Second SS ride on the Niner SIR- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    634

    Second SS ride on the Niner SIR

    Well, after a business trip, one ride, and a monster of a cold that knocked me out for a week, I was FINALLY able to get back out on the Niner today.

    Well, I certainly learned I have some limitations! First ride was mainly short, relatively easy uphills, so today I decided to see how I could handle some 10+ grade climbs. Ouch. Completely different riding style than geared with a granny! But oh so much fun! Had to stop for the first time in a long time, although I hope some of that is due to recovering from being sick (or at least I am telling myself that). It has also been interesting as I have been trying out flat pedals for the first time in years (Spank Oozy's and Five Ten shoes), and that has also been a bit of an adjustment.

    As for the Niner, I really think this bike is the one. While I do prefer Ti on the road, having finally ridden both materials off road, I think steel has a slightly better feel (for me) on an MTB. The geometry is also, basically, perfect for me. I am very glad I swapped the incorrectly sent large for a medium, this thing fits like a glove. Swapped out the stock 100mm stem for an 80, and the stock alloy Ritchey bars for Niner flat's, and tossed on some placeholder grips while I await a set of Ergon's. I also have an AB oval, a couple Surly cogs (19 & 20), and a new KMC Z610HX on the way.

    Hit a lot of PR's today, can't wait to get some more saddle time and get my legs stronger. I can see why you all ride SS, this is certainly addicting!

    As she sits today.
    Second SS ride on the Niner SIR-img_2965.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: patski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    I also have an AB oval, a couple Surly cogs (19 & 20), and a new KMC Z610HX on the way. Hit a lot of PR's today, can't wait to get some more saddle time and get my legs stronger. I can see why you all ride SS, this is certainly addicting!
    Great bike, I just switched back to my SIR9 from an El Commandante, SteelRules! You'll love the AB Oval, I run 34 oval by 19. Due to wrist issues I replaced the Niner Rigid with a Reba 100mm and set some PRs on the Connector, a trail I ride a lot.

    Second SS ride on the Niner SIR-img_8143.jpg
    Last edited by patski; 08-14-2016 at 09:06 PM.

  3. #3
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,136
    glad you like it! the only thing that throws me is that you decided to put flats on it. why? for me being clipped in is the most useful and/or important on the SS. it allows me to pull up on the pedals on hard climbs and builds another muscle group, every little bit helps when your maxed out on a climb. i also think it helps for bike control over chattery or rough terrain on a rigid bike.

    have you considered putting clipless pedals on it? maybe just swap your pedals off another bike to try it? obviously it's more efficient. just curious why flats for the SS?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Great bike, I just switched back to my SIR9 from an El Commandante, SteelRules! You'll love the AB Oval, I run 34 oval by 19. Due to wrist issues I replaced the Niner Rigid with a Reba 100mm and set some PRs on the Connector, a trail I ride a lot.

    Some Auburn Dirt. PS: the Niner Rigid is for sale.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8143.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	1077261
    Good to hear, I'm going to run 32x19 when the new stuff shows up, with a 20 as an option. A lot of steep stuff here in Boise, plus having options is never a bad thing.

    I am pretty stoked on the rigid for the time being, however when I sell a couple of my bikes I am considering a suspension fork and possibly the couple bits required to go 1x11, and have only one bike.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    glad you like it! the only thing that throws me is that you decided to put flats on it. why? for me being clipped in is the most useful and/or important on the SS. it allows me to pull up on the pedals on hard climbs and builds another muscle group, every little bit helps when your maxed out on a climb. i also think it helps for bike control over chattery or rough terrain on a rigid bike.

    have you considered putting clipless pedals on it? maybe just swap your pedals off another bike to try it? obviously it's more efficient. just curious why flats for the SS?
    I did a considerable amount of reading, including some *semi* scientific studies showing that clipless are in no way more efficient, and I figured why not try it myself. It is also noted that riding flat actually can increase skills, especially with bunny hopping. I also thought I might be able to push myself in technical stuff with the ability to put a foot down just a little faster, and read several other people saying they experienced the same after the switch.

    I am not sold on it yet, only a couple rides, but I am not hating it at all. I still may switch back to my tried and true eggbeaters, but I want to give this a chance first.

  6. #6
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,136
    fair enough. different strokes. i just know that i would not be able to make a lot of climbs around me (steep, rocks, roots, technical, loose over hard) without being clipped in.

    the clipless efficiency thing: taking scientific studies out of the equation, if flats were as efficient for constant pedaling (XC racing and road racing, not DH/BMX etc.) then wouldn't the pro's be using them? I've never seen a roadie or XC racer on flats. i mean, you could use them for other reasons obviously depending on your priorities, or just for fun, but i just don't believe they are as efficient.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    fair enough. different strokes. i just know that i would not be able to make a lot of climbs around me (steep, rocks, roots, technical, loose over hard) without being clipped in.

    the clipless efficiency thing: taking scientific studies out of the equation, if flats were as efficient for constant pedaling (XC racing and road racing, not DH/BMX etc.) then wouldn't the pro's be using them? I've never seen a roadie or XC racer on flats.
    I get what you are saying, and I may reach the same conclusion. That said, XC pros are many times the rider I am, so I think it is a poor comparison to me and my riding. Road, definitely clips, I see no reason not to. With regard to climbs, I can see the argument both ways, however sometimes I bail out of a steep/techy climb early because I am nervous of sticking my cleated foot out any farther up the trail. That won't be an issue with normal shoes, and the process of getting off the pedals is faster, as long as I can keep pressing down.

