Servicing/maintaining SS freewheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Servicing/maintaining SS freewheels

Any advice on maintaining SS freewheels (Shimano MX, ACS, etc.)? I put a new MX30 on recently, after a couple of wet/muddy rides it sucked up water, then stiffened up. I soaked it with penetrating oil, flushed, cleaned and got some light oil back in it, (seems to be OK now). Can you open them up and repack with grease? Or are there better sealed freewheels?

Wandering not Lost
    Just ante up and buy the ENO. All others are just shadows of The ENO. No seriously it's top notch, rebuildable, and sealed. Worth the money by far.

mtbr member
    ENO makes the dollar stretch by a long shot. ENO also doesn't freeze. Doesn't give you a headache...ride it on sand, on a waterbed, snow, mud, pork rinds, its still 100%.

Ride anything else on sand/mud/grip/manure, and you'll be frustrated.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Yes you can open up a freewheel.
    Loosen the face, usually with a pin spanner with the freewheel still on the wheel. Once loosened, remove the freewheel from the wheel, then remove the cover and have fun with all those 1/8" balls.
    After doing this a couple of times, and ENO will seem cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I bought a Shimano one to try it out and get my ratio right. I ride in mud and muck by the river (and water treatment plant) since it's only a few blocks from my house. That freewheel does not spin smooth and is pretty much junk and I was just waiting for it to fail. I just purchased an ENO and it is definitely a solid piece. Just upgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks, same deal here, changed ratios, 2 wet rides and the Shimano croaked.
    I'll be ponying up for the ENO.

No Justice = No Peace

ACS too

I had two ACS freewheels - both of them bit the dust in less miles than the set of tires. I have an ENO now and I think I will probably pass it on to my kids.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    I have repacked every Shimano Freewheel I have owned. I repack brand new ones before I ride them. The easiest way to do it is to soak them in a parts washer, or if you don't have one of those and aren't too worried about day after tomorrow scenarios, soak it in gasoline. Once it is grease free and dry throw it in a ziplock sandwich bag with a couple of globs of your favorite grease. Seal it up, and work the grease past the seals and into the freewheel, by turning the freewheel and pushing in grease. Takes about 5-10 minutes till I can feel the freewheel being full. Then take the freewheel out of the bag and wipe it down. Works well for me. One of these days I'll break down and buy an 18 tooth ENO, but till then this works for me. I have also heard of people drilling out the spanner holes on the freewheel and pumping grease into it, I have never tried it but it might work for you.
    Suck Less, Be Better

is buachail foighneach me
    mine usually last a pretty long time. i just dribble a little phil oil in them every now and then. i usually try to avoid riding muddy trails though.

Welcome to the Gem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultraman
    I have repacked every Shimano Freewheel I have owned. I repack brand new ones before I ride them. The easiest way to do it is to soak them in a parts washer, or if you don't have one of those and aren't too worried about day after tomorrow scenarios, soak it in gasoline. Once it is grease free and dry throw it in a ziplock sandwich bag with a couple of globs of your favorite grease. Seal it up, and work the grease past the seals and into the freewheel, by turning the freewheel and pushing in grease. Takes about 5-10 minutes till I can feel the freewheel being full. Then take the freewheel out of the bag and wipe it down. Works well for me. One of these days I'll break down and buy an 18 tooth ENO, but till then this works for me. I have also heard of people drilling out the spanner holes on the freewheel and pumping grease into it, I have never tried it but it might work for you.
    that's nasty. all that going on?? just get an ENO, man. they're loverly! they're almost dead quiet, and... clean...

unless you like the grease monkey wrenching part... some people do. if so, this message will self destruct in 5... 4...
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    they're almost dead quiet, and... clean...
    The trials one does make a fair amount of noise, at least compared to the Shimano I had before it. I'd be curious to see how quiet a regular one is.

Members who have read this thread: 0