SASS Tensioner- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: SASS Tensioner

  1. #1
    HIYAH
    Reputation: heeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    754

    SASS Tensioner

    So I have been loving the new SASS and riding Fully Rigid with one Gear...the first time since jumping curbs at the 7-11 when I was 12...

    I was going to put a Spot Rocket chain tensioner on the drive side in place of the two bianchi tensioners...but...

    The spot rocket tensioner bolts barely hit the inside of the dropout due to the apparently thin steel dropouts...they do hit, but not by much...

    Also the spot hub does not seem to work without the stock tensioners in place, the non-drive side will not tighten up becuase the washers have an inner lip that meets up with the hubs outer lip again due to the thin dropouts...when the stock tensioners are in place it takes up the slack...

    Did that make sense...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4

    Good job!

    That made sense as I had to remove the tensioners to fit a 34T chainring. I would suggest fitting a washer (oversized OD 5/8)which didi th trick. The tensioners are useful but ....

    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    So I have been loving the new SASS and riding Fully Rigid with one Gear...the first time since jumping curbs at the 7-11 when I was 12...

    I was going to put a Spot Rocket chain tensioner on the drive side in place of the two bianchi tensioners...but...

    The spot rocket tensioner bolts barely hit the inside of the dropout due to the apparently thin steel dropouts...they do hit, but not by much...

    Also the spot hub does not seem to work without the stock tensioners in place, the non-drive side will not tighten up becuase the washers have an inner lip that meets up with the hubs outer lip again due to the thin dropouts...when the stock tensioners are in place it takes up the slack...

    Did that make sense...

  3. #3
    Derailleurs owned: 0
    Reputation: c0jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    354
    Show us some detail pictures of the problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    So I have been loving the new SASS and riding Fully Rigid with one Gear...the first time since jumping curbs at the 7-11 when I was 12...

    I was going to put a Spot Rocket chain tensioner on the drive side in place of the two bianchi tensioners...but...

    The spot rocket tensioner bolts barely hit the inside of the dropout due to the apparently thin steel dropouts...they do hit, but not by much...

    Also the spot hub does not seem to work without the stock tensioners in place, the non-drive side will not tighten up becuase the washers have an inner lip that meets up with the hubs outer lip again due to the thin dropouts...when the stock tensioners are in place it takes up the slack...

    Did that make sense...

  4. #4
    190lbs of climber
    Reputation: Menso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,446

    take out a link

    Quote Originally Posted by On-One

    Also the spot hub does not seem to work without the stock tensioners in place, the non-drive side will not tighten up becuase the washers have an inner lip that meets up with the hubs outer lip again due to the thin dropouts...when the stock tensioners are in place it takes up the slack...

    Did that make sense...
    I have an SASS and had tension problems too.. the wheel kept on slipping forward since the little tensioner thingies the SASS comes with don't even contact the frame in factory set up. To solve it I took a link out of the chain. It's a tight fit but a haven't had to worry about tension since, although I am thinking about looking for a compatible half link.

    love the bike though, but I'm riding squishy now since I... ahem... parked car... cough cough... don't wanna think about it..
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

  5. #5
    HIYAH
    Reputation: heeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    I have an SASS and had tension problems too.. the wheel kept on slipping forward since the little tensioner thingies the SASS comes with don't even contact the frame in factory set up. To solve it I took a link out of the chain. It's a tight fit but a haven't had to worry about tension since, although I am thinking about looking for a compatible half link.

    love the bike though, but I'm riding squishy now since I... ahem... parked car... cough cough... don't wanna think about it..

    I was finally able to make it work with one of the stock tugs...I now see the overwhelming advantage of pauls type drop outs! Anyway take note: SPOT ROCKET TUGS DO NOT WORK WITH SASS FRAMES! So I have a Spot Rocket that I guess I will mount to the fridge to open beers with...

    BTW it much easier to deal with the rear wheel with only one tug instead of two.

  6. #6
    Derailleurs owned: 0
    Reputation: c0jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    354

    D.I.S.S. compatible?

    Is the only problem with using Spot Rockets on S.A.S.S. caused by the thin steel dropouts?

    Will they work on a D.I.S.S. frame? (dropouts are more than 1/4 inch thick)


    Quote Originally Posted by On-One
    I was finally able to make it work with one of the stock tugs...I now see the overwhelming advantage of pauls type drop outs! Anyway take note: SPOT ROCKET TUGS DO NOT WORK WITH SASS FRAMES! So I have a Spot Rocket that I guess I will mount to the fridge to open beers with...

    BTW it much easier to deal with the rear wheel with only one tug instead of two.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    HIYAH
    Reputation: heeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    754

    YEs

    Yesyes

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4
    The problem that seems to turn up regularily is wheel slipping when tightened. There are simple things to be done that will help this:

    Degrease all mating surfaces where friction is your friend
    Clean the internal threads of the Spot hub as they will probably have metal shavings in the threads.
    Clean the bolt threads and apply a small amount of grease, where friction is not your friend!
    Apply grease to the under the head of the bolt

    Torque and ride

Similar Threads

  1. Paul's SS Chain Tensioner?
    By MTBXC in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 10:38 AM
  2. A new alternate to a chain tensioner...maybe?
    By Rude-e in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:54 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 10:02 PM
  4. TENSIONER vs, NO TENSIONER
    By erkstone in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 06:58 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 04:13 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.