Saving weight on a GF Pig,,I mean Rig- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Saving weight on a GF Pig,,I mean Rig

Okay so my new to me Rig has some weight issues. I am looking at ways to carve some of that weight and have a few ideas that will begin as I find the parts on the cheap hopefully. First to go is gonna be the bashguard unless someone can really convince me that I need it. Years of riding gears and one riding a 26 SS and I have only once bent a sprocket. If I have to keep it, it is getting the grinder and losing some beef.

Next up- that seatpost, the bars, maybe a stem. Oh and Stans is happening, just gotta take the wheels to work so I can use my compressor. I am looking at the EBB threads and see some lighter units out there. Anyone modded the stock one? Lots of material there, just not sure if it all needs to be there for strength. I may do some Crank Bros. pedals but have never tried them (pedals are the only place I am partial to Shimano even with the extra heft- they just work) so we will see if I come across some real cheap or can demo. Seat post clamp to a binder bolt style, cranks/BB someday.

Problem is I want reliability with light weight. Sometimes it is there, but other parts require compormise. WHo has some experience with light parts? I want the good, the bad and the ugly.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

himom!
    Apr 2006
    It would help to list the components.....

Generally, you should start with the tires/tubes/wheels. This is where you will feel the weight loss the most.

mtbr member
    Go with DT 240's laced to Stan's Arch rims. Light and durable. The Bushnell EBB weighs a mere 140 grams and mine has been trouble free for a long time. Crank Eggbeater SL's are a good, solid pedal with most bang for the buck, weight-wise. Lose the bashguard, I ride my 29er SS with a 32 up front and no guard.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Exclusively Single

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links! Bash guard is a goner today if I can find my spare bolts. Seatpost is being looked for now and like I said- tubeless too! Thanks again!

Is the Bushnell what is in the Rig now stock?

Sweep the leg!
    It'd be cool if GF was putting a lighter EBB in the '08 Pig but I hadn't heard any mention of that happening. Two years ago I looked into a Bushnell in my '06 Pig and found that it wouldn't work. I see now Bushnell has a page detailing how you can determine if your EBB shell can take their EBB.

As for getting a Pig down to a weight where it can be called a "Rig" again it just takes money. I had mine down to 22.6# (19" frame) with reliable parts, 21.6# with road rims but they didn't live for long. Creepyfriendly (Jesse Lalonde) has his SSWC Rig (17.5" frame) down to 18.4# but he's running V-brakes and a lot of carbon fiber and titanium.

My biggest weight loss parts were... King rear hub/Hugi front hub, Bontrager Race X-lite fork, Bontrager Race X-lite ACC post, Eggbeaters, Selle Italia Flite saddle, and custom drilling 100g off my stock EBB.

You're lucky to have a slightly lighter frame so you should be ahead of the old 27.5# stock weight.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    pics of that drilled EBB please!

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    pics of that drilled EBB please!
    It isn't pretty but it hasn't slipped once. Starting weight was ~300g and after surgery it was down to ~196g.

And the Fe2+ it lives in now. Squint and you can see it...
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

awesome
    everything they said + a crankset, the stock one is heavy and flexy imho

mtbr member
    Thanks for the other replies and CP that is ugly but if it works that is a lot of weight. I have access to a machine shop and may take your idea, have it done in a pretty fashion, get teh measurements and make it both of our idea! First I need a EBB for a replacement in case it goes horribly worng!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    last time i checked, the bushnell EBB is smaller than the Pig's. but Carver is making a nice one that is 200g (the Pig's is ~300g). Bikemann is selling it for ~$100, iirc

i replace my cranks with 180 RF forged, saved ~100g, and got stiffer

bars with monkeylites, stem and post with thomson

then i went and blew all that savings by rebuilding the rims on Phil Kiss-Offs, with a WI freewheel. bombproof, but not light.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biotruth
    last time i checked, the bushnell EBB is smaller than the Pig's. but Carver is making a nice one that is 200g (the Pig's is ~300g). Bikemann is selling it for ~$100, iirc

i replace my cranks with 180 RF forged, saved ~100g, and got stiffer

bars with monkeylites, stem and post with thomson

then i went and blew all that savings by rebuilding the rims on Phil Kiss-Offs, with a WI freewheel. bombproof, but not light.

Well I didn't check it out, but isn't the Rig BB 68mm
    vs everybody else's 73mm?

I could be very wrong...

mtbr member

22 lbs

I got this Pig down to 22 lbs. But that EEB mod looks tight. Thats probably going to be my next project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Speeder
    Well I didn't check it out, but isn't the Rig BB 68mm
    vs everybody else's 73mm?

I could be very wrong...

i think they're referring to diameter.

mtbr member
    The Carver EBB is on sale at BikeMan now for $79.99, and they do have the Rig specific one. I just ordered one for my Zion, now this thing is heavy I have no idea how to really get it far down on the weight scale but I am trying. I have the eggbeaters, FSA crabon crank, Stan's (but the wheels are probably just heavy alone), SLR saddle, Thomson stem and post, flat bar. So I just ordered the On-one suprlight steel fork and that new EBB so lets see if it makes a difference.

Good Luck with yours bro, I would say the place where you can make a lot of difference is in the wheels. I am pretty sure what you are looking for is a bike that feels light when you pick it up, it takes quite a bit to get there but it can be done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Mtbr
    The 2008 Rig XL is 25.38lbs without pedals. The Crank arms with new Bash Guard now weigh 635 Grams. Some ways to save weight on the new rig include upgrading to an XT SS Crankset, going tubeless with bontragers system, getting new wheels for a lot of money, getting a new seatpost(original is about 300 Grams), new stem(original is 200 Grams), new handlebar(original is 200 Grams), Grips, and thats it. My 2008 Rig has a Syncros Ti seatpost, a Race X Lite Stem, a Race Lite Handlebar, Race X Lite foam grips, and soon to be new crank and going tubeless. Right now the bike is about 24.7 without pedals, and it should be a tad under 24 with the new crank and tubeless. I'll add before/after pics tomorrow.

EDIT: Add Pictures

BTW: I think the new rig has the new Bushnell EBB, which is very very light(about 150 Grams).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dbo43867; 12-15-2007 at 08:43 AM.
    2008 Rig

Sweep the leg!
    184g with a mill and lathe? Now I'm really proud of my ghetto 196g job! Dewalt cordless baby!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i just found a new way to save weight! break off some of the metal in the weld joining the seatpost to the top tube!

seriously, got back from my ride today and found the weld completely cracked open. thank whomever it didn't happen as i was descending at 30mph down the dirt road to the car.

now i have to go find the warranty threads for the peeg

boba fett on a bike
    I just picked up a new 07 Rig...err Pig. I'm thinking of ways to save weight myself. Anyone know the bone stock weight of the 07? Also, I'm having trouble finding stock weights of most of the parts (stem, seatpost, handlebar, etc).

Thanks. Let's keep this thread going. I'm interested in hearing more about your 07s.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
    Also, I'm having trouble finding stock weights of most of the parts (stem, seatpost, handlebar, etc).
    :
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/

Mtbr
    I looked at the EBB, it's actually the old one. Sorry for misleading anyone.
    2008 Rig

mtbr member
    2008 Rig.
    Crossmax wheels, tubeless, Easton carbon sl bar, easton ea70 carbon seatpost, Ergon grips. Chris king 20t cog. 23.1 lbs. w/o pedals. (weighed with the late ACX tires)

Members who have read this thread: 0