mtbr member

sell complete or part-out

here's my situation:
    I got a deal on a used custom Gunnar Rockhound about one year ago. i was not sure how much i would enjoy it but now i am hooked. i love this bike but a few things about it drive me nuts:

1. i cannot run anything larger than a 1.9 tire in the back or the treads rub on the frame.
    2. i cannot upgrade to disc brakes without buying a new frame, fork, and wheels (new bike)
    3. chain tensioners are a pain in the butt. mine is working pretty well but i would much rather have some sort of sliding dropout setup.

so i would like to just buy another bike, but i need to get the money for that purchase by selling this bike first. i posted it for $550 on craigslist but no bites so far. i work at a bike shop so i can get a really good deal on my next bike. i am pretty dead set on a Redline Monocog (26er) so i can upgrade to disc brakes later. any other suggestions for a reasonable-price rigid SS?

what kind of money could i get for this as a complete bike on ebay? parted out?
    16" rockhound, a few years old
    rigid Surly fork
    raceface stem
    Chris King headset
    On-one Fleegle bars w/ Oury grips
    Shimano XTR brakes w/ Kool stop pads
    Paul Word hubs, Sun Rhyno Lite rims (love these, but need to upgrade)
    Ringle Moby post
    WTB Devo Ti saddle
    Truvative cranks/ BB
    DK Distortion pedals

i am not sure how much that Monocog will cost me, but maybe i can sell just a few of the items above and upgrade the bike with the rest.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    almost always worth a part out unless the parts are throw aways. Looks like all your parts are at least mid level components if not higher. I would part out.

mtbr member
    You can fit a 2.0 in the back, but yeah it's limiting (I hated that too). To have SS drop's added and done correctly on a jig is going to be more than you want to invest.

I may have another option for you if you're interested in trading out. I'll PM you the details......

mtbr member
    how much do you folks think i could get by selling the...

wheels
    frame
    fork
    chain tensioner

the frame is an older Rockhound with Reynolds 853 tubing instead of that new OX stuff. if it's enough to buy a Moncog from SBC, i'll do that.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    If it's 29 i'll take the frame and fork off your hands

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I don't see why people have problems with tensioners, I've had no problems with any of my bikes that I've had horiz. dropouts on. Everyone is different though. Spot came out with a new tensioner not too long ago (not the rocket one) and its been great.
    Try to sell it complete, and see what you can get for it. If the number isn't what your lookin' for, part it out. You have a pretty nice build, and alot of that stuff will go quick.
    Livin' the dream.

Life is Go0d!
    Must be a new old stock 26 mcog. . they discontinued them last year.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    possibly, mo0se. (edit- crap, you're right. they stopped making the 26er monocog in 2008!) who else makes a decent priced rigid SS 26er? i am really not interested in 29ers at the moment. i know they are cool and everything but do we need to drop 26ers altogether? i can get ahold of Trek, Gary Fisher, Redline, Surly, and Bianchi stuff but not much else. i like my setup but the frame is ten years old now, i can't run discs, and i have to run a tiny tire in the back, which sucks with no suspension. most of the completes are out of my price range so i might be stuck with this (admittedly cool) dinosaur for a while.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 11-22-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0