    Again, no idea if this is a long term setup, but I don't hate it for now.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    741
    I have Ergon grips on my rigid Sir9/Niner carbon fork. It really helps reduce the hand numbness.The pedals I use are the Shimano XTR wider Trail model and Sidi Spider or the older Pearl X-Project shoes. With a loose setting it's fast clipping out as needed but after you get used to them I would tighten up. The reason is, a rigid bike rides rough and sometimes knocks your feet off. Being clipped in really helps. I'm not sure what your wheel build is but I suggest wide rims (inner 29mm minimum) plus high volume tires. I use Schwalbees 2.35 NN's and HD's but the Conti 2.4 TK's or MK's are my second choice. If you using a regular geared hub I'd upgrade to a single speed specific. Wider flanges make a much stronger wheel and IMO give a single speed a much better feel. Just my 2cents
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

    Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    I have Ergon grips on my rigid Sir9/Niner carbon fork. It really helps reduce the hand numbness.The pedals I use are the Shimano XTR wider Trail model and Sidi Spider or the older Pearl X-Project shoes. With a loose setting it's fast clipping out as needed but after you get used to them I would tighten up. The reason is, a rigid bike rides rough and sometimes knocks your feet off. Being clipped in really helps. I'm not sure what your wheel build is but I suggest wide rims (inner 29mm minimum) plus high volume tires. I use Schwalbees 2.35 NN's and HD's but the Conti 2.4 TK's or MK's are my second choice. If you using a regular geared hub I'd upgrade to a single speed specific. Wider flanges make a much stronger wheel and IMO give a single speed a much better feel. Just my 2cents
    I FINALLY got the Ergon angle dialed today, and am officially sold on them for my rigid.

    As for the pedals, I honestly haven't had any issues with my feet coming off with my Spank Oozy/Five10 combo, although I do want to switch back now that I am used to flats and see if I notice any difference, good or bad.

    I did end up getting a DT 350/Flow MK3 (29ID) built for my ROS that needed a wheelset, and have been very happy with them. So much so, I may just buy another of the same for the SIR, or go with Arch's, still haven't decided. I thought about going with an SS specific hub, but the reviews of the 350's were just too strong... and I am really liking the hubs. if I have the scratch one day, I will certainly order a CK SS wheelset, but until then, I think the 350's have become my go to. I am not very heavy, so the strength gained by an SS hub would likely not do me a huge amount of good, although it wouldn't hurt I am sure.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    741
    The feel of a well built wheel set with SS specific hubs and wide rims is worth the money. I will never use Stan's again even though he's trying to catch up with the new MK3 slightly wider rims,he's still full of **** with his "Wideright" BS so he can sell his narrow rims. I'm replacing my Velocity Blunt 35's with WTB asymi35 in back and Scaper i40 for the front. They widen out the Schwalbe NN and HD really nicely.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

    Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

  11. #11
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,136
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    The feel of a well built wheel set with SS specific hubs and wide rims is worth the money. I will never use Stan's again even though he's trying to catch up with the new MK3 slightly wider rims,he's still full of **** with his "Wideright" BS so he can sell his narrow rims. I'm replacing my Velocity Blunt 35's with WTB asymi35 in back and Scaper i40 for the front. They widen out the Schwalbe NN and HD really nicely.
    wow, that's a lot of animosity, was it something he said?

    I agree they were a little slow to release their new wider rims, but i still think they make a quality product at a great price. i wouldn't call 29mm IW "narrow", not everyone wants or needs i40 rims (which are "optimized for 2.8 tires")
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    155
    Yeah right, like on my ss xc weapon, I run a ss specific rear hub with original flows which were silly cheap for the set f&r and they are certainly wide enough for my phat ass heft.

    THEN on my instigator of course would be found a set of 50mm rims to make full use of the Dirt Wizard tyre set.

    Depends entirely on what the bike is designed and up for plus minor factors like rider weight to a degree.
    Riding bikes means life behind bars, except no TV :-d

Similar Threads

  1. Niner RIP9 first ride this morning
    By DR.BG in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 11:25 AM
  2. Niner Air 9 Ride Characteristics
    By taob in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 10:03 PM
  3. Niner Air 9 Ride Characteristics
    By taob in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 09:25 PM
  4. Anyone ride a Niner Air 9 as a commuter?
    By djork in forum Commuting
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM
  5. Any large Clydes ride a NINER RDO?
    By Bunyan in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 07:10 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.