Share some stoke!- Mtbr.com
    Robtre

Share some stoke!

Local trail for me is Lake Norman State Park in Troutman NC. Usually I ride 32x19 which is a pretty lazy approach to the trails I can certainly handle 32x18 but today, today my fellow single-speeders, I "upped the anty" and put a 17t cog on the back and let it rip! My inspiration came when riding with my great friend in Dupont State Forrest in Brevard where I took my 32x19 and beat myself to death out there for couple hours before the rain came. The climbs were certainly tough but do-able. I came to the conclusion that to challenge myself on my local fare I would have to re-gear to make it tough/fun again. I set my PR on one of the loops in LNSP and muscled up the most difficult loop in the park so no walking for me. I am pretty stoked. My strength has always been well, strength while my weakness has always been endurance. I can either do 10-14 miles balls out or 20-30 miles at 60%. I needed a new challenge, and lately my riding buddy ( a gearie ) has been catching up to me so I had to step my game up. I am keeping it on for the remainder of the summer and pushing hard despite the elements (heat) in hopes I can in fact get faster/stronger and keep the SS spirit strong! So if you have a story of similar triumph please:

Share some Stoke!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Always stoked to whip my gearie buddy's tail, man! Especially on his own turf (I'm in B'ham, he's in Nashville). I've got the same gearing as you - 32-17 - and love it! I'm always stoked about clearing a new section of some technical stuff, then even more stoked when I just stomp up it like nobody's business. I always felt like a weanie having to drop to the granny gears, so I'm always up for getting on the SS!

mtbr member
    Similar story but going to more teeth with more stoke ! Was running 32x19 for the longest time and was ending up beat from doing big rides two days in a row. Tried a 32x20 then settled on the 32x21 and it helps a bunch. Mostly fire trails with very few flat sections and loads of steeps. The added teeth lets me ride longer with my geared buddies without slowing things down too much. I have 19t-22t cogs and the 21t is perfect for 3000 ish ft. gain rides and allows a bit more seated spinning on the ups with less of a blown up feeling from the huge hills. Waited about 10 minutes @ the top today for my geared riding bud ! My sliders allow for all the cogs with the same chain which helps.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Similar story but going to more teeth with more stoke ! Was running 32x19 for the longest time and was ending up beat from doing big rides two days in a row. Tried a 32x20 then settled on the 32x21 and it helps a bunch. Mostly fire trails with very few flat sections and loads of steeps. The added teeth lets me ride longer with my geared buddies without slowing things down too much. I have 19t-22t cogs and the 21t is perfect for 3000 ish ft. gain rides and allows a bit more seated spinning on the ups with less of a blown up feeling from the huge hills. Waited about 10 minutes @ the top today for my geared riding bud ! My sliders allow for all the cogs with the same chain which helps.
    Sounds like you are covering a lot more elevation! Good stoke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Sounds like you are covering a lot more elevation! Good stoke
    Yup....my favorite trails are where the term "senseless stupid climbing" comes from. Sometimes in only four miles you can have climbs of 2000 ft. gain here in the bay area. Openspace.org - Your Preserves - Sierra Azul

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ancient rascal, does the "Peet's" in your signature line refer to Peet's Coffee by any chance? Or Peet's Wicked Ale? Just curious...

singletrack bound
    my guess is Pete's coffee.

mtbr member
    I'll share some SS newb stoke.
    I'm only three rides in on my first SS and this past weekend I hit up one of the better trail systems (imba epic) in the area.
    I PR'd or second bested every strava segment I rode. Previous records were set on a carbon hardtail. My SS is a steel rigid
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    ancient rascal, does the "Peet's" in your signature line refer to Peet's Coffee by any chance? Or Peet's Wicked Ale? Just curious...
    Peet's Coffee after the ride for the weekly stash and a cup for the road. The liver is only hanging on by a thread !

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    This past weekend I was on a long fireroad climb up the mountain I saw 2 riders in the distance ...probably 200-300 yards..I never thought I could catch them but I did and as I passed the geared full suspension riders the one said" you came up on us so quick I thought you were a dirt bike".( He probably heard the buzzing of my Hope hubs!)I continued on my way.I've only been riding rigid SS for a few weeks so I was psyched.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Neal brought Neil's Donuts as an after ride treat yesterday. I was pretty stoked about that.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I used to run 32x17 and then I switched to 32x18 because it was faster.

i have recently come into an obsession about the look of my legs. I need more muscle so I can wear shorty shorts and show them off.

