBS's can probably get a Soma from BTI or a Surly 1x1 from QBP. these would be custom builds and you could probably build a 1x1 with 650B wheels. however, you won't be able to test ride any of those before buying.

for your size, there's nothing wrong with 26" wheels other than availability.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Vassago has very low standover. Pretty sure they're super easy for any shop to order from and/or set up a vendor account.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Wanna think outside the box? Check out the Carver 96er.

Don't freak out when you first look at it. It was originally designed to run a 29" wheel up front and 26 in the rear. That's not what you want to do. Come to find out it makes a fine bike with 27.5 front and rear, and you might like that option. What they had to do to the frame to get that big wheel to fit up front, also makes it so a decent 27.5 fork will fit in there without jacking the frame up. You might like it.

Comes with an eccentric bottom bracket, which is a device that allows you to adjust the pedals up or down, forward or back. It can be used to fine-tune your fit, or to tension a single-speed cog. Very nifty. Don't underestimate the value of getting your feet where you want them.

Bicycle manufacturers can source parts cheaper than you can; if you can find a bike on the showroom floor that'll be your best value. But, as you've seen, it ain't easy finding store-bought single-speeds. Might have to build.

Fortunately, the frame's not expensive (~$400). Just gotta shop smart for your parts. Pricepoint has some decent forks on sale and Jenson usually has good deals on drive train components. Should be able to get one built for <$2k and have an unusually nice bike, albeit one that's..well, unusual.

To be clear, a Surly (1x1, or a Troll) is an extremely practical answer and at the end of the day that's probably your best advice, by a wide margin. But, practical has never been my strong point. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I actually exchanged a few emails with Forrest. Carver does interest me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

I think it's pretty. Wait no. It's not pretty, it's dark and mysterious and maybe a little dangerous. Powdercoat it matte black and put skull stickers on it. That'll show em.

See how there's a fatter tire in the front than the back. That's generally a good thing, but I wonder what the tire clearance is in the back. 2.2, with room for mud, would be nice.

I like this frame. My current project is, I'm working with a local artist to build up some art bikes. We are focusing on projects for optimally-sized (eg, 5'2") women. I have a couple of platforms in mind, including some vintage steel frames. I have a line on some NOS Trek 69er frames. But, I think this Carver hits the sweet spot, and hits it hard. I think it'll be my next development project. With my daughter as test pilot. She'll get combat pay for sure.

ETA: re tire clearance, looking at the drawings it looks like 2.0 - 2.1 would work best, see https://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/smaller...to-568678.html
    Last edited by TampaDave; 01-14-2016 at 07:00 AM.