SC Chameleon, medium, too small for me?- Mtbr.com
    (was) Big in Japan

SC Chameleon, medium, too small for me?

Evil thoughts are running through my head....

I am 5' 10", and have seen a deal here in Japan on a medium Chameleon. I want to ride it mostly XC, with some delusions of jumping/hardcore thrown in. According to SC's website, I am right on the borderline btwn M and L. Will the M be too small for comfortable XC? It might become my main ride, so could tackle some long-uns.

One more Q, will the stiff frame beat me up?

Thanks for any help, especially the SCCSSers (Santa Cruz Chameleon Single Speeders)!

Cheers,

Chris
    Ride.

banned
    Apr 2004

You will be sad if you get a medium

Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    Evil thoughts are running through my head....

I am 5' 10", and have seen a deal here in Japan on a medium Chameleon. I want to ride it mostly XC, with some delusions of jumping/hardcore thrown in. According to SC's website, I am right on the borderline btwn M and L. Will the M be too small for comfortable XC? It might become my main ride, so could tackle some long-uns.

One more Q, will the stiff frame beat me up?

Thanks for any help, especially the SCCSSers (Santa Cruz Chameleon Single Speeders)!

Cheers,

Chris
    I'm also 5' 10" riding a large with a 120mm stem, fits perfect, handles great, only beats you up when screaming down the rough stuff.

Daddy of 3 now!

sizing

I went with a '04 Large Lizard. I'm 5' 10" 1/2 using a Z1 5" fork. I use strictly as a xc trail bike, set up with gears. I initially rode with a 90mm stem and it handled extremely well, but I felt a lil cramped so I purchased a new 100mm stem. Fits great, but I could have went with the 110mm stem. The long uphill climbs still feels a lil cramped, but I like that I can stretch behind the seat on the technical downhill sections. I don't jump so I can't say if a med. is better, I can only assume so. "never Assume" Seeing that you want to ride some long xc rides I would say go with the large.
    Good luck either way. The Chameleon is a great bike.
    fyi, my previous bike was a Large '03 Bullit and I went back to a hardtail. All and all I really don't miss the full squish. Some rough sections yes, but the Chameleon really doesn't beat you up that much.2-3hr rides are perfect. With the Z1 up front handling all the trail imperfections I really made a great choice for a hardtail.
    Some day I will join the SCCSS club, but I like having the gears where I ride in the Northeast.
    Peace!!

(was) Big in Japan

Thanks

Thanks guys, I think you have really helped me make up my mind. I will keep looking for something a little bigger. Damn countries with lots of small people!
    Ride.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Good call. I'm 6'1" and ride an XL 2004 Chameleon. It's about perfect for XC, but with a shorter TT than similarly sized bikes. Get one that fits you and you'll be very happy!

mtbr member
    I have a med and im 5'8" if fits nice, but I like them a little smaller for technical stuff.
    You definitly need a large. But they are tough and light. Great bikes!!!

USB Rep'n
    I have to add the one dissenting opinion. Im 5-9" and use a medium with a 50mm stem for jumping/park. Fits great for that. On xc rides, I throw on an 80mm (could prolly go 100 if I really wanted) and it feels great there too. I run mine fairly slack with a 130mm Sherman on it but I really don't feel cramped. I took my Blizzard out for an xc ride this past weekend and while it performed amazingly, the Chameleon felt every bit as comfy (although I use big tires on it which helps). Anyway, I think you should go large if you want an xc bike, go medium if you think you might want to get funky on it. The medium can be "stretched" for xc with a long stem and setback post. The large can't be shrunk for jumping. Just something to consider.

nam (SCCSS member)
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member

(SCCSS member)

I have a 2004 large and really wish I had a medium. I am 5' 7" but I like being a little stretched out. If anyone wants to trade I am willing to listen.