Shimano warranty experiences?- Mtbr.com
    theHeadlessThompsonGunner

Shimano warranty experiences?

I just sent my 03 XT crank in with a bent spider, which obviously prevented me from ever getting proper chain tension. I rode it for six months this way before finally getting around to returning it. After a bit of investigating on their website, it looked like Shimano had a great warranty service: 2 years on XT parts, 2 - 3 day turnaround, and pretty much no questions asked.

After ten days, I decided I ought to call and see what's up...lo and behold, Shimano has the crank arms backordered and it's going to be 4 - 5 WEEKS before I get it back. Jason informed me kindly that, no, they had no intentions of calling me to let me know the e t a on the part, and that 'they usually don't call on backordered items'. Has anyone else dealt with Shimano's warranty dept?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

blame me for missed rides
    no exp w/ their warranty but apparently shimano is having a heck of a time (i.e. delay) with their new line of components.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    I just sent my 03 XT crank in with a bent spider, which obviously prevented me from ever getting proper chain tension. I rode it for six months this way before finally getting around to returning it. After a bit of investigating on their website, it looked like Shimano had a great warranty service: 2 years on XT parts, 2 - 3 day turnaround, and pretty much no questions asked.

After ten days, I decided I ought to call and see what's up...lo and behold, Shimano has the crank arms backordered and it's going to be 4 - 5 WEEKS before I get it back. Jason informed me kindly that, no, they had no intentions of calling me to let me know the e t a on the part, and that 'they usually don't call on backordered items'. Has anyone else dealt with Shimano's warranty dept?
    I warrantied an XTR rear derailleur once... had the exact same experience as you. The part did eventually arrive about a month after I sent the broken one in. Although they did send me a brand new one as the replacement.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yes - Shimano is overloaded right now and it's affecting just about every manufacturer and distributor. They're working 7 days a week with 3 shifts after having a 300% increase in pre-season orders, who say's the bike industry is dead?
    About 6 months ago I sent in an XTR Caliper with the "Sticky Piston", they said box up your old one and send it back. About a week later I had a complete new brake setup - Rotor, Caliper and 2 sets of pads... That was then though, this is now and I think you're in for a bit of a wait, bummer.

Jed Peters
    Unbelievable customer service. They will fix/replace anything it seems like. May take a while, but they are always on the ball.

Yeh, they told me I was going to get a whole new arm, which is nice, and everyone I've spoken to has been congenial and knowledgable. It's nice too that I can do this as a consumer, and not have to go to the shop and add even more time.

But dammit, this means I'm riding some noodly Deore cranks for at least a month longer!

-The Good Doctor

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle

by the way, what's shimano CS email addie? thanks.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    by the way, what's shimano CS email addie? thanks.
    Don't know their email addy. Telco and address is on the warranty form: http://bike.shimano.com/services/WUC_Claim_Form.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was thinking about getting the XT cranks for the new single speed. Are you satisfied with them, or would you have rather gone another route? Just courious.

n

They're awesome, and stinking stiff--so stiff, in fact, that the Deores I'm riding until I get them back feel like wrought iron. Just make sure your spider is straight out of the box, or you'll be constantly fighting with them.

Weather, just call them. I don't know they're email address, but they were very helpful by phone--even though they brought news I didn't want to hear.

-The Good Doctor