Second Bike?!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Second Bike?!

Ovaries on the Outside

Second Bike?!

Right-O. I've been on a cleaning out the garage spree recently, and have managed to sell three cheap and old bikes and two wheelsets, which leaves me with scratch. I want a second mountain bike, and I want to try something different. Of course, the budget is fairly limited, as I'm going to grab tires for three bikes with the same money.

The thing I'm struggling with is what to look for. Here is what I'm looking at: a longer travel hardtail or an AL bike. Every mountain bike I've spent much time on has had 100mm forks or less, so I was thinking I could get a frame like On One's 456 and run a longer fork for the long summer bombs, then throw on a rigid fork for tooling around town and the city's trails during the wet months. By sheer chance, all of my mountain bikes have been steel, and I'd really like to have something different, as all of my other bikes for the last four or five years have been steel as well.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for frame that meet one or two of these qualities, let me know. Or if people have suggestions that I should consider for a second bike. I'm open, all I want is to roll into the summer riding on something that will give me a new experience. Feel free to chime in...

surly inbred
    Well, I'm not you & couldn't be much further away from your neighborhood. Regardless, I've spent the last three seasons on one (tee-hee) of two 456's. I liked them. A lot. There's something very neutral about the geo. Super comfy rippin down at 130mm & at the same time manageable with a Salsa Cromoto. The only reason I jumped ship is that I wanted the slot dropouts coming on my new Inbred frame. 98.57836% of the time I ran my Revelation at 100-115mm when SS'ing anyway. So, same frame basically... and I can still go 120mm without concern.

So that's my thoughts.

One more.... 456 carbon? Not my thing, but it's definitely not steel. Nor cheap.

pss. On one is practically giving away the steel 456's now.
    Last edited by TroutBum; 02-01-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Apr 2007
    So what's the budget? And does the said budget include enough for the build up of the bike?

openwound
    Santa Cruz Chameleon?
    -- let's ride

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    ... and I want to try something different. ...
    Yo Brutha,

I've owned SS sleds with 4", 5" and 6" travel sus forks. Steel & AL frames. I can honestly say, for XC use (think speed runs down say, Alpine Trail), by mile 2 you won't feel much performance difference, one from another. Maybe if you're a DJer you'd notice a 1-2" difference in travel on landings, but I wouldn't know cuz I'm not a jumper.

If you really want to "try something different," I suggest you consider FS. There's a lot of sameness in the good ol' hardtail, regardless or frame material or suspension travel. Arms and legs do so much.

How about something with an engine?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I say yes. To whatever you choose. But a 2nd bike sounds like a good idea!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

If you really want to "try something different," I suggest you consider FS.
    X2. Or a unicycle. Tandem?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    f you really want to "try something different," I suggest you consider FS. There's a lot of sameness in the good ol' hardtail, regardless or frame material or suspension travel. Arms and legs do so much.

How about something with an engine?
    I have my SV, man. I'm a happy man. I'd be happier if there wasn't gravel down in random spots...

Funny you should mention what you did. I thought there was a decent chance that a longer travel bike might speed me up on some of the trails, but.... I thought about FS, but for 90% (maybe more) of the riding out here in western Orygun I just don't see it as something necessary. Especially considering 2/3rds of the time is spent cranking up thousands of feet to the trailhead. The bonus of the hardtail is I can put a rigid fork on it during the winter... Love to hear more from your perspective, since you've done everything in the area I'm riding...

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    X2. Or a unicycle. Tandem... So, what's the budget?
    I kinda like the tandem idea... I don't have a firm budget, but I did see that the 456 is selling for 225 (in addition to a lot of shipping). I have everything I need for a build outside a frame and fork and a few minor pieces. I could spend 600, but I'm aiming lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbum
    Well, I'm not you & couldn't be much further away from your neighborhood. Regardless, I've spent the last three seasons on one (tee-hee) of two 456's. I liked them. A lot. There's something very neutral about the geo. Super comfy rippin down at 130mm & at the same time manageable with a Salsa Cromoto. The only reason I jumped ship is that I wanted the slot dropouts coming on my new Inbred frame. 98.57836% of the time I ran my Revelation at 100-115mm when SS'ing anyway. So, same frame basically... and I can still go 120mm without concern.
    Kinda what I was thinking...

Apr 2007
    What size frame do you need? There is a guy selling a mint 456 locally for $125obo. 20" frame. Let me know if you want the link. I'd think shipping to Errgen (Utard drawl for your state) is ~$25-30?

Edit: 456 is vert drops/geared only. Guess you already knew that.

surly inbred
    Winter, townie and change of scenery.

Cross bike.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    What size frame do you need? There is a guy selling a mint 456 locally for $125obo. 20" frame. Let me know if you want the link. I'd think shipping to Errgen (Utard drawl for your state) is ~$25-30?

Edit: 456 is vert drops/geared only. Guess you already knew that.
    Yeah, I'm one of the guys that doesn't mind a tensioner. I'd love the link, too.

My dad was born in Ogden. Which area are you in?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum
    Winter, townie and change of scenery.

Cross bike.
    Would my Gunnar Crosshairs count in that regard? I will admit that is did a fairly good job on a lot of trails in my area this winter, the toe overlap pisses me off, and that is with fenders. A rigid 26" mtb with narrow tires wouldn't have that issue and I could run full fenders...

Apr 2007
    Yeah, I'm one of the guys that doesn't mind a tensioner. I'd love the link, too.

My dad was born in Ogden. Which area are you in?
    PM'ed the link. Sitting in my office in Ogden.

habitual line-stepper
    i picked up a used orange p7 frame off craigslist recently to replace my sette reken. i like the fact i can run 100-140 mm forks and have it geared or ss. once i get 'er cleaned and prepped, i'll swap the parts from my donor-cycle, though i haven't decided if i should try it as a ss before throwing a cassette and derailleur out back.

after i swap the parts, all of my bikes will be steel HT's (monocog & blue pig being the others)

good luck with your search!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

surly inbred
    Would my Gunnar Crosshairs count in that regard?...
    I see.

Me thinks... Well I don't know, but you sound like I do looking out at four feet of snow and need to fix something that ain't broke.

Throw some coin at swapping or upgrading the current setup... then throw the guy at the lbs [lovely beer store] a 10 spot to hook you with the reserve he's got stashed out back. Proceed to forget UGI & discuss the blonde hotty serving Sumatran along the morning commute.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum
    I see.

Me thinks... Well I don't know, but you sound like I do looking out at four feet of snow and need to fix something that ain't broke.

Throw some coin at swapping or upgrading the current setup... then throw the guy at the lbs [lovely beer store] a 10 spot to hook you with the reserve he's got stashed out back. Proceed to forget UGI & discuss the blonde hotty serving Sumatran along the morning commute.
    Ha, that could be the case, but for my usual biking lifestyle, I need to have three or more bikes, especially if I end up turning my Gunnar more towards commuter/ss cross bike....

Not that into blondes. And I'm only allowed to find my girlfriend hot. Part of the waiver I signed.

Members who have read this thread: 0