Selling My Geared Bike; Everyone Thinks I'm Crazy- Mtbr.com
    Life is a 700c circle...

Selling My Geared Bike; Everyone Thinks I'm Crazy

I got back into bikes after a ten year hiatus a little over a year ago. My old bike was a money pit, so I needed to upgrade to something else, newer, more modern. I got a new Giant Trance X2 in March, my wife thought it was the best bike in the universe. I thought it was pretty nice too, until I threw a leg over my first single speed in June. Since June the Trance has pretty much just hung in the garage. My wife can't fathom whats wrong with it, and why I don't like it anymore. I can't explain to her that it's not that I don't like the bike, just it does'nt really suit me or the way I ride. I succumbed to all the marketing and hype when I got back into bike riding, "you NEED" hydro brakes, long travel, blah, blah, blah... I found out that the only real advancement in mtn. bikes, in my eyes, over the past ten years has been the introduction of 29" wheels.

So, now that I've made the final decision that the Trance is going up for sale ( I want to fund a new road bike ) everyone thinks I'm nuts. "what bike are you going to ride?"... my SS. "How are you going to do long rides?"... on my SS. "What about the hard core trails?"... yeah, I'll ride my Karate Monkey, no problem. Maybe I am crazy, but now when I ride a slow, squishy, energy bleeding, comfortable suspension bike; I feel fat, lathargic, and slow. Whenever I shift to a gear lower than 2;1 I feel like I'm cheating somehow. I can't clean obstacles with all that squishing, bobbing and compressing, chainsuck, chain slap... for god's sake make it stop!

I am a single speeder now. Sell the car, sell the kids, marry another, I'm never coming back.

Moral of the story; never get off the boat... unless your going all the way.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Welcome to the club...I had the same epiphany earlier this year.

Sold my 575 carbon and will soon have a One9 with carbon fork together.

I'm really looking forward to getting it onto the trails, it'll be a lot lighter than my Monocog (which was the eye opening 29'er for me).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I cheated today and i feel so guilty. I rode my friends geared Fisher X-Cal. I didnt know what gear to be in. I didnt know where the fork stiffness should be, or should i be locked out? Even locked out didnt feel right. Whats all that noise? Why do i feel something vibrating? What the hell are all these cables everywhere? Felt like i was riding a harley. Anyway, i got home and took my pedals off and put em back on my bike. So, its official. After riding SS all this year, i will now consider myself a single speeder.

Out spokin'
    Ride what suits ya.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sold my 429er for the same reason.

habitual line-stepper
    why not change your geared fs bike to ss? i was tinkering with the notion of converting my '08 IH MKIII to ss, since there's supposed to be minimal chain growth with the dw-link design. perhaps the yess etr to maintain tension and a 34-18 or so gearing. i haven't done much research on the conversion, but so far i'm diggin' on the ss with my monocog, so why not?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    When my Blur goes back together it'll be a singlespeed. Then I'll be the proud owner of 2 singlespeeds, a fixed gear and 0 shifty bikes.

You might be crazy, but around here you're in good company

Ride what's fun
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well, your Giant X2 is pretty much the epitome of a great trail bike, you shouldn't have it set up as a couch and the chainslap/suck is an easily fixed issue. Riding my full suspension is just a spinning experience, I don't really put any effort into the climbing, which is a shame because climbing is fun.

Regardless I love my SS, I ride my SS 90% of the time. I keep my "DH" bike, which is 6" f/r, for shuttles or days where I want to keep it mellow.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    Welcome to the club...I had the same epiphany earlier this year...
    Me three! Mary SS 29er did it for me.....my geared HT not getting much love since.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    I sold my S-Works Epic in April, had only ridden it a few times the year prior. Converted it over to SS to give the FS SS thing a try and didnt like it. Down to one rigid SS bike. Saves money and time. Plus its all I want to ride anyways!

SS or Die
    I dont even have my new SS yet and most in my club think Im nuts too. Not sure if I'll cast my other two geared bikes to the wind just yet but I can see them getting very little use when the SS arrives.

Im longing for a cable free frame with an uncluttered handle bar, a noiseless drive train with nothing that can break off when I least expect it, a lubeless fork with no maintenance and a mindless riding experience that doesnt involve repeated movements of the thumbs......Ahhhhh I can hardly wait!

The simple things in life are often the best...
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    When my Blur goes back together it'll be a singlespeed. Then I'll be the proud owner of 2 singlespeeds, a fixed gear and 0 shifty bikes.

You might be crazy, but around here you're in good company

Ride what's fun
    I agree with this.. if I ever join a riding group from my local forum Im sure to get alot of stares. Thats why I plan to ride SS to a certain level of mastery before joinin a ride in my forum

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    oh man, i dig this thread!!! u mean, i hate gears, shifting, shox, extra weight. x tra moola 4 a bike, and i am normal??? wow, this MUST b the place!! all kidding aside, i got a outcast 29er last xmas (santas good 2 me) and i have learned 2 mtb on it, now 4 my birthday, my 50th, this past august, i asked 4 and got a geared gt peace, i rode it once, and its been sitting in the garage since. i am hooked on ss, but i didnt realize it till i got another bike. i just e mailed the lbs, 2 c if i can return it 4 a ss gt, or the monocog, i hope so. ya, the ride on a rigid ss is so simple, and u really ride the bike, not the other way around. i just hopw the wife dont gimme the old its me or the bike, cuzz like brad paisley says, "im gonna miss her"...lol RIDE ON!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Same deal here.

