Second thoughts on considering a Bianchi- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Second thoughts on considering a Bianchi

Someone responded to me in the other post of mine and told me to look into the problems noted by reviewers on this bike. I had no idea I would end up reading what I did. I don't like the sound of a steel frame cracking. Sounds like alot of chainline problems, poor headset, etc. I'm really skeptical now.

mtbr member

Mine was stolen and I replaced it with a 1FG

Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedPA
    Someone responded to me in the other post of mine and told me to look into the problems noted by reviewers on this bike. I had no idea I would end up reading what I did. I don't like the sound of a steel frame cracking. Sounds like alot of chainline problems, poor headset, etc. I'm really skeptical now.
    Ended up being a good thing. I had chainline issues, tire clearance issues, chainstay flex issues, etc. It was a cool bike for playing around on but I don't think it would take the day to day thrashing the 1FG does.

Plus.. I got the headshock version so I feel better about the 12 hour race coming up at Bar-H in Texas.

Good luck!

try driving your car less
    I have an aluminum one and it's been fine. The bottom bracket and headset are kind of cheapos, so replace them when they fail. But that makes the bike cheaper to purchase.
    The chain was also crappy, but I have kept that because it has not broken yet.
    But the steel one could be another story, I suppose.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

$I$$ is a nice way to get started with a cool bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    .... But that makes the bike cheaper to purchase......

Yes... if it were not for the low price of entry on the SISS I would prob not have stumbled onto the single speed thing. The 1FG is in another $ territory all together.

I am 6'5" and 225. Just to much beef for the pretty steel frame.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

2 things to consider

1. people with gripes about a product are probably more likely to write a "review" complaining about it; and
    2. the '03 SISS was Bianchi's first year making that design, with those materials. they may well have addressed problems in design and/or manufacturing for the '04 SASS.

i haven't had any problems with my DISS. sure, some of the stock parts are crap (i.e. headset, pedals, seatpost, saddle), but most of those items are personal preference, so why put an expensive pedal or saddle on a stock bike that someone else might not like? there's no excuse for the headset nor the post, but that's neither here nor there. all complete bikes at that pricepoint are going to have some questionable parts choices in the stock kit.

take the reviews with a grain of salt, that's all i'm saying...

mtbr member

i dont know about siss

but my BASS kicked AZZ. I rode that thing super hard since 97. I had to replace all the parts except the cranks but well thought out and built frame.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

So far, so good

If you're skeptical, are you here to be reassured that a Bianchi SS is a good bike? So far, after a year of hard riding, all I had a problem with on my SISS was the headset. Granted, I've pretty much changed everything about the bike except the frame, wheelset, tires, and brakes, but that was due to personal choice, not because anything broke or gave me a problem. I think the SISS, bone stock, is a solid bike - in fact, it's a downright steal for the money - and has the potential to be a really nice ride if you want to throw some money at it.

The man who fell to earth

Don't fear the SASS...

I wrote one of the sketchy reviews of the SISS/DISS. The purpose of the review wasn't to scare anyone off, just to let them know about the fixable problems up front. Plus many of these problems may have been corrected at this point, so don't just assume they still apply without checking it out.

For the most part the bike really is solid, it was definitely worth what I paid for it and I do not regret purchasing it. It has a solid frame, fantastic brakes, tough seatpost/seat/handlebars, solid-durable wheelset, and good tires. It's just that there are some issues you must be prepared to deal with, especially for a bike that is sold at that price. Most of the problems can be fixed fairly quickly, easily and at no cost to you. The headset is cheap, but it will be cheap on any bike at that price. And as cheap as it is, I'm still using it a whole season later (and I ride in a lot of mud and moisture). The pedals are junk and must be replaced...but this is usually the case with nearly any bike under $1000 (and sometimes much higher). The chain is cheap, but you can pick up a whole gross of SS chains at Wal Mart for less than $5 a pop...or just buy a better SRAM chain for $15-$30. The ISIS bottom bracket (used on the Truvativ cranks) is shite and will probably not last very long. But most new bikes today are sold with ISIS, so you're stuck there no matter what. Switch to Shimano Octalink cranks or go with a nice used XT square taper for dirt cheap (and sell your ISIS cranks on ebay).

I have the Alum version (DISS) and I haven't cracked it. Even if I do, I'm not really worried, the warranty will take care of it. As long as you have a cheap spare bike handy to cover you if your frame does go down (while you wait for replacement), I wouldn't sweat it. And Bianchi doesn't have a monopoly on cracked frames anyway, all makes can and do crack. If you're comparing this bike to the C-dale 1FG, it isn't a fair comparison because the C-Dale is sold for ~$500 more. And I can assure you the C -Dale headshock is very dated technology at this point (it has been discontinued on all of their other bikes). You could get a SASS with a new Fox 100 on it for that price and have a FAR superior front end and still have a good bike to boot.

But in the end, you just have to go with your gut. So choose wisely, Luke.