Shimano Deore Conversion- Mtbr.com
    bigger is better ...
    Nov 2009

Shimano Deore Conversion

Hi everyone.

I have a Giant XTC 29er and I am considering a change at the front to a single chainring crankset. Right now it runs a 22-32-44 triple set, but I find myself using the 44T prolly 90% of the time.

I am tempted to just run on that but I worry about using the lower gears at the rear with this cog due to the non-chain alignment. It would be better if it sat more central. And maybe if I do go single on the front, then 44T might be too tall.

So perhaps 40T could be a good compromise.

So question is then I am looking for a recommendation on a 40T chainring that would bolt straight up, and have it be a proper singlespeed chainring, ie no ramps / pins etc.

I have done some searching for this myself, and found a FSA unit on wiggle.co.uk, but am not confident it will 100% fit.

Thanks in advance guys.
    2015 IP-057 Rigid 1x10
    2010 XTC 29-1

bigger is better ...
    Nov 2009
    Can anyone help here with some advice? Will a DH or SS 40T chainring with a 104BCD bolt straight up? Do I need to add spacers because I am removing the outer chainring? Is there a brand of chainring anyone could recommend? Also from what I can tell, if I use a proper SS chainring I don't think I need a chain guide?

Thx
    Last edited by Jethrow; 04-21-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    2015 IP-057 Rigid 1x10
    2010 XTC 29-1

PSYCHOLUST
    If 44 is too tall is completely depenant on where you ride and how strong you are. 44T on trails would seem quite tall
    As for your chainline, if you want to use the same crankset and run the 44 (or a 40) as a single ring, simply remount that ring on the other side of the crank spider, in the middle ring position.... you will need shorter chainring bolts of grind down the female side of the ones you have now

Members who have read this thread: 0