She shore 'nuf is purty- Mtbr.com
    Sweep the leg!

She shore 'nuf is purty

Unofficially it sits at ~22 pounds.

Stock items: frame, seatpost clamp, brake calipers & rotors.

Modified items: EBB has been drilled to remove mass and a TimeSert installed for the wedge threads. (always torque to 12Nm), nylon reflector brackets on the Mary bars as numberplate mounts

Carpet fiber bits: Bontrager Race X Lite Switchblade fork, Truvativ Stylo Carbon GXP cranks

Titanium bits: EggBeater 2Ti pedals, American Classic water bottle cages, Selle San Marco/Bontrager Ti saddle , the seatbinder bolt and the screws in my wrists

The remaining parts are: On One Mary bars, Real brake levers, ODI grips with the locking thingies, Ritchey WCS stem, Chris King headset, DT/Hugi 240 front hub on Mavic Reflex road rim 32h, 32t Salsa chainring, some chain, American Classic Seatpost, Chris King rear hub (multispeed) with aluminum freehub body, Chris King spacer kit, Surley cogs (15 thru 22t) on a Mavic Reflex road rim and at the moment IRC Mythos CX Slick K tires.

Did I miss anything? Oh, the spokes are a mix of Wheel Smith straight 2.0mm and DT 2/1.8/2 double butted with brass nipples, and Velox rim tape. I'll be swappin the shimano skewars for the Salsa Flip-offs on my roadbike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Caffeine Powered; 03-02-2007 at 05:26 PM.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would like to see more about the drilled EBB. Do you have any pics or a how to?

Thanks
    Dan

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    i need your help. This is my rig. It weighs in at 25 as you see it. What can I do knock weight off? I am 215 pounds so i need it to still function after 4 hours of riding. Is there something realistic i can do? Note, my tires have tubes.

Sweep the leg!
    I can't see it. Did you attach/download an image?

oh, and if anyone is wondering why I didn't post it in the "Post your Single Speed" thread... I tried and got this...
    "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40 bytes) in /data/data01/web/html/files/includes/class_core.php on line 723"

I don't know what it means so I just posted my own thread.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    I screwed up when making the reply. The pics are up now. Forgot to say, your Rig is great! Awesome!

Sweep the leg!
    Oh, I see it now. I dig the stem mounted mojo. If I weighted 215 I wouldn't mess with the wheels or tires. Yeah, you could save some weight with narrower tires but you'll pay the price with dinged rims and pinch flats. You could get a lighter post. I can't tell but is that a Brooks saddle? Keep that if it is.

I take back what I said earlier. If you built up some Chris King hubs on Salsa or Velocity rims with 2/1.8/2mm (aka 14/15/14g) spokes you would save some weight. You could get some lighter cranks too, XT's, Bontrager carbons or Truvativ's like mine. Those two options would cost a decent amount of money but you wouldn't be sacrificing reliability or strength for lack of mass.

As for the EBB drilling. I took a 1/4" bit and tried to pattern it through the meatier part of the EBB. It isn't pretty but it is effective. I didn't take any before or after shots. This spring I'll try to get some.
    Last edited by Caffeine Powered; 03-02-2007 at 06:00 PM.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    Thanks for the advice.
    Flip your skewer around toward the rear.

Sweep the leg!
    I took it over to talk to Creepy Friendly about the team's schedule this season and weighed it...

officially it's 21.6 pounds.

Now I need to go out and train. Skiing today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Switchblade Fork

Caffeine, do you like the Rigid fork? Are there any paticular reasons you choose to ride with the rigid fork? I have the Reba on mine and I am considering a rigid for two reasons: I find myself locking it out often and to drop weight.

Regards,

Sweep the leg!
    I don't know about the Rig but I've ridden plenty of rigid bikes off road. There's presently 12 inches of snow on the trails so I haven't been able to see if I like its ride quality. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

I went back to rigid for a couple of reasons. I think the carbon fork will behave somewhat like a shock for compared to the steel forks I'm used to or the aluminum Pepperoni on my Cannondale. I wanted to shed some pounds on the bike (2.4# for the fork swap). Of the other single speeders racing, roughly three quarters of them are running rigid here in Wisconsin. There are a couple that swap between rigid and a Reba. Add to that, Jesse Lalonde and his brother Marco, both top expert racers here, are running rigid and are placing in the top 10 or even 5 against multispeeders with suspension.

