SC Chameleon for a Street bike (24" rims like NS/Tonic/BlackMarket)??- Mtbr.com
    Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009

SC Chameleon for a Street bike (24" rims like NS/Tonic/BlackMarket)??

Hi folks

Thanks for all the help in the past. So, I have an 01 Small Chameleon frame. I ride a Medium/Large in these bikes. I've been looking a lot at the Street movement with NS Bikes, Black Market, Tonic, Union Street (here's a link if you want to see what I mean: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho....php?t=200256). I was thinking I could throw one of these BMX-style cranksets on my Chameleon with 24" rims, a rigid fork, and BMX-style handlebars (pretty much like everything in the photo). The geometry is pretty aggressive -- very close to the bikes in this picture. I guess I'd like to build something that is just fun for ripping around town over winter -- obviously not for the trails. I'd want it to be super light and Chameleons already are. With a small frame this bike would have that feel I'd think. Is this idea totally hair-brained or possible? Figured I'd ask some folks before I put out the do-re-me. Thanks and happy turkey day!
    Note: I just checked the TT length for the small Chameleon and all the NS bikes (http://www.ns-bikes.com/) and they're both 21.5 inches, which is pretty interesting.

mtbr member
    You'd need to consider how you were going to add brakes since the rear triangle is designed around a 26" wheel.

Cranks are cranks, guys run aggressive mtb cranks on bmx bikes and vice versa, just make sure that the BB is appropriate to the crank/bb shell.

Not sure what you mean by BMX style bars since those bikes just have standard riser bars but with 50mm or less stems.

Rigid fork would be the hard part since Chameleons have very steep HT angles, as they're designed around big forks. I'm running a rigid fork with a 426mm a-c and its handling is very twitchy, I also only have about 4" of ground clearance with the pedal all the way down. I think something along the lines of 450+mm a-c would be perfect

Any reason you want 24" wheels over 26"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The main thing I'd be worried about is a shortish rigid fork and the 24" wheels making the BB too low. Between suspension correct 26" and 29er forks, you should be able to find an axle-crown that makes the SC rideable but quick handling. If you do it, and you haven't bought cranks yet, I'd buy the shortest ones I could.

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the help! Yes, that is a really good point about the BB being too low with 24" rims and a rigid fork. Imagine the suckage if I had built it up to find that out. Could you recommend a fork that might do the job? I'm thinking of the Kona Project 2, Surly Instigator, Salsa CroMoto, or a Mosso fork. I can't think of anything with 450+mm a-c out there?

mtbr member
    Instigator should be fine, I think its around 440mm. The salsa cromoto is also available in a 450mm version. Most of the taller forks are 29er rigid forks which likely wouldnt be strong enough for abusive riding.

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Cool. You're not liking the Kona Project 2 fork? That fork should be tall enough and suspension-friendly. I'm trying to go budget and Salsa tends to be on the expensive side. I just need something for street-only riding. Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm running a Sun Ringle fork and its just too short for the geometry on the bike. Its designed to replace an 80mm fork, Chameleons are designed for a 100-140mm fork.

Is this going to be a commuter or more of a trick bike? You might be happy with 26s and a SS setup, even still I'd look into the Surly instigator fork if you're not needing a 20mmTA front wheel. You can get them new for $80 or so

Members who have read this thread: 0