Seeking single speed hub information- Mtbr.com
    Addicted
    May 2006

Seeking single speed hub information

I apologize if this should be posted elsewhere. I figured the single speeders would have the most knowledge of single speed hubs.

I know that numerous people have done multi-speed setups on SS hubs with great success.
    I'm looking to do the same, however my scenario is a little different.
    I'm looking to run a few cogs on my DJ bike, the magic number for the final width of my cog assembly is 18mm.

I'd like to confirm that this setup will fit the hub before I place my order.

Chris King is my first choice.
    However, I'm also considering the WTB LaserDisc SS, Halo XCS, or DT Swiss 240 SS.

If anyone happens to have any of these hubs on hand and could measure the usable freehub space, I would greatly appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Not directly relevant, but may be useful.
    6-speeds-ss-cassette-explained-591385.html

Addicted
    May 2006
    Thanks for the attempt, but really that didn't help at all.

I'll explain a little further.
    I bought an NOS 8speed cassette in which all the cogs were made of aluminum. Each cog is also entirely independent and NOT on a carrier like most guys are running on their SS hubs.

I'm going to run the 13,15,17,19,21 cogs. Each cog is 2mm thick.
    I'll be running one of the new Shimano Saint Shadow Plus derailleurs to keep everything super compact and out of the way. This is going on my 2011 Giant STP. I worry about having one of my X0 derailleurs getting smashed to bits on a bailed 360.

The new Shadow Plus derailleurs are only available in 10speed form. 10speed spacing is 3.95mm from center of cog to center of cog. With each of my cogs being 2mm thick, I had to source 4 1.95mm spacers to achieve proper 10speed spacing.
    4x1.95=7.8mm in spacers
    5 cogs @2mm each= 10mm in cogs.

Now with the combo combined together I get a total stack height of 17.8mm.

Unfortunately what no one has specified on any of the multispeed on SS hub is what the overall width of usable freehub is.
    That's why I'm here.
    I'm hoping someone has one of these hubs on hand and can measure it for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm guessing you want at least 18mm, not 18mm exactly, right?

If you strike out on the rest of those hub choices, my Hope Pro 2 Evo SS hub measures 24mm of usable space inboard of the lockring with my current spacer setup. It also has a steel freehub body, which keeps skinny cogs from digging into the splines on the body. Might not be as much of an issue using aluminum cogs, though.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Thank you. I appreciate that. The Hope is a hub that's kind of on the back burner. It's an option.. but I'd really like to try to use a King(most of my bikes are on Kings and I love their easy maintenance), WTB(I have an assortment of matching front hubs), or the new Halo XCS.

More than 18mm is fine. However, My "cog stack measures exactly 17.8mm so really 18mm would be just fine.

I was under the impression that the King BMX and Single Speed freehubs were the same.
    I have the King BMX hub on one of my bmx bikes and it looks like the singlespeed MTB free hub is wider than the BMX freehub.
    There is no way I could fit more than 3 gears on the King BMX, but I've seen some people are running 5 cogs on the King SS.

Members who have read this thread: 0