She will be assimilated....- Mtbr.com
    Des(s)ert Rat

She will be assimilated....

I've been working my evil ss magic and have cornered my next victim. Seeing as it's so close to Halloween, I thought it was fitting.

It all started out when my friend texted me (yeah, I know, so last year), saying that her shock was leaking oil, but hat she still wanted to get out for a ride. Seeing as I have lots of bikes, I offered her a loaner, but the loaner I offered was my old rigid Surly ss. She took the bait, again, but this time was commited to an entire ride on it.

In the end she decided that she would want a suspension fork, but since she was talking which pedals she would put on a singlespeed, I figure she's hooked.

Some photos from today, sorry the sky is so nasty...

It was a short ride, but a great intro into the dark side.

mtbr member
    My loaner bikes are Single Speeds - they've converted a few. My loaner lights are LEDs and they've converted alot.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    My loaner lights are LEDs...they're converting people... and as to loaner bikes... so far they all have flat bars and that's just wrong isn't it ? I might add a singlespeed loaner to my loaner fleet though.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    My loaner bikes are Single Speeds - they've converted a few. My loaner lights are LEDs and they've converted alot.
    Sorry for the hijack... but which LED lights are you guys diggin?

And back on topic... my rigid Surly loaner has only been loaned once (so far)... did not convert but definitely shocked the rider, could not believe how fun and fast it was. This was someone who rides a Santa Cruz Bullit.

Edit: for clarity and before somone starts something out of this... he was not faster than he is on the Bullit (downhill anyway), he was just not as slow as he expected to be on the rigid SS (I think that's a little clearer).
    Last edited by dumbaSS; 10-29-2006 at 08:29 AM.

That happens... I built this XC hardtail for a guy who'd only been riding BEEFY jumping hardtails and full suspensions (XC to FreeRide) for the past 5 years and he fell in love with being able to ride fast again.

I tend to build up my own LED setups using high powered asian made LED flashlights, simplified mounting adapter setups... end up with things on par with 10-15W halogen lights, for 1/4 the weight, with twice the endurance. Where I am you can buy alkaline batteries in bulk cheap (like 50 AAs for $10) and at 3 or 4 at a time per light... you can get 15 odd 6 hour-rides out of that.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS
    Sorry for the hijack... but which LED lights are you guys diggin?
    I have ~1/2 dozen versions of DIY LEDs using 1W~5W LEDs, been at it for 4 years, all use regulator that will accept any type of battery. We night ride at least once a week, and encourage anyone to try, we'll lend equipement. Half the riders have DIY lights (many have been at it for 10+ years). Recently I bought and tested a 5W DiNotte, which got lent around alot (it's so easy to carry as a spare, and mount to any bike) and now 4 of them have bought it (I'll post a follow-up review on it - but that's another hi-jack!)

BACK ON TOPIC: the usual comment after borrowing a SS is "Hey, that wasn't too hard...". The best comment was "OK, I get it..." - then he proceeded to buy a SS with CK SS hubs, Hope discs, carbon bars, etc... I don't think of it as the 'dark side', it's more like "seeing the light".

PS: I agree - nasty sky! You could get a sun burn!

A comment I heard at a shop that's a surly dealer friday night was "you should look on mtbr's classifieds, there are a lot of good deals for used surlys with fancy parts" which tends to suggest the people who went "OK, I get it..." went "OK, I don't get it anymore..." a short time later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    A comment I heard at a shop that's a surly dealer friday night was "you should look on mtbr's classifieds, there are a lot of good deals for used surlys with fancy parts" which tends to suggest the people who went "OK, I get it..." went "OK, I don't get it anymore..." a short time later.
    That may be true... but couldn't it also suggest they moved on to a higher end singlespeed frame?

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS
    That may be true... but couldn't it also suggest they moved on to a higher end singlespeed frame?
    Hmmm... My Surly could have ended up like that, after I built up my ss Edge Cycle... But it's getting put to good (or is that evil?) use converting a few people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    ...which tends to suggest the people who went "OK, I get it..." went "OK, I don't get it anymore..." a short time later.
    7 converts, none have gone back yet (small stats though). I don't think the "OK, I get it..." will go back, he borrowed my SS for a month when he broke his chainstay, commuted 4 days/week, and 2 rides/week on it while he shopped for his replacement. I understand the urge to upgrade a Surly though, as nice a frame as it is.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    I understand the urge to upgrade a Surly
    Not an urge, an illness, upgraditis. Deadly disease, for your wallet, anyway.

My other disease is akin to packratosis. I have a hard time parting with my old bikes, what would that be called?

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Old Bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Not an urge, an illness, upgraditis. Deadly disease, for your wallet, anyway.

My other disease is akin to packratosis. I have a hard time parting with my old bikes, what would that be called?
    Maybe ... "Friendship" ??

Old bikes have a lot of good memories locked inside their frames. If you sit quietly beside them for a while, they share those good old memories with you...again

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    My other disease is akin to packratosis.
    LOL! I have a 150 mm Tioga T-bone stem 1" quill. Why is it in my parts box?
    Tuff Schist

Des(s)ert Rat
    Totally off the subject, but at least I'm the OP so I can hijack my own thread, but whereabouts in Oz are you? I will be in Melbourne and Adelaide for a bit as a Bike SA guest/stowaway in a couple weeks.

Members who have read this thread: 0