Shimano DX Cassette Hub dimensions?- Mtbr.com
    Candlestick Maker

Shimano DX Cassette Hub dimensions?

Dupe post, since I know some people here have built wheels with the
    DX BMX hubs....anyone know the necessary dimensions for wheel building?
    Front and rear.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=21718

baker

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    also posted in the wheels/tires forum

Front
    Flange diameter: 38mm (center of spoke holes)
    Center to flange: 35.8mm (center of hub to center of flange)

Rear
    Flange diameter: 54mm
    Center to flange (both right and left - symmetrical flanges): 30mm

If you give me the rim ERD, I can calculate spoke lengths based on the cross you want. Or go here http://www.bikeschool.com/cgi/spokeprogram.cgi

Candlestick Maker

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks!

baker

Less yappin, more Brappin

for mtb or bmx?

if i remember correct, the dx bmx rear hub is a 110mm spacing. i knew a dude a long time ago that respaced the axle to 135 for mtb, but kept the distance from the drive side dropout to the cog centerline the same (for proper chainline) basically there were a whole lot of spacers on the non-drive side.

he ended up building a reverse dish wheel, with higher tension on the non-drive side. it was one of the most retarted things i had ever seen. i dont remember how long it lasted, but he got laughed out of the bike shop he worked in, and he was the manager.

geoffss

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss
    if i remember correct, the dx bmx rear hub is a 110mm spacing. i knew a dude a long time ago that respaced the axle to 135 for mtb, but kept the distance from the drive side dropout to the cog centerline the same (for proper chainline) basically there were a whole lot of spacers on the non-drive side.

he ended up building a reverse dish wheel, with higher tension on the non-drive side. it was one of the most retarted things i had ever seen. i dont remember how long it lasted, but he got laughed out of the bike shop he worked in, and he was the manager.

geoffss
    As retarded as "retarted?"

mtb. I'm hoping to respace for a dishless wheel. I can screw around with bb spindle
    length and chainring placement to work the chainline. If that doesn't work out, I'll convert
    an old xt hub with the bmx freehub to create a wheel with less dish. Since I got the
    hubset for cheap, the whole thing is basically just an experiment.

baker
    Last edited by baker; 05-07-2004 at 09:23 AM.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baker

mtb. I'm hoping to respace for a dishless wheel. I can screw around with bb spindle
    length and chainring placement to work the chainline. If that doesn't work out, I'll convert
    an old xt hub with the bmx freehub to create a wheel with less dish. Since I got the

baker
    The spacing, according to Shimano, is actually 112. If you want to respace for dishless on a 135mm rear spaced frame, you'll have to add 11.5mm of spacers to both sides of the hub. Playing with chainline at the bottom bracket should be okay.

But...the big question might be "is the whole thing worth it?" I know several BMXers who blew up DX freehubs racing. Granted they are big powerful guys, but they blew the pawls out on gate starts. In fact, I don't think Shimano's resident BMX "pro" races on the DX hub.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

baker
    The spacing, according to s h i m a n o, is actually 112. If you want to respace for dishless on a 135mm rear spaced frame, you'll have to add 11.5mm of spacers to both sides of the hub. Playing with chainline at the bottom bracket should be okay.

But...the big question might be "is the whole thing worth it?" I know several BMXers who blew up DX freehubs racing. Granted they are big powerful guys, but they blew the pawls out on gate starts. In fact, I don't think s h i m a n o's resident BMX "pro" races on the DX hub.

BTW - that automatic link to Jenson when s h i m a n o is typed is Bull Sh..
    Last edited by ssmike; 05-07-2004 at 10:27 AM. Reason: automatic link to Jenson when "s_h_i_m_a_n_o" is typed

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    The spacing, according to s h i m a n o, is actually 112. If you want to respace for dishless on a 135mm rear spaced frame, you'll have to add 11.5mm of spacers to both sides of the hub. Playing with chainline at the bottom bracket should be okay.
    Cool, thanks for the spacer info. Now I can start tearing apart old wheels looking for
    the right spacers (I don't actually have the hubs yet).

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    But...the big question might be "is the whole thing worth it?" I know several BMXers who blew up DX freehubs racing. Granted they are big powerful guys, but they blew the pawls out on gate starts. In fact, I don't think s h i m a n o's resident BMX "pro" races on the DX hub.
    I don't have any clue if it is really worth it. I've never destroyed a pawl, axle, etc so it is
    all just a fun educational venture for me.

baker
    Last edited by baker; 05-07-2004 at 12:07 PM.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Cool, thanks for the spacer info. Now I can start tearing apart old wheels looking for
    the right spacers (I don't actually have the hubs yet).

I don't have any clue if it is really worth it. I've never destroyed a pawl, axle, etc so it is
    all just an fun educational venture for me.

baker

Forgot, to mention that you'll need a longer axle too! S h i m a n o sells solid or QR types that will work. If you are a smooth rider, you'll probably have no problems.