My final reason is this. When I first started racing MTB's in 1988 it was on a rigid Mongoose. I had to think about my line instead of blasting through whatever was in the way. I'm not convinced shocks make a better rider. Yeah, a shock is a useful tool. When it comes riding, it should be about the rider. IT shouldn't be about who can afford the best suspension. Of course, with that reasoning I should have put a Surly fork on it...

29er Geek
    What about plain ol' Zip ties for the number plate?
    unityhandbuilt

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... I'll play...Sweet build!!

I'll see your 22lbs, and raise you this:

Pure steel and no trick carbon parts!! Then again, you do have carbon parts!! AND discs to boot!!

BMX'er getting big wheels
    Those cranks are nothing short of sick looking!

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T
    Caffeine, do you like the Rigid fork? Are there any paticular reasons you choose to ride with the rigid fork? I have the Reba on mine and I am considering a rigid for two reasons: I find myself locking it out often and to drop weight.

Regards,
    i can read that you directed this to caffeine, but i have the carbon switchblade too, and have ridden it alot. I live in PA, the trails are technical, rocky, and very rooty. On this bike, the rigid fork is a non issue. I love it. But the fork is carbon and as is the stem and bar, that helps. I have ridden the 07 monocog flight made of the sanko steel with steel fork and there was no comparision. My setup was far more comfortable and seemed to track better when really flowing down the trail. i rode the reba for a year, great fork, but the setup I have now feels more appropriate and fun. i replaced that marzochi fork on my xcaliber with the reba. major improvement!

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by burner
    Flip your skewer around toward the rear.
    Why? It is not forward so that it is legible if that is what you think. It is forward to make it easier for removal. Do you think it is gonna catch something? Never have a had that prob on any of my bikes. Maybe if you can't stay on the trail that become a prob.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    What about plain ol' Zip ties for the number plate?
    I tried that. The plates WORS gives us for the series are plastic, So they're less than flexible trying to get them on my Mary bars and because they weigh more than paper they bounce all over the darn place if you let them hang. The paper ones are fine,

Quote Originally Posted by TrikeKid
    Those cranks are nothing short of sick looking!
    Do you mean the Truvativs? Not bad for $85 at the bike swap, eh? They sure seem stiffer than the stock "Bontragers" with the Isis bb.

Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    I'll see your 22lbs, and raise you this:
    Yesterday Creepy Friendly was telling me about his 18 pound Rig. I don't feel the need to get mine that light now. There it is...

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ...

Niceee!! Now, no more photo's of the pink bike, and more of the pics of the posters up in the shop, in the background!!
    (Sorry, perv took over.) Seriously, what shop is that anyhow??

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Niceee!! Now, no more photo's of the pink bike, and more of the pics of the posters up in the shop, in the background!!
    (Sorry, perv took over.) Seriously, what shop is that anyhow??

That's one of our two Trek Stores. As in you could have one just like it, just call Trek and arrange the financing... I'll bet they'll throw in the posters for you.

Retro Grouch

Start with your tubes..

Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    i need your help. This is my rig. It weighs in at 25 as you see it. What can I do knock weight off? I am 215 pounds so i need it to still function after 4 hours of riding. Is there something realistic i can do? Note, my tires have tubes.
    Standard tubes can weight over 1/2 lb over lightweight tubes. Check out some of the Performance Lunar lites for 700c. Also, go with Shimano or SRAM 8/9 speed chain; they're just as strong and weigh about 1/2 of a BMX chain. Your probabbly proud of that seat, but a Ti Selle Italia is again about 1/2 the weight. Also, this is not a weight thing, but those Salsa skewers need to go. I used them for about 3 years and they gave me nothing but grief; they seem to slowly self destruct.

This is what I did to lighten my Bonty..

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=lunar

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

im so metal i poop tanks.
    those posters are actually paintings done on doors by one of our salesmen...he's good. www.aomthree.com

Members who have read this thread: 0