Sea Otter XC- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sea Otter XC

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Sea Otter XC

Raced the Sea Otter XC yesterday for the first time in probably 15 years. Because I like my new singlespeed better than my old XC FS bike, and bacause I don't consider myself to be a podium threat on any bike, I elected to race my one speed against the gearies in the 60-69 category.

Had I done a pre-ride, I would possibly have realized that, my 30-20 (29" wheels) gearing was too low for a lot of the course. In particular, the last fireroad climb.

Any of you guys race yesterday? What gearing (and wheelsize) did you run?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolMark View Post
    Raced the Sea Otter XC yesterday for the first time in probably 15 years. Because I like my new singlespeed better than my old XC FS bike, and bacause I don't consider myself to be a podium threat on any bike, I elected to race my one speed against the gearies in the 60-69 category.

Had I done a pre-ride, I would possibly have realized that, my 30-20 (29" wheels) gearing was too low for a lot of the course. In particular, the last fireroad climb.

Any of you guys race yesterday? What gearing (and wheelsize) did you run?
    I didn't race Sea Otter this year as I'm currently living overseas...but got a 2nd place in Cat 1 SS there last year with a 36x19 gear. I realize the course was a little different and shorter this year (run in reverse mostly) so may not be applicable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I ran 32-18 along with many other riders in the open singlespeed class. I felt like this gearing was money. I had to walk two brief sections but I didnít mind it