Sea Otter Tire selection.......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sea Otter Tire selection.......

Never raced at Sea Otter but many of you have. Any suggestions on tire selection. From what I have heard it is fast course. Are conti twisters a good choice? Are their alot of technical sections requiring more rubber? Thanks for your help.

PS racing sport SS class with front suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Otter Tires

Quote Originally Posted by ibis-ss
    Never raced at Sea Otter but many of you have. Any suggestions on tire selection. From what I have heard it is fast course. Are conti twisters a good choice? Are their alot of technical sections requiring more rubber? Thanks for your help.

Not very technical at all. No rocks, no roots. Only studder bumps. If it is dry you want sticky rubber with small knobs, thin sidewalls and low rolling resistance. Doing only one lap I would go with something no bigger than a 2.0. The twister looks like a perfect tire for the course.

If it is wet I dunno, never had the pleasure of doing it with real rain. But if it isn't real wet it will be extremely tacky and fast in the corners.

34N 118W

dry or mud

I'm planning on a set for fast & dry and a spare set of tires that shed mud well. Last year it rained the night before the race, and right up to race time at 8:30am. The first section of dirt was muddy and gunked up everyone's tires. The course got drier from that point on, and by the time the expert/pros raced it was all dry.

It seems that the course dries quickly (unless it continues to rain). Anyone else?

just my .02

HW

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman
    If it is wet I dunno, never had the pleasure of doing it with real rain. But if it isn't real wet it will be extremely tacky and fast in the corners.

Jed Peters
    wtb epicwolf 2.1

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0's with slime filled downhill tubes.

Trust me.

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty

Trust me.
    Lookin' for every advantage eh? If so you forgot the low pressure.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Last year

Last year, the course was extremely muddy for the early sport starters. By the time the beginners went off about 2 hours later, it was great. I was one of the lucky early sport starters riding on Python air lights 2.0. The mud caked bad and the course was so slippery you had to ride OFF the single track to keep any traction. At least half the course was like this, but it is one of the most enjoyable, non-technical races you'll do. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks I'll try that!

Quote Originally Posted by aosty

Trust me.

Still mad about that Ritchey ring huh.... You all healed up and riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have a set of pythons

Quote Originally Posted by 34x16
    Last year, the course was extremely muddy for the early sport starters. By the time the beginners went off about 2 hours later, it was great. I was one of the lucky early sport starters riding on Python air lights 2.0. The mud caked bad and the course was so slippery you had to ride OFF the single track to keep any traction. At least half the course was like this, but it is one of the most enjoyable, non-technical races you'll do. Good luck.

I think this is the tire I'm going to run rain or shine. I have a set already and with paying for hotel sending the wife to the spa shesh... I may not have money for more tires!

The race, not the animal!

I ride the course 5 days a week.

Something that has a little bite as the couse can be sandy in some sections. I've run the following (fire xc pros, MTB Mutanos, Hutchinson Pythons, IRC Seracs, Kenda Karma Stick E). The tire I like the best on the course is the Karma 2.0 Stick"E". It's similar in weight to the pythons, however it has much better traction in the corners and sand. In my opinion the lighter the better at the Otter as you only have one section (Manzanitta rock section) that has any rocks. Most of the course is fire roads that is hardpack and sand and there the easier the tire is to turn the better off you will be. I run tubed Karmas on my SS and Python Light UST on my Blur. I much prefer the traction of the Karma and would buy them if they offerred a UST version.

Good Luck !!!
    Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount a Single Speed!. This is your moment. Ride On !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sea otter
    Something that has a little bite as the couse can be sandy in some sections. I've run the following (fire xc pros, MTB Mutanos, Hutchinson Pythons, IRC Seracs, Kenda Karma Stick E).
    I rode the Nanoraptors last year and they worked fine. I think they have even smaller knobs than the Mutanos. You did mean "WTB" right?

I'll probably ride the same ones this year(The same set even. I tend to wring every last bit of life outta my tires, often running them way past their useful life.), but I don't have a spare set of ss wheels and don't feel like dealing with changing tires the night before/day of the race seeing as I'm running Stan's (purchased last year at Sea Otter). If it rains I'll make due (It rained last year, but was pretty much dry by the time I raced.).

-Trevor

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Still mad about that Ritchey ring huh....
    yooooooooooooo Chris!

Ha nah.

