Schwinn Willy SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Schwinn Willy SS

Any input on this bike? I have a GT Traffic 5.0 and is great, but really want a steel bike for the comfort. The aluminum frame take a tool on my enjoyment and palms. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Willy 1-speed | Schwinn Bicycles

its 199.99 on amazon now from bikes direct I presume

Amazon.com: Schwinn Willy Single Speed Medium/Large (700c): Sports & Outdoors

Thanks
    BMX baby!

mtbr member
    It's more of a townie bike, not a mountain bike. If I were looking for a steel townie bike, I'd look at the Schwinn Coffee singlespeed -- mainly because front and rear handbrakes, whereas the Willy has a coaster brake in the back (and I prefer handbrakes and being able to set my pedals back when I stop).

mtbr member
    Personally, I would go for a bike from SE Racing. They have the Draft (hi-ten steel) in the $200 range and the Lager (Chromoly-much better) in the $300 range. You can find them all over online. An ex had a Lager that she turned into more of a townie cruiser and it was a solid enough bike for the purpose. And if you want a coaster brake I believe they offer that in some models.
    The Schwinn you linked to is likely hi-ten steel too, fyi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    Personally, I would go for a bike from SE Racing. They have the Draft (hi-ten steel) in the $200 range and the Lager (Chromoly-much better) in the $300 range. You can find them all over online. An ex had a Lager that she turned into more of a townie cruiser and it was a solid enough bike for the purpose. And if you want a coaster brake I believe they offer that in some models.
    The Schwinn you linked to is likely hi-ten steel too, fyi.
    Haven't ridden a Lager, but I did have a Draft for a while to review on my blog. I found it to be a good bike for the money. You can read more here: SE Draft Review

I'm sure the Lager is good too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a GT traffic 5.0 now with aluminum frame and is ok. I just want a smooth ride for longer commutes. 10 plus miles. The Traffic is great but too rigid. I do not want suspension either since my older Cannondale F5 was painful with street tires. Moral is that I prefer hybrid/comfort bike
    BMX baby!

Members who have read this thread: 0