Long story short, Im fixing to go back to 32x17 to make my legs sexier.

Yes, i am that vein.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I used to run 32x17 and then I switched to 32x18 because it was faster.

i have recently come into an obsession about the look of my legs. I need more muscle so I can wear shorty shorts and show them off.

Long story short, Im fixing to go back to 32x17 to make my legs sexier.

Yes, i am that vein.
    Vain about veins?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Vain about veins?

No, I cant spell. Thanks for reminding me. I usually just do the talking with my legs.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    No, I cant spell. Thanks for reminding me. I usually just do the talking with my legs.
    Just messin' with ya

George Hincapie's not vain about veins

and I think his super hot wife's okay with them too.

Stock, but with upgrades.

Dupont

Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Local trail for me is Lake Norman State Park in Troutman NC. Usually I ride 32x19 which is a pretty lazy approach to the trails I can certainly handle 32x18 but today, today my fellow single-speeders, I "upped the anty" and put a 17t cog on the back and let it rip! My inspiration came when riding with my great friend in Dupont State Forrest in Brevard where I took my 32x19 and beat myself to death out there for couple hours before the rain came. The climbs were certainly tough but do-able. I came to the conclusion that to challenge myself on my local fare I would have to re-gear to make it tough/fun again. I set my PR on one of the loops in LNSP and muscled up the most difficult loop in the park so no walking for me. I am pretty stoked. My strength has always been well, strength while my weakness has always been endurance. I can either do 10-14 miles balls out or 20-30 miles at 60%. I needed a new challenge, and lately my riding buddy ( a gearie ) has been catching up to me so I had to step my game up. I am keeping it on for the remainder of the summer and pushing hard despite the elements (heat) in hopes I can in fact get faster/stronger and keep the SS spirit strong! So if you have a story of similar triumph please:

Share some Stoke!
    Dude, did you ride up that slick rock section at Dupont after the Airstrip trail? That part feels like it will never end!

mtbr member
    More SS stoke today.
    I took my SS to IMO the "hilliest" trail system in Florida. I know that the words hilly and Florida bring the lolz to you guys who ride in the mountains, but this place is tough. I succeeded in my one goal of not walking anything and I actually doubled up the two hardest trails there. To top it off I got an accidental KOM and the third fastest time on the hardest trail in the system. Badass!

Btw, 30 miles on the rigid have my bis, forearms, tris, and upperback yoked. I feel like I've just finished three hours worth of pull ups and dips
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'll tell ya what I'm stoked about - locking the front fork and shredding the trails, pseudo-rigid ( can't really call it rigid because there is a little play there still!). I thought I would be in for a beating and rattle my teeth out, but that wasn't the case at all! still feel the hits a bit more, but I have better control. singlespeed, 26 inch, rigid...stoked!!!

mtbr member

Made it back in one piece Stoke

Had a broken link on the chain that I thought was the hub or the chainring today. Good thing it didn't snap on a steep hill ! Stopped off at the lbs and he caught it just in time. New chain with a rebuilt rear hub and I am ready to go for tomorrows ride @ Sierra Azul. Be nice to see another SS'er out there ? http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...am-801233.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I converted my On One Inbred 29er back to a geared bike, but I can only go for so long without a SS. Converted my On One 456 (34x20) to a SS, and I love it. Whips around corners, climbs well, rails rocky singletrack and slippery fire roads.

I need new fresh tires to enhance the stoke'age. 26" SS are underrated.

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by SCkikapuD View Post
    Dude, did you ride up that slick rock section at Dupont after the Airstrip trail? That part feels like it will never end!
    I made it about 2/3 of the way, stopped, caught my breath and did the rest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My SS obsession has emptied my wallet but filled my bucket o stoke...going on number 3 - Ti HT rigid race 31x19, steel rigid commuter 32x17 & Ti HT trail 30x19 in-process

Members who have read this thread: 0