Set screw to split shell- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Set screw to split shell

I'm considering picking up a single speed frame that comes with a set screw ebb and wanted to know if it can be modified to a split shell as I prefer that type better. Do you know if it can be done or have you seen it done before? If so, what would such a mod like that cost me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the frame is steel, then you could probably get it done by any decent builder. But I'm just guessing. You should ask them yourself, since they will also be the only ones to give you pricing on such a job. (keep in mind you might also need to repaint)

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    If the frame is steel, then you could probably get it done by any decent builder. But I'm just guessing. You should ask them yourself, since they will also be the only ones to give you pricing on such a job. (keep in mind you might also need to repaint)
    WIWR nailed it, an aluminum frame would ~proabably~ not take well to welding the pinch fixtures, depending on the type of aluminum used. Good chance steel would work, though. The good news about repainting is the area affected is in a place where people seldom look (under the bike) and depending on where you live, might often be concealed by mud anyway. That is to say, if your frame is black, you could probably rattle can it and no one would ever know.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The frame is 4130 cromo and I'm in contact with Siren as they are in SoCal and was told they could probably do the mod.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975
    The frame is 4130 cromo and I'm in contact with Siren as they are in SoCal and was told they could probably do the mod.
    What frame are you trying to modify?
    You can pick up a new Specialized SS frame with split shell from $400-$700.
    Or have Brendan make you a custom Siren

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's a 650b frame, and If it wasn't for a budget I'd look into a custom build

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would try just riding it with the set screw first and see how it performs. My set screw BB works just fine, especially when using a torque wrench and the Phil Wood insert. Proper setup of my Bushnell also yields excellent results.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I would try just riding it with the set screw first and see how it performs. My set screw BB works just fine, especially when using a torque wrench and the Phil Wood insert. Proper setup of my Bushnell also yields excellent results.
    If there's a way to modify it to a split shell then I will most like go that route as I feel it is a better design than a set screw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Siren should take care of you just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975
    If there's a way to modify it to a split shell then I will most like go that route as I feel it is a better design than a set screw.
    It is... but most of the EBB complaints are because they are cheap frames to start. Nice frames with nice parts rarely have issues. Why spend money when what you have will work? You said you're operating on a budget and can't afford a custom frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I wanna see how costly it would be to do the mod and if it's too costly I'll just get an Ala Carte frame as those will take 650's with no problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0