Shimano Single Speed Cassette Hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano Single Speed Cassette Hub

Anyone think Shimano will ever make a single-speed specific XT/XTR level rear cassette hub? I understand that normal (8/9spd) cassette hubs work fine and that there are quite a lot of SS cassette hubs out there already, but I like Shimano's stuff, and the XT-level hubs are very much my price range. I'm not looking for a debate on quality or peoples opinions on Shimano or other products, just info or insight on the possibility of it ever happening.

mtbr member
    From my observations Shimano doesn't seem to get into "specialty" or "niche" stuff too often, or they at least wait until its really obvious to them that it isn't so "niche". If the marketing boom for SS bikes in the last couple years didn't get them to make one, I am guessing it will take a bunch more years of steady growth in the SS segment before Shimano produces a hub like that.

But I would love to be proven wrong by Shimano

mtbr member
    Actually Shimano make a very nice SS cassette rear hub (DXR), but it's for BMX and a 44mm chainline.

Make a nice hub for something like a Pompino monstercross (with the 120mm OLD dropout)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    Actually Shimano make a very nice SS cassette rear hub (DXR), but it's for BMX and a 44mm chainline.

Make a nice hub for something like a Pompino monstercross (with the 120mm OLD dropout)
    IIRC, there was a thread a while back about someone swapping the DXR freehub body into an XTR wheel. Presto! An all-Shimano SS wheel. You don't get the wide flange spacing of a SS-specific hub, but it was a direct replacement and I think the chainline even ended up in the right place. I think the retail on DXR freehub body was cost-prohibitive compared to even high-end SS cassette hubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike

Interesting, I had to look at that up to see for myself. Looks very nice and super stound. Only ones I could find said 112mm OLD

BMX is a very proven and very huge market though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    ...Only ones I could find said 112mm OLD...
    Easy enough to squeeze a 120 steel frame down to that - I'm using a BMX cassette hub on a track frame bike I keep in Oz.

There are SS hubs that use similar free hub bodies. Avanti use one on their KISS 29er single speed. (Probably the same bike as the Raleigh XXIX in USA)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    now that the new XT freehub has more engagement points, it really would be nice if a SS version became available but i'm not holding my breath.

for budget bike builds i recommend the Dimension single speed freehub hub. $85 at speedgoat, smooth and reliable. Not light, but not heavier than an XT 9 speed; can be run w/ the supplied endbolts or w/ a QR skewer. according to speedgoat, replacement parts are available. I've hammered mine for 2 years on my urban trails/grab a latte bike and it works like new still.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    now that the new XT freehub has more engagement points, it really would be nice if a SS version became available but i'm not holding my breath.

for budget bike builds i recommend the Dimension single speed freehub hub. $85 at speedgoat, smooth and reliable. Not light, but not heavier than an XT 9 speed; can be run w/ the supplied endbolts or w/ a QR skewer. according to speedgoat, replacement parts are available. I've hammered mine for 2 years on my urban trails/grab a latte bike and it works like new still.
    They sound good, but besides flange spacing, how are they much different from the XT?

I guess the XT doesn't come already set up as a bolt-on but a) they are easily and cheaply converted to a solid axle b) the QR skewers are strong enough to run in horizontal dropouts with slipping anyway. I will admit I am just going off of a name, but I would expect more from the XT hub than the Dimension

Schipperkes are cool.
    There are 2 XTR being used by a top level Shimano Skunkworks rider
    Last edited by banks; 05-28-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    They sound good, but besides flange spacing, how are they much different from the XT?

I guess the XT doesn't come already set up as a bolt-on but a) they are easily and cheaply converted to a solid axle b) the QR skewers are strong enough to run in horizontal dropouts with slipping anyway. I will admit I am just going off of a name, but I would expect more from the XT hub than the Dimension
    different than XT? yes. sealed cartridge bearings of good quality. but it really comes down to whether you want wide flanged SS-specific hub or not.

did a quick search --- looks like you can't get the freehub version easily any more, just the bmx freewheel version. oh well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    There are 2 XTR being used by a top level Shimano Skunkworks rider
    any more info?

Members who have read this thread: 1