Shenandoah 100- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shenandoah 100

mtbr member

Shenandoah 100

I am getting ready to do my first Shenandoah Mountain 100 race. i will be on my Spot 29er and was wondering. If anyone has done this race on a single speed before, what gear did you run?

Thanks

[email protected] da dumb
    I did it last year running 34x21 on a rigid karate monkey. For me, the gear was about perfect. I was worried about too much spinning on the paved roads but it wasn't an issue because I needed the rest. I was even able to ride a paceline with some gearies for a little while. There is mucho climbing! Long, boring fireroad climbing. Don't get me wrong there's alot of fun stuff too. It's 100 miles. There's an abudant amount of every type of terrain throughout the course. But it's the long uphills that I seem to remember most of. Good luck and have fun. This is an excellent race and the organizer knows how to stage a great event.

www.badgercycles.com

I'll be there

I havent done it but I was planning a 32x20 on a 29er. Sounds like its going to be a fun time. I bet I drink more oz's of beer than miles I actually ride.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by beerman
    I am getting ready to do my first Shenandoah Mountain 100 race. i will be on my Spot 29er and was wondering. If anyone has done this race on a single speed before, what gear did you run?

Thanks
    Who else from the Spot crew is coming out? You're stronger than me, but I'll probably be rocking the 34x21 gearing a la Joyride.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Category Winner
    I'll be running a 34X17 on 26's.

More importantly, what's everybody wearing to the post-race party? I don't want to show up in something someone else is wearing.
    Tacky.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    I'll be running a 34X17 on 26's.

More importantly, what's everybody wearing to the post-race party? I don't want to show up in something someone else is wearing.
    Tacky.
    I think I will be going in my Tribal Loin cloth, but don't worry if you were planning on wearing yours TD because I will be fashionably late to the party anyway.

Save me a beer wouldya.

large member
    I just ran the white oak (I think that is right) trail last week. It was about 25-27 miles and climbed Grindstone, Little Bald, Big Bald and lookout mountain. I ran a 32:18/26 and found myself having to walk some of the long steep climbs. Granted, I'm pretty new to SS and not some super powerful climber anyways, but it was ruff going on many climbs. If you are in enough shape to run an SS on the S100, I think this gearing ratio would be pretty choice.
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed toolbag 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'll be there again. Used 32x18 on a 26 and last year used 32x20 on my spot 29. Not sure what ratio I'm using this year.

Members who have read this thread: 0