SE Stout or Kona Unit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

SE Stout or Kona Unit

I've had a Trek Fuel Ex for a while, but it really doesn't fit the way I ride anymore. Probably over 95% of my riding is on paved and/or limestone trails now. I've been looking at getting something more akin to my riding style and stumbled upon the two bikes in the title.

The Kona is more expensive, but seems to have some components on it that warrant the price difference. I guess my question is, overall which one do you like better or would you rather ride? I'm going to check them out this weekend at a local dealer, but thought I would try to see what you guys thought the differences between them would be.

mtbr member
    Go se stout it will be less expensive and will ride well for ur type o riding
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

mtbr member
    There is really no comparison; The Kona is from an established company and has name brand components. The SE is from someone I never heard of and the only name brand parts on the bike are the tires. It will cost you more than the price difference to put disc brakes on the SE and the Kona comes in 5 sizes to the SE's 4 so you should be able to get a better fit on the Kona.

mtbr member
    SE is an established company, but they are known for BMX bikes. To the OP given your type of riding the SE should be fine.

Apr 2007
    Have you thought about going with a cross bike? Seems like for the riding you do, it would be better.

But between those two, Kona.

Ovaries on the Outside
    SE is an established company and make good bikes. I'd rather have a Kona, but in your case, maybe a cross bike is a better call. Any reason for a 29er SS?

mtbr member
    I have an se stout and it's awesome no complaints whatsoever
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

mtbr member
    I love my Stout. And at the risk of being banished from the forum, I hate disc brakes so stick with rim brakes. Never ridden the Kona but while the components may not be top shelf, I would put my money on the Stout frameset strength wise. And if you aren't doing hard riding, there is no point in dumping too much money into a bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I went and rode them yesterday and loved the Kona. The Stout was nice, but the Kona put me in a riding position that I'm more used to coming from my Treks. Thank you for the all the info though!

Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    . Any reason for a 29er SS?
    I've wanted a 29er for quite some time. I like the way they ride a lot.

When looking online, I kind of stumbled on SS by accident. I've always had the most gears I could on a bike, but the simplicity of it kind of got my interest. Went and rode it and really liked it. I can imagine I'll have some getting used to on long climbs, but i rode bmx for 10 years, so im sure ill be able to manage eventually.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I meant to ask..in the meantime before i get the Kona, what are some good cross bikes to look at in the $800-$1000 range?

Members who have read this thread: 0