Seeking Position Comments- Mtbr.com
    Ouch, I am hot!

Seeking Position Comments

I like a somewhat upright position - bar height about even with seat height. I have that now, but only through a "massive" amount of spacers on the steerer tube. Some people have commented that I do indeed have too many spacers.

First, I am happy with the position. Is there any disadvantage to having such a large amount of spacers? Second, if so, what is the best way to achieve the same position though other components such as different bars and/or stem to eliminate the spacer disadvantage.

I have 1.5 riser bars (I think) and a 10 degree X 90 mm stem. Take a look at the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I AM JUST A JERK

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    A large stack of spacers can be flexy and potentially damaging to the steer tube. A 40 degree rise stem would be a better choice.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

viva la v-brakes!
    I had the same problem on my old SS. Had about the same number of spacers (maybe a few less) with a 15 degree rise stem and a 2" rise bar. A higher rise stem and bars with more rise (there are some out there) will help you more. In the end I decided the frame didn't fit me well enough, which I used as an excuse to upgrade.

It would be easier for people to comment on your position if you were sitting on the bike.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

No Justice = No Peace

Bar rotation.

It looks like you have the bars roated way far forward too. I would suggest a longer stem, maybe 110, or even 120mm with more rise. You will be able to roate your bars down to a more normal position as well. As they are, it looks like you are going to really beat the tar out of your wrists.....
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Hoopy Frood

Headtube length

Part of the issue may be the headtube length on the Gunnar. Because Gunnar specs a long top tube on their bikes, you end up riding a smaller size. One benefit is a lot of standover clearance but the headtubes are shorter and your bars end up in a lower, XC-racing position.

For reference, I ride a 20" 1x1 and don't have near the number of spacers on it as compared to my 17.5" Gunnar. The 1x1 has the same top tube length but a longer headtube:

1x1 Headtube Length: 134mm
    Gunnar Headtube Length: 105mm

Gunnar geometry favors a stretched out, XC-racing style position. If you like a more upright position, you might want to look at a different frame.

I actually have about 30mm of spacers on my Rockhound and 10mm of spacers on the 1x1. I'm happy with my position on both bikes, though.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member

I like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I like a somewhat upright position -.
    Doggie Style for me and the ladies involved...

mtbr member
    Try one of these Cowan bars from Kona 75mm rise and a steeper stem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _
    _
    Beware the man who has just one gear. He may know how to use it.

Members who have read this thread: 0