Setup Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    Bananas...mmm

Setup Suggestions?

Howdy all. My cheap tensioner has always performed alright for me; however, upon recently switching to a larger cog (20T), I was unable to run the tensioner in "push-up" mode (clearance issues). Alas, I am now experiencing some chain skippage under even moderate torque. Having adjusted and checked/re-checked my chainline, it would seem that insufficient chain wrap is the likely culprit (chain/cog/ring are new). For my current setup (pictured), chain is at the minimum length without using a half-link.

Based on my experience and the great info on these boards, I intend to try the following measures (in order of ease/expense), but could sure use some insight as to other approaches I may be missing, etc.

1. Use a half-link, see if I can revert back to "push-up" mode on the tensioner. I may still experience some clearance issues between the jockey wheel and the cog. Even in push-down mode, I may gain an extra tooth or so of chain wrap (but will this be enough?)

2. Try a different tensioner. Here's where I could use some suggestions, since I've only used this tensioner. Are others (e.g. Rennen, DMR, etc.) sufficiently long to clear the 20T cog? Anyone with experience using tensioners and relatively large cogs?

3. Bite the bullet and invest in an ENO hub -- I realize this is probably the most desirable solution, but those things are pricey!

4. Get stronger, move back to a smaller cog Of course -- but until then...

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Work to live, don't live to work...

mtbr member

Another Option

You could go back to your origional rear cog and run a smaller chainring. That would allow you to run the easier gear ratio, and probably use your tensioner in the same manner that previously worked well.
    Happy Trails...

mtbr member
    I'd try a half link first. They're cheap, so there's not really any risk involved. Failing that, if possible, try jumpin_joe2u's idea, and run a smaller chainring. I don't know about other tensioners.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpin_joe2u
    You could go back to your origional rear cog and run a smaller chainring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    I'd try a half link first. They're cheap, so there's not really any risk involved.

These are two great and inexpensive remedies for your problem.

But look long and hard at the ENO. That will be the permanent solution.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    FYI - I have a geared frame and didn't want to mess with a tensioner. I went straight to the Eno, and I couldn't be happier. Over a year of riding and I can run any cog my wimpy legs desire! The ENO also works great.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Bananas...mmm
    'ppreciate all the advice, folks. Haven't had time yet, but plan to experiment with a half-link at some point this week. I'm half-hoping it doesn't work out so I have an excuse to go for the eno On the other hand, I'm expecting another bike this week, so if the $3 half-link gets me a decent ride, I won't have to maneuver around the wife for more expensive bike goodies
    Work to live, don't live to work...

Members who have read this thread: 0