Serenity Raleigh XXIX Single Track Video- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Serenity Raleigh XXIX Single Track Video

My better half in our back yard.

Mine.

Last edited by ritninja; 10-10-2009 at 11:22 AM.

The Pantsman
    I want my 3:52 back!
    Probably the smallest 29-er rider in the Dutch Mountains.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ritninja
    My better half in our back yard.

Nice video, thanks for sharing. She looks like she is having a blast.
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Xterradork
    Thank you so much.

The first reply surprised me a bit.

I know it isn't a professional video, but I thought who wouldn't like to see a girl having a good time on a single speed on a single track.

I thought this would be nice for the other girls out there... or for those who are trying to motivate their significant others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HetTuig
    Sorry you didn't like it.

I guess you didn't need to watch all 3:52 if it wasn't your bag.

Could you enlighten me with some constructive feed back... what didn't you like, and if anything, what did you like?

Thanks.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Personally, I think it is awesome that anyone rides, regardless of how they do. I don't ride to race, but I ride to enjoy the world, beat myself up, get better and scare the crap out of myself, so I'd love to go on that ride with you.

While the internet is fantastic for sharing experiences with like minded people, it won't exempt people from being jerks.

I liked the video for what it was, though maybe lower gear inches might benefit your girlfriend a bit.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I liked the video for what it was, though maybe lower gear inches might benefit your girlfriend a bit.
    Agreed, congrats to her for getting on it. Hey you have to start somewhere, & rigid/ss is a fine choice to improve on skills quickly.

Ignore the haters
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HetTuig
    that's what she said

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you for posting, that is a great video. To me it is clean & simple just enjoying riding without any fancy clothes, shoes, etc. and done on a nice simple bike. Makes we want to get out there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with umarth that a slightly easier gear might be good for her for a while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ...maybe lower gear inches might benefit your girlfriend a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I agree with umarth that a slightly easier gear might be good for her for a while.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it has 33 teeth front and 20 rear.

What would you suggest for the replacement in terms of teeth and brand?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ritninja
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it has 33 teeth front and 20 rear.

What would you suggest for the replacement in terms of teeth and brand?
    I wouldn't worry about brand right now. Why don't you ask her if she thinks having an easier gear would feel better or not. If she says no, then case closed. If she says yes, then try 21 or 22 tooth cog in the back. I'm not that knowledgable, so get some other opinions too. It just seemed to me that she got off a few too many times when I think she'd be having more fun if she cleaned those sections. If she gets stronger after more riding you can always put back on what you take off.

mtbr member
    First of all great video. Those trails look fast and fun. I loved the bermed turnd *drool*. Great job getting her out to ride and she's doing great. She definitely needs a lower gear. My last SS was the next year Raleigh XXIX. You're correct - the stock gearing is 33x20. I'd recommend sticking with the 33 up front for now and switching out the cog for a 22. The bike spins up hills significantly easier with this ratio. You can get them from endless or countless other sources. Your LBS will make it easy for you. After she gets a little more comfortable on the bike she'll be able to carry momentum into turns and climbs better and can go back to the 33x20 for more speed on the straight bits. Enjoy the XXIX... great bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Summit county beetle kill? Looks kind of familiar... No SPD, wow. I'm such a puss it bothers me to ride without clip pedal. Maybe I should try - nice going, glad she's having fun.

banned
    I would like to see another 3:52 of that. Simple and serene, kind of states what the whole single speed thing is about. Thanks!

blet drive
    sick vid
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Summit county beetle kill? Looks kind of familiar... No SPD, wow. I'm such a puss it bothers me to ride without clip pedal. Maybe I should try - nice going, glad she's having fun.
    Thanks.

Serenity Trail, Solitude Mountain Resort, Utah. She has never tried clipless. Probably never will. Not a fan of being that connected. I had them for awhile. Some good things, some bad. Since it is cheaper to not have them, I don't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    I would like to see another 3:52 of that. Simple and serene, kind of states what the whole single speed thing is about. Thanks!
    Thanks.

Here is one of me that I just finished. This is the lower section off of the same trail.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nice vid. Makes me want to go out and ride, and I just got back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ...maybe lower gear inches might benefit your girlfriend a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding

Quote Originally Posted by donmeredith74
    She definitely needs a lower gear. My last SS was the next year Raleigh XXIX. You're correct - the stock gearing is 33x20. I'd recommend sticking with the 33 up front for now and switching out the cog for a 22. The bike spins up hills significantly easier with this ratio. You can get them from endless or countless other sources. Your LBS will make it easy for you. After she gets a little more comfortable on the bike she'll be able to carry momentum into turns and climbs better and can go back to the 33x20 for more speed on the straight bits. Enjoy the XXIX... great bike.
    Like this spring she still likes her gearing for most of the trail. Last summer I commuted on the XXIX and the rear tire is worn. This affects her attack confidence. The 3 sections that she doesn't make cleanly are the hardest on the trail. The first section is the steepest and the last few strokes are full on, bending handlebars, groaning frame, creaking bottom bracket, popped shoulders sockets, wheelie up, hunt left and right for 1 degree less, and a bit of surprise when you make the crest. The second section is not steep, just rocky. The line that she likes requires timed power and lift. She has cleared this before only to catch a smaller rock on the exit. The third section is almost as steep as the first, but it is after a sustained climb and there is boulder at the summit. She will have a new rear tire this weekend and if the snow melts we can give it one more go for the year.

Thanks for the suggestions.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Xterradork
    X2, great music and nice cinematography too!

I also agree with others that 33/21 or 33/22 would really help her at the moment to gain strength and confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Yes, sweet, simple, serene, picturesque and relaxing music!
    Get off the couch and ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0