Setting up Bianchi MUSS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Setting up Bianchi MUSS

I just picked up a Bianchi MUSS frame and am about to order some essentials to get it ready to roll. Im going to be using the wheelset off of my FS rig until I have the funds to get some 27.5" wheels for the MUSS.

Here I what I'm getting, I'm looking for help from you experienced SS riders to ensure what I'm getting will work with this frame

Crankset:
    Race Face Ride 1X NW Crankset OE > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA

Rear cog, spacer kit, chain tug, and chain:
    Surly Single Speed Cog > Components > Drivetrain > Single Speed Cogs | Jenson USA
    Surly Single Speed Spacer Kit > Components > Drivetrain > Single Speed Cogs | Jenson USA
    Origin 8 Chain Tensioners > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Guides & Tensioners | Jenson USA
    SRAM PC-870 6/7/8 Speed Chain > Components > Drivetrain > Chains | Jenson USA

Is my QR rear wheel skewer going to work?

Headset:
    Cane Creek 10 EC34/28.6|EC34/30 Headset > Components > Headsets > Complete Headsets | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sounds like a solid build. The QR should be fine with the Chain Tensioners. I run CK Fun Bolts on my PUSS with no tensioner. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the confirmation. Im looking forward to giving this SS budget build a try!

Anyone run these brakes? I have Zee's on my FS bike and they are exceptional. That said I don't need that much power on a rigid SS. As long as they stop better than BB7's and are hassle free im happy. $64 for a complete set w/o rotors in nice.
    Shimano M396 Disc Brake > Components > Brakes > Mountain Disc Brakes | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    I had a set of those brakes on my pugsley for a while. They were good but not great. Probably gave 2x the stopping power of the BB7s they replaced for 1/2 the effort at the lever. XT brakes are more like 10x stopping power for 1/4 the effort. They did make strange rattling sounds at times, but usually managed to stop me.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

SSOD
    Awesome bike, I used to have a WUSS and always wanted to do the 650 wheel with it. I like running these skewers,

Shimano XT M785 Quick Release > Components > Wheel Parts > Quick Release Skewers | Jenson USA

Internal cams will give a little more clamping force but those tensioners you've got will hold anything. I like surely tugnuts but they are heavy and more expensive. Good Luck man, those bikes were a great design.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the info on the brakes. They sound like they are a decent set for the money.

This thing is calling for brown grips and saddle as well as some gumwall tires, assuming I can find some decent ones.

mtbr member
    Nice build, I miss my bianchi sass. I had it set up 27.5 SS also. I really liked how that bike climbed. I installed a salsa cromoto 26 fork on it which worked out great. I still use the bb7s off that bike, I think I should probably upgrade though.

mtbr member
    What is it with you people selling your Bianchi SSs? WTH, for shame. Ain't nobody gonna take or buy my MUSS.

You may want to use a surly chain tensioner since it has an adapter for QR, one on the DS may work well enough. I'm not sure how well the origin 8 tensioner will work (it may work just fine as long as you put the circular part on the inside of the dropout), but I do like the design. It's similar to the MKS tensioners I'm putting on mine to replace the BMX style originals, but I have a solid threaded axle instead of QR. 650b wheels are a good upgrade, I've been running a set I built several years ago with no problems and smiles all 'round. Post pics when you can, perhaps here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/post-you...on-829979.html
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I still have my sass frame, the down tube got dented up though. Just need to get it fixed one of these days.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TDK08 View Post
    This thing is calling for brown grips and saddle as well as some gumwall tires, assuming I can find some decent ones.
    Ardent 2.4 gumwalls?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I finally got the bike built up and took it for its maiden voyage at a local trail named Samson. Samson is known for its climbs and loose terrain. I thought for sure someone would find me on the side of the trail sucking all the air out of the area.

No such things happened. I haven't had this much fun on a bike in a while. Bike climbs very well, there may be something to this SS thing!

The bike finished out at just over 23lbs, not bad for downhill grade brakes, downhill grade seatpost, stem, and bars. Heavy cranks, et...

Ive got slx brakes and a 160mm rotor for the front on the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014