You all healed up and riding?
    Still recovering but riding.

mtbr member
    I ran INTENSE Tires Cross-Country System 1 last year and they worked well for the conditions that day (rain soaked course). The tire is light, clears mud, hooks up great and rolls fast.

I am also a fan of the Hutchinson Python Air Light tires and I plan on running them this year.

See ya on the starting line...

TD

cojones inside

How much do you weight?

Quote Originally Posted by TD©
    I ran INTENSE Tires Cross-Country System 1 last year and they worked well for the conditions that day (rain soaked course). The tire is light, clears mud, hooks up great and rolls fast.

I am also a fan of the Hutchinson Python Air Light tires and I plan on running them this year.

See ya on the starting line...

TD
    I'm thinking of using these tires for the Otter, how much do you weigh, I'm around 182 lbs. Have you had any problems with front tire sliding out on tricky loose terrain?
    Kley

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by sea otter
    Something that has a little bite as the couse can be sandy in some sections. I've run the following (fire xc pros, MTB Mutanos, Hutchinson Pythons, IRC Seracs, Kenda Karma Stick E). The tire I like the best on the course is the Karma 2.0 Stick"E". It's similar in weight to the pythons, however it has much better traction in the corners and sand. In my opinion the lighter the better at the Otter as you only have one section (Manzanitta rock section) that has any rocks. Most of the course is fire roads that is hardpack and sand and there the easier the tire is to turn the better off you will be. I run tubed Karmas on my SS and Python Light UST on my Blur. I much prefer the traction of the Karma and would buy them if they offerred a UST version.

Good Luck !!!
    sponsored much?

(heh heh heh)

I found ANY tires to be good in the early morning gunk (can't exactly call it mud)- 4th group out (beginnerSS) after 5+ hours of rain made tripoding the best tire for DH...ok...enough....less race, more "fun ride"....I finished

previous day: mutano 2.4 up front, python in the back...odd, but worked well! also heard good about the larsen TT during dryer conditions.

damn I wish I was going....grrrrrrrrrrr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kley
    I'm thinking of using these tires for the Otter, how much do you weigh, I'm around 182 lbs. Have you had any problems with front tire sliding out on tricky loose terrain?
    I weigh around 155 lbs.

With any tire, you will need to find out how far you can push them. I have found that both sets of tires are great all around race tires. They are light, roll fast, climb great and they hook-up well in the corners--for me.

I've ridden Noble Canyon on both sets of tires and did not have any issues.

TD

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

My tire plans are:

Nokian NBX Lite 2.0 for damp to dry.

Kenda Knarly 2.10 front and Hutchinson Spider Air Light 2.0 rear if raining/wet.

I have used Python Air Lights on both ends in the past with good results.

You could use the Twister on the rear in the dry. I would want a bit more tread on the front.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    If the course conditions are anything like the afternoon races last year, your road tires should be just the ticket.

Sabine

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine
    If the course conditions are anything like the afternoon races last year, your road tires should be just the ticket.

Sabine
    My "road tires"?
    Last year I used (in the afternoon) a Mutano 2.4 front and Schwalbe Fast Fred 2.35 rear (rigid fork). The Fast Fred was great, the Mutano stepped out a couple of times on the hardpack and sand.

Using a sussy fork this year.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    My "road tires"?
    Last year I used (in the afternoon) a Mutano 2.4 front and Schwalbe Fast Fred 2.35 rear (rigid fork). The Fast Fred was great, the Mutano stepped out a couple of times on the hardpack and sand.

Using a sussy fork this year.
    Yeah, road tires.

Sabine

Yeah, road tires.

Sabine
    What road tires? Explain please.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    What road tires? Explain please.
    Its called sarcasm.

Sabine

get down!

Good job!

Its called sarcasm.

Sabine
    easy with the sarcasm buddy, this is a SERIOUS board!

next thing you know he'll be pulling up your posts from the old board

ROAD TIRES! lol
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Its called sarcasm.

Sabine
    Missed its mark, whatever the mark was.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Missed its mark, whatever the mark was.
    Well then darn, you have a tricky mark to hit. I thought it was obvious that the road tire was a quip at the nontechnical, fast, tacky conditions of the course. Of course I wouldn't run a road tire, that would be silly.

If you must have only serious, pointed answers than I can offer this: I ran WTB Somekind of Raptor 2.0s last year.

No worries though. I am content with humoring myself if I have too.

Good luck in your race. We don't get to race with you guys this year. Now, who will blow bubbles at the start line?

Sabine