she's ready to roll.. (long story but I must confess)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

she's ready to roll.. (long story but I must confess)

Longtime mtn biker (good god going on 20 years) and longtime hard tail rider until... I bent my hardtail frame last year. So, last Feb I decided to go another direction, full sus'er. I found a screamin' deal on a 2005 Giant Reign 3 and thought I would be in heavin'. This is not a bang on full suspension bike and the Giant Reign is a nice ride. I thought it would make me the perfect trail bike. Sure it is a little heavy but hell so am I. I got out on it as much as possible and here is what it taught me...

1. It was fun as all get out going down hill but (especially here in my new adopted home of Co.) I spend 75% of my time going up and only 25% going down...
    2. After about a 2 hour ride with a lot of climbing my back was killing me.. I was missing that old xc geometry.
    3. The full susser turned my riding style into something akin to a tank. Screw which line that 6 inches of travel soaked up everything

SO, I sold it. Which left me with no mtn bike. I am not against having a boat load of bikes and I would have liked to keep it and just supplemented with a new HT and but I have to fill a college fund for my little girl so other priorities stop that. Then two leaks in my roof took all the money I had from selling the bike and left me with squat.

So, I scrambled to figure out what the hell to do and decided to piece together whatever kind of hardtail I can with as little money as possible... Also, during that time I kept reading this board and contemplating an SSer. Here we are a month later 1999 KHS frame, pieces and parts from a 2000 Fisher Big Sur, new $20 seat post and clamp, and a sinlgeator and last night she all came together (almost, I did not have an 18 mmm cone wrench to really set the chain tension.)

To the regular posters here.. You have inspired someone. I took it around the neighborhood last night and things seem to be in workiong order (this is also the first bike I have ever built up.) Hittin' the trails tonight... I have not been this excited since my birthday last year. I went with a 32:20 set up. I would have gone 32:22 if I could have found it.

here she is, not much bling but that is not my goal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Welcome to the light side.

large member
    AWESOME! That looks like a really good ride to get you back out. Give it a few weeks of pushing to build up riding into a more SS style. You'll notice fast and fun improvement and a whole other side of MTB that really is a total blast!
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed toolbag 30-34 age group

mtbr member

It's all I got so...

Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    AWESOME! That looks like a really good ride to get you back out. Give it a few weeks of pushing to build up riding into a more SS style. You'll notice fast and fun improvement and a whole other side of MTB that really is a total blast!
    I am going to giver her more than a few weeks... I do plan on building a geared HT sometime but the question is in the long run, will I get a sexy new ss frame to replace this and build this hunk up as my geared bike. Time will tell.

I apreciate the encouragement

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by minor swing
    I am going to giver her more than a few weeks... I do plan on building a geared HT sometime but the question is in the long run, will I get a sexy new ss frame to replace this and build this hunk up as my geared bike. Time will tell.

I apreciate the encouragement
    I had the same question in my mind. I ended up getting a nice steel frame with sliding dropouts so I could run SS or geared. Turned out to be an excellent choice.
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed toolbag 30-34 age group

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

Isn't it amazing how the bikes can pull us back into the basic pleasures of life.

Rubber, metal tubes, spokes, saddle, cogs .... all come together to form a mode of human transport that is efficient and very pleasurable.

Bike riding has so much going for it, keeping us fit and sane in a mad rushing world.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Members who have read this thread: 0