Seat post @#$%^^*!- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Seat post @#$%^^*!

So I have been looking at my bike (can't seem to get my butt out on it, thanks to the wife/kids...) IN any case, it was looking like my seatpost was bent. So I pulled it out and put it on a straight edge (level) and yes, it is slightly bent. Go figure, I just got this thing a few weeks ago. I thought it looked a little thin walled when I got it but I figured that I would deal with it. I picked it up on ebay for $35.

I am sure there are quite a few of you out there riding Thompson posts. They are fairly light and super strong. But of course I want something lighter.

I have a few questions for you guys out there. My frame has a 27.2 seat tube

1. Anyone riding something carbon? Any problems? Cracks?....
    2. Anyone with a Titanium post? Brands? Issues?

I am reluctant to spend some $150 on a post and have it bend on me again. I have seen quite a few Moots set ups and looked at a Lynskey but as I mentioned, I have my concerns for that amount of money.

I have had carbon posts on just about every road bike I have owned. I am concerned that with having about 9" of post sticking out that it may very well snap on me. I weigh about 185 lbs right now which of course is also a concern with this material.

I am not against running a Thompson but am simply looking for something lighter. But it needs to be able to support my weight on a HT SS (fully rigid).

Post up any ideas you might have. Thanks in advance.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD

Post up any ideas you might have. Thanks in advance.
    Umm, HTFU and ride your SS. Without a seatpost if necessary Buy a cheap one if you're cheap. Buy a Thompson if you're flush. Just STFU and go ride.

openwound
    I'm running an easton ec70 (carbon) on my singular. There's about 7-inches of post sticking out. No issues yet, and I weigh 185 without the camelbak...

Out spokin'
    HT and rigid aren't the same. And "rigid" is rigid, no need to say "fully rigid."

Seatpost: Erickson ti.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

openwound
    He said, "rigid" hehe...

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yeah, HTFU and go sans seatpost. It'll save you weight, and you know SS are standing most of the time anyway.

mtbr member
    Get a Thomson Masterpiece. In my searching, I was unable to find much out there that is lighter.

Low Rep Count
    My buddy that built my wheels is going to sell me his old Thompson Setback for $50. Pretty much like new since he never really road his mtb much at all. Can't complain at this point. All is good. Maybe not the lightest but at least it won't bend

Low Rep Count
    Solved. Thompson post on bike now. Should have no further problems with a bent post!

mtbr member
    Get a Thomson if you want a reliable light seatpost.

Get an Eriksen Ti post of you want some bling and a reliable light seatpost.

Low Rep Count
    At this point I am content. If something goes wrong with the Thompson, I will really have to question my riding ability as well as my weight.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick
    Get a Thomson if you want a reliable light seatpost.

Get an Eriksen Ti post of you want some bling and a reliable light seatpost.
    Way more than bling, a ti seatpost is an awesome comfort item. If you're tall and have 8"+ of seatpost showing, it's as good as as softtail frame. I wouldn't get an Eriksen for the bling factor, but I'd sure consider one for the comfort factor.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Low Rep Count
    At 5'8.5" I would not say that I am tall. My frame is a medium but the top tube slopes down towars the chainstays thus requiring more seat tube to show. I have right about 9" of tube showing at the moment. My last ti post was very comfy but also cheap and the tube bent. The cheap easton post also bent.

I thought about doing a Moots or a few of the other nicer ti set ups but can't seem to get a view of the tubing itself to see if any of them have the thicker areas front and rear like the Thompson.

Now that I have a Thompson on the bike/in hand I can't justify spending $9 million on another ti post to save 50 grams!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    At 5'8.5" I would not say that I am tall. My frame is a medium but the top tube slopes down towars the chainstays thus requiring more seat tube to show. I have right about 9" of tube showing at the moment. My last ti post was very comfy but also cheap and the tube bent. The cheap easton post also bent.

I thought about doing a Moots or a few of the other nicer ti set ups but can't seem to get a view of the tubing itself to see if any of them have the thicker areas front and rear like the Thompson.

Now that I have a Thompson on the bike/in hand I can't justify spending $9 million on another ti post to save 50 grams!
    I hear ya. I'm 6'3" and the cheap Airborne ti post I employed on my Vulture took a permanent set after about a year of boingy comfort. It stuck out of my frame about 11".

I'm neither a weight weenie nor a slave to fashion. I wouldn't consider a ti post strictly for bling factor nor specifically to save weight, but again... the comfort can be amazing. If one came with a lifetime guarantee against bending... I might be there again.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Low Rep Count
    Thompson should make one!

smell the saddle...
    Something about a fully rigid steel bike and a carbon seatpost doesn't sound right to me. I saw a guy shear a carbon post in half one time (hopping over a log) - he rode the bike out even with the sharp sharded fiber left halfway on the post.

Sparty – When I toured the Lynskey plant last year they were just completing their design on their new Ti seatpost – doubtful there is anything more “bling” than that thing.

Although I can buy (3) Thomson’s for the price of that Lynskey, which I have one on each of my 3 bikes – by far better than any Easton posts I used in the past.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Something about a fully rigid steel bike and a carbon seatpost doesn't sound right to me. I saw a guy shear a carbon post in half one time (hopping over a log) - he rode the bike out even with the sharp sharded fiber left halfway on the post.
    I hope his buhymen is still intact.

Low Rep Count
    Post held up great! As did the new fork. Had an awesome group ride tonight!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thomson posts have a good warranty. If you bend it, they will replace it. At least that has been my experience.

master blaster
    ive seen a very bent thomson from a 180 pound rider on a fs with maybe 250mm of post showing. that was once. i ride thomson posts and love them. actually just picked up a 27.2x410 setback for $25 just cause i couldnt pass up the deal. may give it a shot with my new saddle on the orange.

Members who have read this thread: 0