seatpost size confusion.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

seatpost size confusion.....

please i need someone's help.

I'm S/Sing a old bike (probably from the 80s) i pulled out of a trash pile.

Anyhow, i want to replace the seatpost....I pull out the seatpost and there is no size on it.

I have another seatpost laying around that is 25.7mm, which is just slightly too large for the frame.

Which makes me think that the seatpost is 25.4 maybe? but 25.4 is supposed to be 1" correct? Well i measured the 25.7mm post and it is 1 inch. Would this be attributed to production tolerances? I just don't want to buy a 25.4 seatpost and find out it doesnt fit. Maybe if i take it to the local bike shop they can size it for me. I measured the inside of the frame's seatpost tube and got something like .96 inches...

Anyone have any thoughts on this...and if it is smaller than 25.4, what options are out there for posts, doesn't seem like much to me.

one chain loop
    Here is Sheldon Brown's database for seatpost sizes. I hope it helps.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    it doesn't cause the frame i have isn't on there...i think i'm just gonna take it to the LBS and see if they can size it for me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ok well i took it to get sized and its a 24.3 mm...which means i'm out of luck.

Does anyone make any modern seatposts in a smaller diameter for road bikes? I'm thinking i can make up a shim or something maybe?

if i have to i can always get it cleaned up with a sandblaster? Also...if it was powercoated? would it be too thick for the seatpost tube?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You could get it reamed out.

mtbr member
    24.3mm is certainly an unusual size, but here's an example of one:
    http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleCo...0-2a704814345c

I'd have that measurement double checked. Is your bike French?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i want a seatpost like that...i have the crappy straight post with the clamp on top. and no its not french, its a piece of junk department store bike frame haha.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    since its gonna be so hard to find a newer one....how can i take all the nasty rust and stuff of the post? I'm gonna paint the visible part black i think....

are there any seatposts that would be able to be milled down to a 24.3 mm diameter...i would imagine it wouldn't be enough wall thickness for that though?....

or maybe somehow attach the head off of an inexpensive 25.4 onto the post i have now?....i mainly would like to have a one bolt adjustment instead of the clamp i have now.

Members who have read this thread: 0