Bought a used GF rig from a friend 'cause I wanted to try the 29er thing out. It snagged me as did SS'ing.

I took the ol' 5-spot out for a few rides...the love was gone. Sold the 5-spot and the Rig, then built a nice SIR9 setup as a SS...

Even tried to run the SIR9 with gears for awhile last winter...after a couple rides and I swapped her back to being an SS. The drive train noise and having to deal with shifting annoyed the sh!t out of me.

Luckily, I'm running a Reba w/a Maxle Lite...if I had a standard QR and wouldn't have to get a new front wheel too, I'd probably be trying full rigid w/one of the dead-sexy Niner carbon forks. Dunno' if that is a check my old body can cash on top of hard tailin' and SS'ing in North Jersey rock gardens

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by kanai
    why not change your geared fs bike to ss? i was tinkering with the notion of converting my '08 IH MKIII to ss, since there's supposed to be minimal chain growth with the dw-link design. perhaps the yess etr to maintain tension and a 34-18 or so gearing. i haven't done much research on the conversion, but so far i'm diggin' on the ss with my monocog, so why not?
    Probably because he saw me sucking wind when I did the FS/SS thing to my tracer. Its ok as an experiment but I found it combined the weight and inefficient pedalling of a FS with the pain and suffering of an SS. It was fun on downhills, but ultimately a fail IMO.

If you want my Yess tensioner to try it out I'll be happy to ship it to you. Its missing the main bolt that screws into the derailleur hanger, but a regular derailleur bolt ought to work. Just PM me your address.

I went through the same thing. First got an SS as something to try, then rode the FS less and less. Then converted the FS to SS. Then simply sold the FS and now have two happy SSers in the family. I also feel you can ride the whole hill on an SS and I'm not half as strong a rider as Norris.

mtbr member
    It's funny. I converted my old original steel rigid mtb over to single speed last winter and it's now what I spend 90% of my time on. Too much fun! I spent a pile of cash upgrading my 06 Stumpy and it collects dust.

http://www.nsmb.com/2987-readers-rides-2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    after loving my xxix for quite awhile now, I got a new Lynskey Ridgeline. My ibis mojo gets very little use these days. but, I go in phases. There are places I ride where I really appreciate the suspension and gears. Places with dropoffs, really steep stuff, etc... I still want a full suspension geary bike for that. But, I seem to be less interested in that lately, and just want to climb/descend anything I can on the SS.

Maybe I'll just do rigid ss on the stuff I think I need a suspension bike for? If so, I guess I'll sell the mojo. But, not yet...

Life is Go0d!
    Ya know, I have an observation to share. It seems to me, that the good old Monocog, and the Flight model, (which I have) are very similar to a gateway drug, once you try it, the enlightenment becomes unavoidable, followed by an immediate overwhelming urge, to stick it to the "Man" and give it to the suckas. Understand?
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by razin cane
    oh man, i dig this thread!!! u mean, i hate gears, shifting, shox, extra weight. x tra moola 4 a bike, and i am normal??? wow, this MUST b the place!! all kidding aside, i got a outcast 29er last xmas (santas good 2 me) and i have learned 2 mtb on it, now 4 my birthday, my 50th, this past august, i asked 4 and got a geared gt peace, i rode it once, and its been sitting in the garage since. i am hooked on ss, but i didnt realize it till i got another bike. i just e mailed the lbs, 2 c if i can return it 4 a ss gt, or the monocog, i hope so. ya, the ride on a rigid ss is so simple, and u really ride the bike, not the other way around. i just hopw the wife dont gimme the old its me or the bike, cuzz like brad paisley says, "im gonna miss her"...lol RIDE ON!!!!
    are you really 50?
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

E !

You're not crazy

Not crazy at all. Just a little weirdo(not as much as me though.)

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    yo moose, stick it 2 the man, like cool hand luke!!

mtbr member
    I believe the "mountain biking" sport itself used to be considered crazy.

Life is a 700c circle...
    I'm actually surprised that none of you guys got the Apocolypse Now theme at the end of my post... you know, Colonel Kurtz... Brando and Sheen? Crazy man, just crazy...

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    thats a sick flick..."charlie dont surf", but my favorite line is when robert duval says "what do u know about surfing, your from god damned new jersey!!'......hysterical

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    ya, 50 and kicking ass and taking names, bro!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My Blur sits in the garage too. Haven't been on it in months.

mtbr member
    I keep a geared bike around so my friends have something to borrow.
    :wq

Members who have read this thread: 0