sea otter classic info & stolen SS is back home- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6

    Smile sea otter classic info & stolen SS is back home


    hey all you SS'ers...Anyone heading to the 'sea otter'? I just wondered what the course may be like if anyone has done it b4. Also what gear to use?

    I am a lucky & blessed gal....after my SS was stolen 3 wks ago it has been returned to me. I guess it helps that i had 8x10 photos of it in every bike shop, asked anyone I saw riding to look out for it, asked bike couriers & kept in touch with the cops. I figure whoever stole it didn't know what it was & since it is hard to part out; it would show up here somewhere. And sure enough it was found at a homeless shelter. Just where I thought it would be. Lucky, lucky lucky!! And boy am I happy again. A happy ending to a story that usually isn't.

  2. #2
    Bikes not Bombs.....
    Reputation: SS Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    508

    Good spin on the Karma wheel.....

    Congratulations on the return of your ride. Obviously, you are a good person, and the spin on the Karma wheel graced you with good fortune.

    Welcome to this board and there will no doubt be tonnage of Ss'er at Sea Otter.

    Are you from the local area?????

    JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by shift-les

    hey all you SS'ers...Anyone heading to the 'sea otter'? I just wondered what the course may be like if anyone has done it b4. Also what gear to use?

    I am a lucky & blessed gal....after my SS was stolen 3 wks ago it has been returned to me. I guess it helps that i had 8x10 photos of it in every bike shop, asked anyone I saw riding to look out for it, asked bike couriers & kept in touch with the cops. I figure whoever stole it didn't know what it was & since it is hard to part out; it would show up here somewhere. And sure enough it was found at a homeless shelter. Just where I thought it would be. Lucky, lucky lucky!! And boy am I happy again. A happy ending to a story that usually isn't.
    I will be at Sea Otter (thurs-sun). I like to use a gear just under 2:1 or my usual 36 x 21 / 34 x 20 depending on my fitness level. On the General board "sea otter" has posted a pretty good description on the course. Hope to meet you there. Congrats on recovering your bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    Congratulations on the return of your ride. Obviously, you are a good person, and the spin on the Karma wheel graced you with good fortune.

    Welcome to this board and there will no doubt be tonnage of Ss'er at Sea Otter.

    Are you from the local area?????

    JS
    My local area is Victoria, BC Canada.........that is why i ask what gear to use.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    I will be at Sea Otter (thurs-sun). I like to use a gear just under 2:1 or my usual 36 x 21 / 34 x 20 depending on my fitness level. On the General board "sea otter" has posted a pretty good description on the course. Hope to meet you there. Congrats on recovering your bike.
    Hi Shiggy,
    I ride a 32x20 but have an 18 & a 16 cog. I guess if I do make it there I could just try the course & then make adjustments if needed. .....thanks

  6. #6
    The race, not the animal!
    Reputation: sea otter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    98

    Like Shiggy said, go 2:1

    Quote Originally Posted by shift-les
    Hi Shiggy,
    I ride a 32x20 but have an 18 & a 16 cog. I guess if I do make it there I could just try the course & then make adjustments if needed. .....thanks
    I ride 90% of the Sea Otter course four days a week and I run and 34 x 17 without much of a problem. Two hills are a bit steep, but to be honest, during the Sport XC cat. last year I witnessed a whole bunch of geared boys pushing their bikes up those hills as well. The Otter course has a bunch of fire roads that you can "spin out" if you ratio is too high.

    Good luck in the race, so far the weather here has been awesome and the course is in pretty good shape.
    Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount a Single Speed!. This is your moment. Ride On !!!

Similar Threads

  1. The Sea Otter Classic: Retro Gathering 2004
    By Rumpfy in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 09:14 PM
  2. Sea Otter Course - 101
    By sea otter in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 09:13 AM
  3. Womens' SS categories at Sea Otter
    By Sabine in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 11:11 PM
  4. Gearing Selections for Racing Sea Otter on a SS
    By lml1x in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 09:58 AM
  5. Sea Otter Classic: Retro Gathering 2004 (x-post)
    By Rumpfy in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 09:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.