To sell or upgrade current bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

To sell or upgrade current bike?

Hello, I currently am riding an 08 Giant XTC 1 I converted to single speed. I have a new crank on the way and a new tire and sprocket for it waiting to go on. I could convert it back to stock and sell it and have an surly chainring, sprocket, and brand new forte carbon riser bar left. Assuming I get atleast 400 for the bike I can get another 100 or so back in the other parts I just got, would it be worth it to sell and buy a 2010 GT Peace 9r? They run right at $500 from performace and then I could have a nice steel frame 29er. I'm a college kid and the money is kinda tight so do I stick with what I have or change bikes? Also if it factors in any I'm about 6' 3", 170lbs, and I don't do any major races.

Pic of XTC attached,

here's a link to the bike I'm looking at http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._#ReviewHeader
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails To sell or upgrade current bike?-bike.jpg  

Out spokin'
    I'm your height and I prefer the way a 29er feels under me and handles. You'll give up your suspension fork for a rigid one. My guess you'll get used to that. I actually prefer a rigid fork except when I'm racing which I do all summer (organized or just against my buddies -- it's all the same). What kind of brakes do you have on your Giant? My guess is the Tektro mechs will be a step down, but hopefully not totally unworthy. I'm not familiar with them.

The GT's gearing is way too tall for what I ride so if it was me I'd have to buy a new cog (okay, sprocket) and chain. Chains are like hair... you can cut them shorter but you can't cut them longer. Anyway not a lot of money but money nonetheless.

I say if you can afford it, do it.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The giant has hayes stroker rydes on it. I have a new chain on the way so I can just hold on to that and I imagine I can return my surly 18t for a 20t. I am just worried that ill have trouble reselling my bike now and its got sentimental value haha. It was my first real mtb.

surly inbred
    I suspect the 29'er would provide a nice foundation to upgrade when you have the means & urge down the road (sussy fork.). Throw a leg over one... like Sparty says, the fit might be well suited to your stature.

Apr 2007
    Since it's a question of 26 vs 29, I'd say go ride a 29er first. It may or may not be for you. There are 6'+ guys favoring 26" and 5' gals on 29ers. If you find the 29er more enjoyable, get one at whatever cost. If you can, buy the Peace first, switch brakes and whatever else, then sell the Giant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think im going to keep the xtc. I love the frame and have nothing against it. I just had to fight the new bike itch. Ill save my pennies and once I get out of school ill get something really nice and keep the xtc as well. Thanks for the opinions tho.

Members who have read this thread: 0